Linn Owners

Linn speakers for LP12/Wakonda/LK140

Trunkmonkey

Wammer
Sep 10, 2018
I'm building a second vinyl-only system. Nothing serious. So far I have Lingo/Ekos/Adikt LP12 > Wakonda > LK140.

Which passive Linn speakers are likely to sound the most well balanced and complete the system?

Can be floor standers or stand mounts. Moderate size listening room. Solid rear wall although there is space for them to sit away from the wall. Concrete carpeted floor.

Last edited:

heimo

Naimless
Wammer
Sep 14, 2020
Vienna, Austria EU
AKA
Heimo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I might suggest a cheap pair of Index (plus). Way below your budget limit, but I liked them a lot. If you dare to go active, you could squeeze in a second LK140 plus a pair of Keilidh.

Reactions: Trunkmonkey

Jail4CEOs2

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Dec 2, 2018
Taiwan
AKA
LG G2 65 OLED
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
If you can come out from the wall a bit Katans and a sub, otherwise Ninkas.

Last edited:

Chetys

Wammer
Mar 22, 2022
UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
With your budget my advice is still good condition Kabers. More definition and will suit the makeup of your system better than Ninkas, although Keilidhs & Ninkas maywell be my second choice.
If you are lucky you could get Kabers & another LK140 for your budget (or add another £50-100 and you defo will) that will really help.

Trunkmonkey

Wammer
Sep 10, 2018
I might suggest a cheap pair of Index (plus). Way below your budget limit, but I liked them a lot. If you dare to go active, you could squeeze in a second LK140 plus a pair of Keilidh.
Thanks. I will check them out

Trunkmonkey

Wammer
Sep 10, 2018
With your budget my advice is still good condition Kabers. More definition and will suit the makeup of your system better than Ninkas, although Keilidhs & Ninkas maywell be my second choice.
If you are lucky you could get Kabers & another LK140 for your budget (or add another £50-100 and you defo will) that will really help.
I had thought of Kabers but wasn’t sure the 140 would drive them, and I really don’t want it to become serious with lots of amps and cables. It just gets all ‘heavy’ and my wife will hate the sight of it. Strict 3-box limit, incl. Lingo

Last edited:
  • Upvote
Reactions: Ben Webster

Trunkmonkey

Wammer
Sep 10, 2018
Anyone recall roughly when the Wakonda and 140 were launched? I’ve looked online but can’t find anything

heimo

Naimless
Wammer
Sep 14, 2020
Vienna, Austria EU
AKA
Heimo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I had thought of Kabers but wasn’t sure the 140 would drive them, and I really don’t want it to get serious with lots of amps and cables. It just gets all ‘heavy’ and my wife will hate the sight of it. Strict 3-box limit, incl. Lingo
From what I read about Kabers (never had them myself), they should either be driven aktiv (which means three amps as Kabers are three-way) or, when passive, by at least a Klout.
As for the Keilidh I can confirm that they really sing if driven actively by a pair of LK140 or even LK85. Passively... well, a lot less. Imho, an active setup of Keilidh and 2 LK140 is difficult to beat in terms of price vs. performance.
The measly Index however I found really musical on an old Majik, which basically is a Wakonda plus an LK85 in a single LK style box.

Trunkmonkey

Wammer
Sep 10, 2018
From what I read about Kabers (never had them myself), they should either be driven aktiv (which means three amps as Kabers are three-way) or, when passive, by at least a Klout.
As for the Keilidh I can confirm that they really sing if driven actively by a pair of LK140 or even LK85. Passively... well, a lot less. Imho, an active setup of Keilidh and 2 LK140 is difficult to beat in terms of price vs. performance.
The measly Index however I found really musical on an old Majik, which basically is a Wakonda plus an LK85 in a single LK style box.
The index speakers are cheap and I'm curious so think I'll give them a go. That's not to say I won't try something else too.

heimo

Naimless
Wammer
Sep 14, 2020
Vienna, Austria EU
AKA
Heimo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The index speakers are cheap and I'm curious so think I'll give them a go. That's not to say I won't try something else too.
This is the exact model I was referring to (no endorsement of this particular offer): https://www.ebay.at/itm/134112637033 - in fact you might have to look around a little to find a pair that is not entirely rotten by now.

heimo

Naimless
Wammer
Sep 14, 2020
Vienna, Austria EU
AKA
Heimo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Index Plus speakers were my first ever Linn purchase, back in 1987.
Mine as well! Must have been '88 or '89 afair. I listened to a friend's LP12/Ittok/K??, Nait and Kan setup and I got Linnfected immediately.
He took me to his Linn dealer and after a home demo I ended up with a pair of said Index (with stands), a rega Planar 2 and a K5. Plus two runs of NACA5 speaker cable. Oh, and a Söund Örganisation wall shelf!
Unfortunately I could not afford a better amp back then and I stuck with my old Denon for another couple of years.

Eventually the amp was changed into a Majik into a Kairn/LK85, the K5 into an Adikt, the rega into an Axis into an LP12/Lingo2/Akito, and the Index were replaced by aktiv Keilidh (2xLK140) and later tri-aktiv Ninkas (2x C4200D) on an AV5103 and Uphorik.

Last edited:

Tendaberry

LP12 Scholar
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Hamburg
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Anyone recall roughly when the Wakonda and 140 were launched? I’ve looked online but can’t find anything
The LK140 was launched in 2000 and the Wakonda in 1994. Your second system practically screams for a pair of Ninkas, I think. Or possibly Katans with or without a subwoofer. I wouldn't want to drive the Kabers passively with anything below a Klout. The Ninkas are definitely a good step better than the Keilidhs as well.

Carpy

New Wammer
Jan 24, 2022
I'm building a second vinyl-only system. Nothing serious. So far I have Lingo/Ekos/Adikt LP12 > Wakonda > LK140.

Which passive Linn speakers are likely to sound the most well balanced and complete the system?

Can be floor standers or stand mounts. Moderate size listening room. Solid rear wall although there is space for them to sit away from the wall. Concrete carpeted

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.