Craig

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Copenhagen
AKA
Craig
How do

Just snaffled a colleagues iPod for a nice price but need to get some phones for it.

Any suggestions as to which in ear phones I should be using? My budget is about 30 quid max.

I suppose am mainly for in-ears, as I 'll be using at the gym (ha ha ha ha, let's see how long THAT lasts) and I don't wanna look like I just stepped out from the 'hood by wearing some stonking great big closed design

G

Shure E2c can be bought online for only slightly more than yer budget, and fine they are.

gsrai

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Black Country
AKA
Gobind
A lot of magazines rave about the sennheiser PX200's (not in the ear but quite comfy - I use them with my Ipod mini and think they are great) - around £30

Hawk

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 25, 2005
Herts, United Kingdo
Sony MDR-EX71SLW Stereo Earphones from amazon.co.uk £24.99 - Cheap and reasonable sound quality but more expensive options like AK's suggestion are better.

My Grado SR60s sound great with an iPod but you also look like a muppet wearing them
wink.png
so for outdoor use I use ety ER4Ps Once you go to that level though you need to use lower compression levels or it can all get a bit nasty..

Hawk

ray70

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 2, 2005
I've got both the Sony MDR-EX71SLW and the Shure e2c. Sound quality on the Shure's is much better, but Sony's are just so discrete and comfortable. I actually prefer the Sony's because I've got a bugger of a commute, and I've chosen comfort over sound quality. Heresy I know.

Gaffer

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 22, 2005
South Blighty
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Fraid I have to disagree with the above re:sony's.

I have these and they have poor sq imo.

V v comfortable, but definitely wouldn't buy again if given the choice.

here is my review of these: (3 out of 5 stars overall)

Treble: very harsh/shrill at high volumes. I have had my iPod uncapped using GoPod, but have re-capped it euro 100dB max as above this, treble is too bright. Below this, though, treble is more acceptable (and more midrange manages to elbow its way through - shouldn't be listening to them too loudly anyway).

Midrange: Not very noticeable most of the time (esp. at higher levels) as it's drowned out by splashy (screechy) treble and overblown bass.

Bass: Yes it's there, but nowhere near as good as my other cans (sennheiser HD575 symphony's - but then these are 5x more expensive). The extra bass is less well formed and less accurate too.

Fitting: beautiful...too good in fact. In fact, so good that whereas before I used to simply turn the volume down/off to listen to people, I now have to take them out completely - no ambient noise at all - the bonus is that you therefore don't need such high volumes to hear the music (my iPod is usually set around the halfway mark now). Probably the most comfortable in ear phones i've used (btw-the inserts do make a difference, I've found medium sounds best).

Update: I initially tried this to improve the sound...

Get some simple cotton wool ear buds, pull some of the cotton wool off the end. Insert a small amount (enough to fill to the rim of the grey "caps" snugly) into the ends. Voila: Bass remains unnaffected, Midrange pretty much the same, but now the treble is markedly reduced......overall loudness also is reduced. These bubs kept falling out so even this fix wasn't very good

OVERALL:....in hindsight, even with my "cotton wool" fix, treble can still be a bit too harsh a lot of the time. You shouldn't need to do anything to 'phones to make them acceptable...that's why it only gets three stars (at a push!). I now wish i'd bought alternate earbuds instead......why do companies insist on tuning the sound for people who think accuracy of sound means you need to have piercingly high levels of (splashy) treble?

Anyway, they're not worth it unless you happen to like massive amounts of treble with no midrange and innaccurate bass reproduction.

Now my Senny PX100's are a different kettle of fish. Gorgeous sound, and even though they're over the ear types, still very small and lightweight. I am even thinking of buying a backup pair of Senny px100's they're that good (only £25ish as well)
thumbs_up.gif.3c8ee62eda0e86146178ab30b9facd86.gif

Geordie

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Newcastle Upon Tyne,
The JVC HA-FX55 are cheaper and sound better than the Sony EX71 (i've heard both, I own the FX55), and are just as discrete as the Sony's.

However, if you dont need isolation or discretion, I would recommend the Koss KSC75 to have even better quality than even the Shures, and they are about £30.

Craig

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Copenhagen
AKA
Craig
Thans for all the tips, fellas

Anyone tried those Koss on ? 182? Am curious if they feel confy (I'm a big fella, so my ears size is in keeping with my big boned structure)

As much as i fancy the shures, I think they'll be a wee bit beyond me. Let's see if Santas wishes to contribute, though

Geordie

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Newcastle Upon Tyne,
The Koss are earclips, so they just clip on your ears. So the comfort is fine. If you found the clips uncomfortable, you can stretch them slightly to fit, and you could if you wanted put that padding on them that you can get for glasses frames to make them more comfortable on the ears.

Lifetime warranty.

Sound like baby Grado's, good for rock, good powerful bass, and lively dynamic sound. You might as well have those properties in a headphone when its only £30.

Craig

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Copenhagen
AKA
Craig
analoguekid wrote:

Shure E2c can be bought online for only slightly more than yer budget, and fine they are.
AK - any tips on where that mighy be?I'm seeing prices aroud 60 quid.

Ms Craig made the not unsmart point that i wear these to the gym, so padded phones are gonna get a bit buggered, given how mcuh I sweat. Nice

G

gsrai wrote:

A lot of magazines rave about the sennheiser PX200's (not in the ear but quite comfy - I use them with my Ipod mini and think they are great) - around £30
Excellent choice have used these my self

I use and would stronglyrecommend SENNHEISER MX550, they're only £16.99 from http://www.harrowaudiohifi.co.uk/index.asp. Go for the 550 (black) though and not the 500 (naff white)

W&F

also use these now and massive vfm

Craig

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Copenhagen
AKA
Craig
Well, bought the Senn's at the weekend

They'll be going back this afternoon - to my ears, noticably full of wax, it was 2 paper cups with some string

So, given that it must be in-ears, does anyone know where they can be bought in-shop in the UK? My dear mother wants Santa to buy them for someone's Christnas stocking

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.