Wammer
Jul 27, 2005
The Hoo Peninsula
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
My Creek Evo CD Player is knackered, not reading discs. Yesterday with the help of a mate (alright he did 90% of the work, I held things for the other 10%) we changed the laser mech, which is not the easiest job in the world. Anyway turned it back on and Hey Presto 'No Disc'.

Other than sending it back to Creek, any ideas?

Cheers BB

The Strat

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 17, 2005
Buckingham, UK
AKA
Lindsay
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I don't know the Evo but I'd have thought probably not worth the cost of repair? Loads of good CDPs out there Rega Apollo is the best of the current crop at real world prices perhaps?

Brown Bottle

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 27, 2005
The Hoo Peninsula
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I don't know the Evo but I'd have thought probably not worth the cost of repair? Loads of good CDPs out there Rega Apollo is the best of the current crop at real world prices perhaps?
Hi Lindsay, I just wondered if there was something I might be missing. I certainly wont be sending it to Creek, I have had a problem with both my Amp and CD Player and I haven't been impressed with their customer service. Unfortunately even real world prices are currently out of reach so it's DVD player for now.

Cheers BB

istari knight

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 28, 2005
South downs
AKA
James
What did you change ? The whole transport or just the laser block ? 99% have an "anti-static point" that requires desoldering before use... I assume that was done ? If not it wont work at all.

V

Voice_Coil

Its not as simple as just swapping the laser, LOL

But people WILL take short cuts.

V

Voice_Coil

That's the point of the thread, I assumed there might be something else! Cheers BB
Some lasers require mechanical adjustment too....then theres the servo...yadda yadda...

The Strat

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 17, 2005
Buckingham, UK
AKA
Lindsay
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi Lindsay, I just wondered if there was something I might be missing. I certainly wont be sending it to Creek, I have had a problem with both my Amp and CD Player and I haven't been impressed with their customer service. Unfortunately even real world prices are currently out of reach so it's DVD player for now.Cheers BB
In which case I would raid the Flea pit for a cheap DAC.

istari knight

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 28, 2005
South downs
AKA
James
Some lasers require mechanical adjustment too....then theres the servo...yadda yadda...
Indeed. Yet not a single one I've replaced has required it & to my knowledge all are still working now. Can you recall if the antistatic point was removed Steve ? They vary between manufacturers but all are very similar in execution to this:

anti_static.jpg

If your friend did remove it then you need to observe what happens when a disc is inserted... To quote from Lukasz Fikus website which I've always found helpful in such situations:

1. Open the player's hood

2. Put an original factory made CD with clean surface and press drawer CLOSE button.

3. Does the drawer close fully?

4. If 3 is yes, then does the CD spin at all?

5. If 4 is yes, does it spin for 2-3 seconds or for over 10 seconds? Does it spin VERY FAST like crazy or with somewhat controlled speed ?

6. If the 5 answer is - controlled speed and 2-3 seconds - the laser is alive and it can detect the beam reflection from the disc surface.

Tips: if the laser is dead, the CD will not spin at all. The CD motor has a signal to start spinning only after the laser heads reports: "reflective surface detected at the height where CD is expected to be ".

Brown Bottle

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 27, 2005
The Hoo Peninsula
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Indeed. Yet not a single one I've replaced has required it & to my knowledge all are still working now. Can you recall if the antistatic point was removed Steve ? They vary between manufacturers but all are very similar in execution to this:
anti_static.jpg

If your friend did remove it then you need to observe what happens when a disc is inserted... To quote from Lukasz Fikus website which I've always found helpful in such situations:
Hi James, no we din't do anything with the anti static protection, we didn't know about it. The problem is that the disc doesn't start spinning, as in Tips above.

Cheers BB

istari knight

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 28, 2005
South downs
AKA
James
In that case you need to find the anti-static point & remove it... Whilst in place it shorts the laser so it wont work at all.

If you can post what model the laser is I'll look for the datasheet which will show where to find it :)

seasidersrock

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 8, 2009
Blackpool
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You could also consider the replacement laser is U/S.

Philips stopped production, whats available from the Far East in my own experience dont meet Philips spec and are cheap copys.

I had the same problem replacing a VAM 1250 in my Maestro, only sorted by sourcing an original Philips produced unit....

Just a thought............

seasidersrock

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 8, 2009
Blackpool
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You could give Colin at Chevron Audio a ring..... He sorted out my Maestro, one of the good guys and prices are reasonable.

istari knight

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 28, 2005
South downs
AKA
James
James, it's a Philips VAM1201 laser assemblyCheers BB
Ah, okay... I do recall fitting one into a Marantz CD67 - Theres no antistatic point on it, just a shorting clip that sits along the ribbon cable connectors... That needs be left on until the very last moment otherwise its goodbye new laser.

Its one of those situations where there's so many variables involved its very hard to advise... Of all the laser's I've changed [dozens] these are the biggest PITA. I'd send it back to Creek for repair & then flog it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.