Kegworth : Not a viable venue anymore

DUVET

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 7, 2021
Middle
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi just to keep you up to date with Kegworth as a venue . Currently  35 of the 71 bedrooms  are now serviced apartments on minimum six month let . These are located on the ground floor and half of the first floor.  There is obviously an issue with exclusivity ( noise )and that they have to look after the short term residents interests  . I did try to talk of a reduced show format in terms of numbers but Kegworth politely declined saying that logistically for them it will not work . Other venues along the central corridor of England are being visited and conversations being had. 

One issue we currently have is actually availability as postponed events from last year and early this year  have to be honoured by hotels and conference centres . So a lot are fully booked.  If we have to have a reduced format in terms of exhibitors to maintain  the shows presence next year I will let you know as early as possible. 

Last edited by a moderator:

MF 1000

Extreme Full Range 😱
Wammer Plus
Apr 5, 2011
Caego
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for the update and your unseen efforts.  Most of us will have probably guessed that the hotel at Keggie  would end up this way etc after the ‘issues’ surrounding this years show etc.

I hope the team can find a venue in a suitable location that can accommodate us ….maybe a change of date might assist in that too.

• Upvote
Reactions: Tony_J

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Fingers crossed another venue is found somewhere in the middle of the country[emoji1695] Maybe there could be a northern show and southern show if not with one in the spring and the other in the autumn just a thought[emoji848]
I think North London just off the M25 would work well
smile.png

Audio Al

Confirmed Super Numpty
Wammer
Nov 4, 2012
Boston, Lincs
AKA
Allen
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi just to keep you up to date with Kegworth as a venue . Currently  35 of the 71 bedrooms  are now serviced apartments on minimum six month let . These are located on the ground floor and half of the first floor.  There is obviously an issue with exclusivity ( noise )and that they have to look after the short term residents interests  . I did try to talk of a reduced show format in terms of numbers but Kegworth politely declined saying that logistically for them it will not work . Other venues along the central corridor of England are being visited and conversations being had. 

One issue we currently have is actually availability as postponed events from last year and early this year  have to be honoured by hotels and conference centres . So a lot are fully booked.  If we have to have a reduced format in terms of exhibitors to maintain  the shows presence next year I will let you know as early as possible. 
This is the reason I dropped out , Even tho eventually the show did not happen 

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As there is no more news and the time is marching on I would expect that the March date for the show is now getting very tight . Announcement of a venue and date would need to be very early Jan to get tickets sold etc  so perhaps it would be better to postpone now and try for May ? 

The above is just a suggestion I know that lots is being done in the back ground but this is not an easy show to sell to any venue. 

TECUMSEH VALLEY

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 17, 2010
NORFOLK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Certainly, the tentative suggestion made above of having a regional show possibly held on a bi-annual basis. pending a return to a full-scale national event does have some advantages.

Although the number of exhibitors would be reduced at a smaller venue,  the hire cost would be considerably lower.  Many potential exhibitors, could also travel with their kit and set up on the same day removing the need to book expensive overnight / sleeping accommodation..  I would imagine that suitable exhibition-room only type venues would be much easier to identify than hotels etc. .

Reactions: Non-Smoking Man

slavedata

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 2, 2009
Bottesford Melton
AKA
Dave Slater
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Not convinced of the viability of a format without overnight stay. It's just too much faff to fit into one day.

We just need to find a suitable central UK venue. I'm sure one of these seedy hotels currently running on asylum seeker takeover could accomodate us.

DUVET

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 7, 2021
Middle
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi all,

Just an interim update.

Over the last weeks the team, appointed by the owner and admin have researched a long list of potential venues.

Initial sift took place some weeks ago and calls made to a shorter list. Over the last few weeks, a number of site visits have taken place. We are in negotiation with a couple of venues that have availability for exclusive use, this is as we suspected was a rare find and required a lot of effort.

Please bear in mind that 2022 will be traditional ‘wam show, i.e. not for profit and self-financing, to this end visitor numbers will be vital to a breakeven position being achieved. Our very real concern is this factor and under the current government guidelines, and we feel that a March show would be too high risk as well as workload to make the show a well attended success . 

So sad as it is, what we believe to be sensible decision has been taken to plan for a show in the early autumn.

Once we have come to a deal with one of the venues you will be informed, hopefully not too far into the New Year.

I will of course try to answer any questions you may have within reason.

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Danny thank you and all involved in doing the hard work needed I for one agree that for next year a delay is sensible . Once you can get the venue sorted and a new date you will give the time needed to promote and ensure that the event is a success .

DUVET

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 7, 2021
Middle
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Danny thank you and all involved in doing the hard work needed I for one agree that for next year a delay is sensible . Once you can get the venue sorted and a new date you will give the time needed to promote and ensure that the event is a success .
Thanks Andrew . A short lead time for a show is not ideal and probably disastrous and even if we could have locked down a Hotel getting 40 ish exhibitors to re-commit and a  target level of 500 visitors with lets face it a 3 month time slot . Well the odds would not be good . So the team once the deal is locked in place is looking at a decent ramp up period  for maximum exposure . 

Knipester

Wammer
HiFi Trade
Jul 29, 2014
Leeds
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Thanks for the update, fingers crossed a venue is secured that allows the show to reinvent itself. It’s too good to loose

Tony_J

Gone fishin'
Staff member
Mar 4, 2013
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for the update, fingers crossed a venue is secured that allows the show to reinvent itself. It’s too good to loose
Absolutely. The show has to go ahead so I can bring all the cr@p that is cluttering up my study to sell at the charity stall... :D

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Absolutely. The show has to go ahead so I can bring all the cr@p that is cluttering up my study to sell at the charity stall... :D
S**t. I'll probably end up doing the same, then buying all your stuff :whistle:

Worse, of course, is that it gives all of us plenty of time to plan even more builds/modifications. Andrew has sufficient time to blow up and repair a handful of amps. I will by then be on the MkIV version of the DAC and phono stage, and Keith? Better find somewhere with a reinforced concrete floor...

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Only MkIV...? Lightweight... :whistle:
The phono is already spread all over the bench again, because I had a brainwave, and breadboarding it suggests it may well work rather pleasantly. Once I've done that, it occurs to me that I haven't touched the preamp for a few years now, so that deserves a going over. There is also, of course, the nagging thought that I called the current DAC 'end game' if memory serves correctly. However, some unkind sod pointed me in the direction of a ladder resistor board.

And so it starts...

• Upvote
Reactions: Tony_J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.