PMC

Plums

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 29, 2012
The Norf
No PMC-ers here?

If ever I've 'bought into' a brand this might be it. I don't yearn to change much in my system, often, to be honest. Yes, I lust after things (we're still on hi-fi here, right? OK) but these would be in addition to what I currently have and enjoy - maybe in another part of the house. Yes, that always goes down well!

I love the madness, the exuberance, of the hardly-domestic models, like the BB5/MB2/IB2 SEs. (Note that, tellingly I think, the company refers to these as 'consumer', daring not to use the word 'domestic'.) Although I've never particularly fancied the Twenty series on their looks, I expect for that very reason these are much more acceptable to many people's homes - and looks are inescapably important for loudspeakers more than any other element in the system, for those households with more than a single (male) occupant. I didn't expect to be much impressed by the new Fact floorstander models - too bloody small! Not very PMC. Until I heard them - 8 and 12 - at Whittlebury. Clever, clever stuff, from so many angles (not just the frankly beautiful sound, but on that key domestic-friendly front, marketability, business practice/price mark-up (latter less great for us, of course) and so on. Yes, I was impressed and I'll check that lottery ticket in a minute.

But in the meantime - and back in the real world - I feel really very lucky to own a pair of the FB1i (and I've update my profile this morning, to include not only the new CD player but to add that missing italicised letter 'i', as I know it might be important to some (as I did, for completeness, add the 'NAIT' bit to the amp section whatever that might mean to anyone...)). They are just so enjoyable with everything. I thought they suited vinyl and what I like about it very well - and they do. This is one very balanced pair of speakers - well-controlled and deep bass and nothing too splashy up top. Smooth but never dull as that might imply. The Rega Saturn-R is sounding very good through them, too, in a very similar way to the turntable source. With the Naim amp they bring a smile to yer face, get you up-and-strutting around the room as the volume creeps up (until someone spots this through the window...) As anything should, they suit really low level tinkly jazz or classical piano and love it even more for symphonic Mahler played loud. And, of course, the Stones, the Stooges and what-have-you. Louder still: Nirvana? Check. And louder: The Who? Cripes, yes. Reggae? Oh yes. More, more, more of all this.

Would I have a bigger pair? Yes, please. I'm not sure if my room would take them, though, so if someone from the company wants to contact me to offer me some castoffs, then please do go ahead...

Back to some music, I think. Anyone else have something in the PMC range?

Popey

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 19, 2013
Swindon
AKA
Mark
I'm the happy owner of a pair of Twenty.24 speakers. I've had them for just over a year and they are very, very good.

Loads of detail, good bass, high WAF (she helped me with choosing speakers as she has good ears and does like to listen to music) and they are very room-friendly as they aren't too fussy about placement.

My only very slight regret is going for Walnut rather than Amarone, but it's a minor thing.

I have heard the Fact 8 and liked them very much. I have yet to hear the Fact 12 or Twenty.26. It's probably best not to :)

gazor

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 17, 2008
bury, , United Kingd
AKA
gary
yeh I'm using ob1i and do love em

had em a few yrs now. I will however trade up to pb1 , ib2 or mb2 if a pair pops up on the second hand market in oak!

mikehit

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 29, 2006
Manchester
AKA
Mike
Having owned a pair of FB1s (the original model) I agree with all your comments - as a sonic package I think they do a lot of things right, and to cap it all they work well very close to the rear wall which gives loads of opportunity for placement and the lack of pot resonance means they work well in small rooms as well as large. I bought them s/h and the owner demo'd them - a room 30-foot by 16-foot with the speakers firing down the long axis. When he put on n organ recital (Liverpool Cathedral, IIRC) you could feel the waves pulsing down towards you, but it seemed a 'controlled' bass rather than flappy and bloated.

They are the only speakers I have had that I would describe as genuinely 'fun' and would happily own another pair of PMCs. :D

I did, for completeness, add the 'NAIT' bit to the amp section
Apparently Naim plus PMCs is quite a popular combination.

• Upvote
Reactions: Plums

ssfas

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 27, 2013
London, UK
AKA
Steven
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I've had a pair of Fact.8's for a couple of years and love them. My only criticism is that they can, on some music but not all, be a bit shy on the bass and the soundstage does collapse a bit at low volumes.

