Wammer Plus
Jul 21, 2005
West London/ Watford
AKA
Testy
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Glens of Antrim wrote:

The Bach fest's on telly as well - BBC2 is performing an organ work every night. Surprisingly good they are too
From when to when??? About time the Organ got centre stage for a change:)

E

earl of sodbury

Anyone hear the Toccata & Fugue in D Minor performed on violin? Fucking terrible - sounded like a grade-3 pupil scratching-it out, forget the transcriber/performer's name, but quite one of the worst things I've ever heard, can only guess he was destroyed by nerves. Otherwise there's been an avalanche of marvellous stuff, so that, as ever, I stand before the towering pinnacle of Bach's work, without knowing how to get so much as the first hand-hold...... One day I'll find the time...

churz, eofs

Boxer

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 2, 2005
Andrew Manze did a good version on a BBC Music magazine freeebie a while back, along with various sonatas & partitas. An interesting take on the piece IMHO.

Boxer

Glens of Antrim

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 25, 2005
Norn Iron, , United
earl of sodbury wrote:

Anyone hear the Toccata & Fugue in D Minor performed on violin? Fucking terrible - sounded like a grade-3 pupil scratching-it out, forget the transcriber/performer's name, but quite one of the worst things I've ever heard, can only guess he was destroyed by nerves. Otherwise there's been an avalanche of marvellous stuff, so that, as ever, I stand before the towering pinnacle of Bach's work, without knowing how to get so much as the first hand-hold...... One day I'll find the time...churz, eofs
A big part of Bach's genius was his ability - 4 times out of 5 - to recycle his compositions in new & beautiful ways. During his Leipzig pomp his workload was terrifyingly heavy - teacher, theoriatition & fecund church & civil composer.Plus he has more children than Adam.

Please listen to the Radio 3 Bach-fest. The quality of the players - Angela Hewitt, Eliot Gardiner, Emma Kirby, The Sixteen - usedare cutting edge. And lose yourself in the mixture of JS's formality, emotion, humanity & tunefulness. Blooming brilliant
biggrin.png

And as Claire Francis just pointed outhe wrote dance music better than anyone.

GofA

Testure

Clean gloves hide dirty hands
Wammer Plus
Jul 21, 2005
West London/ Watford
AKA
Testy
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Glens of Antrim wrote:

Testure wrote:
Glens of Antrim wrote:
The Bach fest's on telly as well - BBC2 is performing an organ work every night. Surprisingly good they are too
From when to when??? About time the Organ got centre stage for a change:)
After Newsnight T

GofA
Sorry Glenn, looked through the Radio Times, and can't find anything during Christmas on BBC2:Not Sure:, please help

Cheers Testy

Glens of Antrim

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 25, 2005
Norn Iron, , United
Testure wrote:

Sorry Glenn, looked through the Radio Times, and can't find anything during Christmas on BBC2:Not Sure:, please help

Cheers Testy
Hi Testy, sorry it was on last week :Unhappy: I thought it was carried on into this week, butI was wrong. Apologies.

GofA

Testure

Clean gloves hide dirty hands
Wammer Plus
Jul 21, 2005
West London/ Watford
AKA
Testy
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Glens of Antrim wrote:

Testure wrote:

Cheers Testy
Hi Testy, sorry it was on last week :Unhappy: I thought it was carried on into this week, butI was wrong. Apologies.

GofA
No probs, thanks again anyway:lwink:

Testy

kennyk

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Glens of Antrim wrote:

You learn something every day...The Beatles' Blackbird was based on a Bach melody

party4.gif.af93715a971cd102256f35cade2c9c1e.gif
Billy Joel's Uptown girl was based on a Mozart melody as well.

Spinal tap's 'Lick My Love Pump' was based on Mozart and Bach, a kind of Mach piece...
tongue.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.