Wammer
Mar 20, 2006
In a field
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi All

Just wondering how people out there clean their vinyl who have no over expensive vacuum cleaning gizmo, nor like using the Nosti brush n bath method ?

Gilman

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 11, 2007
Edinburgh, , United
Begin with a dry wipe using some velvet or similar. Put some clean water in the sink and add some mild detergent. Push a knitting needle through the whole and twirl through the water. Rinse in clean water, hang out to dry.

chezi61

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Fife , Scotland.
Ant wrote:

I've got a cheap vacuum cleaning gizmo KAB.
and me. Isopropyl alcohol/distilled water and a couple of drops of fairy liquid with a Goldring carbon fibre/velvet brush .

Works a treat , even with new vinyl.
smile.png

chezi

Matt J

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 7, 2006
Not Derbyshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Can you get wipes or something similar? mine arent that dirty but would like to just get rid of some of the greasy finger prints that tend to get covered in!

Emma Royd

Super Wammer Plus
Wammer
May 10, 2006
Dartford
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Cas wrote:

Hi AllJust wondering how people out there clean their vinyl who have no over expensive vacuum cleaning gizmo, nor like using the Nosti brush n bath method ?
I've got a Disco-Antistat you can have for a fiver(to cover postage) or pick-up for nothing.

Hand held thingy,used but in good nick.

hifi addict

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 28, 2006
Hastings/ Crete
www.hifitraders.co.uk
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I had a book which which I bought from hifi news it said to use PVA glue. paint it on then leave it to dry so its clear then peal it off.

I tried it and ruined a few records because I couldnt wait for it to dry properly.

It worked but try it on some crappy records first. This is not a recomendation. Its something I read and tried. I would use a lorricraft now.

Its good but risky!!! be warned

hifi addict

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 28, 2006
Hastings/ Crete
www.hifitraders.co.uk
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I didn't find the PVA glue smelt but it can get messy. I ended up using a paint brush and painting it on the record. If you buy unbranded PVA it only costs about £5 for a gallon. But I did ruin a few records. So the record cleaning kit cost me about £6.

I will have to dig out the book I cant remember the name of it. It gave all sorts of weird DIY turntable projects. It was sold by Hifi News or orld about 6 years ago. Does any body remember? Did anybody else buy it?

reg

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 27, 2006
, ,
Emma Royd wrote:

Cas wrote:
Hi AllJust wondering how people out there clean their vinyl who have no over expensive vacuum cleaning gizmo, nor like using the Nosti brush n bath method ?
I've got a Disco-Antistat you can have for a fiver(to cover postage) or pick-up for nothing.

Hand held thingy,used but in good nick.
Have you?

I'm still after one.

JPG

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 26, 2007
Bristol
AKA
James
I use the AM stuff too. Also de-ionised water in a spray bottle and 2x microfibre cloths (or carbon brush and 1x cloth).

Spray record with Am cleaner. Clean with cloth. Immediately after (to prevent the Am stuff evaprating and leaving a residue*), I spray de-ionised water on the record. This is then mostly removed with a second microfibre cloth. The record is then left to dry.

Seems to work quite well. A second rinse would probably help, followed by spinning the record to dry it.

This is not for every play- every 3-6 months is probably fine even with regular useage. I use a carbon record brush brofre playing each side. If you get fingermarks on a record, it really needs the full clean.

After cleaning a new-secondhand record, it goes into a new poly-lined paper sleeve. If the original sleeve is printed/has artwork, that is left in the outer sleeve too.

This procedure would also work with the basic 900ml water + 100ml Isoprop alcohol + 2/3 drops of Fairey Liquid (In US use Ivory dish soap) recipe.

*it does- put a drop (or leave overspray) on the run run-out grooves, and it will leave a very difficult to remove residue.

Sorry for War and Peace.

johnniebaby

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 11, 2006
Midlands
AKA
John
I use the KAB-EV1 also, get very good results using home brewed cleaning fluid costing about £15 per gallon. The Kab is a huge improvement on the Knosti I used before.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.