Pete Thomas is, it seems, very focused on what he wants to achieve with his consumer ranges. The SE's are basically passive consumer versions of the pro kit. The Fact range are highly detailed and musical units that would get past even the most vexatious of anti-hifi 'other halves'. The Twenty range seem designed to produce excellent results on lower end audiophile kit.

I have thrown a lot at my Fact8's and they continue to take everything in their stride. I have upgraded from a basic Bryston system to seriously good 20w single ended 300BXLS amp, a lovely Urushi and lots of silver cabling/wiring, and the speakers delivered on each upgrade. I plugged in some biwired thick silver cables and the bass was extraordinary for such a small 2-way unit. As the cables were about £15k, that didn't last long.

I heard the Twenty.26 at HiFi Lounge the other week and had the opportunity to discuss them with some of the PMC guys. I think they are a winner and will do very well. At £5,750, they should not be compared to the Fact.8 (£6,000), but to the Fact.12 (£12,000) as the 20.26 and Fact.12's are both 3-way units. The 20.26 are obviously designed to be a top of the range 3-way for the mid-market. They are not a budget Fact12 as the sound is completely different, and do not compare sonically to the Fact.8. The 20.26 could ideally be part of a mid-range system totalling say £12k to £15k, the Fact.8 are quite happy in my system that cost an awful lot more.

The 20.26 are also seem way ahead of the 20.24, which is reflected in the price. The 20.26 are 70% more expensive. Personally, I would expect the 20.26 to be very successful. £5,750 is not a lot of money for a very good 3-way with a first class crossover. If you don't listen to a lot of heavy rock, I would prefer the Fact.8's.

The Fact.8's shouldn't be able to sound as good as they do given their relatively small size, and with such a wide range of music, but they do.

I'm listening to Flamenco Sketches at the moment, in which the tempo is set by a very soft background cymbal. The sharpness and decay on the Fact.8's makes the track.

timmytiger

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 4, 2013
Essex costa
AKA
Tim
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Got a pair of BB5is and i love them, fantastic bass, the ATL doesn't seem flabby at all.

Perfect for Classical organ, Drum'n Bass and PsyTrance but they also really give atmosphere

to general classical stuff and shake the house on Dance.

Still well balanced on late night low volume but that is supposed to be down to the Bryston amps.

As you can imagine i did a bit of research before coughing up, probably one of the best decisions ever made!

Sumdumgi

Interstellar Overdriver
Wammer Plus
Jul 4, 2008
Durham
AKA
Les
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've had a pair of the PMC FB1i for just over 4 years, really like them. In recent months have been feeling the urge to change but after a number of demos still haven't pulled the trigger. Looked at Proac and Neat but the FB1i still rule in this household :)

hairyderriere

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2010
Auckland, NZ.
AKA
Justin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Generally, I'm an advocate of listening before buying. But If I had the scratch, I'd have a pair of BB5 speakers in a heartbeat.

Fanthorpes Hifi

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 1, 2011
Hull
AKA
Dale
I expected the BB5i to be very heavyweight (which they are) but was impressed by how much finesse & delicacy they have. The most natural presentation i have ever heard.

stormyuklondon1

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 10, 2006
AKA
Scott
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Got a pair of BB5is and i love them, fantastic bass, the ATL doesn't seem flabby at all.Perfect for Classical organ, Drum'n Bass and PsyTrance but they also really give atmosphere

to general classical stuff and shake the house on Dance.

Still well balanced on late night low volume but that is supposed to be down to the Bryston amps.

As you can imagine i did a bit of research before coughing up, probably one of the best decisions ever made!
:^ great, great speakers. active bb5/xbd is something I would love to own one day. along with the barn I'd need to get them in :D

myrman

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 26, 2007
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm the happy owner of a pair of Twenty.24 speakers. I've had them for just over a year and they are very, very good.Loads of detail, good bass, high WAF (she helped me with choosing speakers as she has good ears and does like to listen to music) and they are very room-friendly as they aren't too fussy about placement.

My only very slight regret is going for Walnut rather than Amarone, but it's a minor thing.

I have heard the Fact 8 and liked them very much. I have yet to hear the Fact 12 or Twenty.26. It's probably best not to :)
The Twenty.26 sounded very good at the Munich show Mark. Perhaps you should have a listen :whistle: I've even got a pic for you :)

_DSC3087_zpseb699bb6.jpg

Popey

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 19, 2013
Swindon
AKA
Mark
Um thanks Nick... I'd rather not just yet. :D Unless my Premium Bonds come up :upgrade:

I really do need to sort out my power amp next, then turntable, both of which are very long in the tooth

There was a good write up of the Twenty sixes in the latest issue of HFN&RR.

