Wammer
Wammer
Mar 8, 2007
Lincs, UK
AKA
is long
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Dug it out of storage yesterday and played it for a few hours. I'd forgotten what a wonderful CDP this is, and was enjoying the tunes until I noticed smoke billowing from the rear, near the power switch/power lead. Music played on, but I managed to isolate it at the mains. The acrid smell that followed was hideous, and it still hasn't quite cleared...

Looking at the rear, there looks like something may well have melted internally, but it's a complicated machine from below and I don't want to open it up. Darren at Class A says it's not something he would take on, so this is a plea to ask for guidance as to who might be able to look at it, then repair it? It's a beautiful machine and I don't want to scrap it.

Any help gratefully appreciated :)

• Sad
Reactions: MVJ

It Cost How Much!?!

Twisted
Wammer
Oct 27, 2008
Hartford, Cheshire
AKA
Bob
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I had the same player and somebody had messed with it in Germany, and because of that nobody would touch it. TBH I didn't know it was messed with, otherwise I would not have bought it. Apparently people like messing with Micromega players in France and Germany. In the end I sold it for spares / repairs to China at a loss. Nice player. 

I use Mike Powell in Bolton sometimes for repairs. 

Theo

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 8, 2007
Lincs, UK
AKA
is long
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for the reply. I have somebody willing to look at it who is more local than Bolton, but I've dealt with Mike before so it's a second option.

i've had the Micromega for around 25 years and I love it: it holds up surprisingly well against more modern players, and sounds fabulous. It had a new transport around 15 years ago (by Micromega) and has been trouble free since. I really don't want to lose it, so I'm hoping that a repair can be carried out.

bigrod

Super Wammer .. Pussy 🐈 lover
Wammer
Mar 12, 2013
D H LAWRENCE TOWN
AKA
Julian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
When my Sony SCD 777ES failed I used a company in Nottingham to put in a new laser and give a check over as the old guy there had worked on Hifi gear for years , specially Sony

Correct Services 

There are several companies in Nottingham who repair vintage gear and one in Mansfield which is not too far from you .. Always worth a phone call

kindest regards Julian

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.