EJP

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 27, 2012
South Beds
AKA
Ed
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
  2. Yes
Another PMC owner here. I have the GB1i's and love them, such great little floorstanders. They really excell with all types of music and go great with the Croft amps. I had the Harbeth P3ESR's previously and as good as they are I don't regret changing them for a second. The PMC's just have that all round ability that the Harbeth's couldn't match. :^

peridot

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 28, 2014
Newport, South Wales
AKA
Dermot
My introduction to the Wam was the purchase of a pair of DB1i on the classifieds and I've fallen in love with them. Up to now I've had a very average 5.1 system sharing movie and music duties and decided it was time to start building a better 2-channel system before my hearing degenerates to a point where it's not worth bothering.

Of course, having witnessed what these diminutive and innocuous little boxes are capable of, I can't help wondering if I should perhaps swap a kidney for some of their bigger brothers.

• Upvote
Reactions: Butuz

timmytiger

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 4, 2013
Essex costa
AKA
Tim
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
:^ great, great speakers. active bb5/xbd is something I would love to own one day. along with the barn I'd need to get them in :D
They don't need a vast room, we're 7m x 10m and ceiling is under 4m in the middle, need plenty of bass as it's a conservatory and they do the job really well.

I might shell out for an upgrade to active if i win the lottery; in normal listening i don't quite need the XBD. Love having stereo bass down to (-3dB) 17Hz.

Must have spent ten years saving for them.

• Upvote
Reactions: Butuz

dave_t

Wammer
Wammer
May 2, 2014
east London
AKA
Dave
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've had a pair of Fact.8's for a couple of years and love them. My only criticism is that they can, on some music but not all, be a bit shy on the bass and the soundstage does collapse a bit at low volumes.Pete Thomas is, it seems, very focused on what he wants to achieve with his consumer ranges. The SE's are basically passive consumer versions of the pro kit. The Fact range are highly detailed and musical units that would get past even the most vexatious of anti-hifi 'other halves'. The Twenty range seem designed to produce excellent results on lower end audiophile kit.

I have thrown a lot at my Fact8's and they continue to take everything in their stride. I have upgraded from a basic Bryston system to seriously good 20w single ended 300BXLS amp, a lovely Urushi and lots of silver cabling/wiring, and the speakers delivered on each upgrade. I plugged in some biwired thick silver cables and the bass was extraordinary for such a small 2-way unit. As the cables were about £15k, that didn't last long.

I heard the Twenty.26 at HiFi Lounge the other week and had the opportunity to discuss them with some of the PMC guys. I think they are a winner and will do very well. At £5,750, they should not be compared to the Fact.8 (£6,000), but to the Fact.12 (£12,000) as the 20.26 and Fact.12's are both 3-way units. The 20.26 are obviously designed to be a top of the range 3-way for the mid-market. They are not a budget Fact12 as the sound is completely different, and do not compare sonically to the Fact.8. The 20.26 could ideally be part of a mid-range system totalling say £12k to £15k, the Fact.8 are quite happy in my system that cost an awful lot more.

The 20.26 are also seem way ahead of the 20.24, which is reflected in the price. The 20.26 are 70% more expensive. Personally, I would expect the 20.26 to be very successful. £5,750 is not a lot of money for a very good 3-way with a first class crossover. If you don't listen to a lot of heavy rock, I would prefer the Fact.8's.

The Fact.8's shouldn't be able to sound as good as they do given their relatively small size, and with such a wide range of music, but they do.

I'm listening to Flamenco Sketches at the moment, in which the tempo is set by a very soft background cymbal. The sharpness and decay on the Fact.8's makes the track.
Just seen this owners thread. Great write-up and interesting comments. I have had Twenty.22s since November 2012, and love them. I listen to mostly electronic/techno/rock with a smattering of everything else, and PMCs have always struck me as ideal for this (i had DB1i in 2010-11). Wide soundstage with clear image, really rhythmic with enough - but importantly not too much bass for my room (my downstairs neighbour definitely does not agree).

I'm interested in the kind of kit you think the Twenty range is intended for, the "lower end audiophile" (obviously I've a fair idea). I wonder if my pre-power combo is slight overkill, it was in place before I got them, driving Totem Model 1 Signatures for a little while - which the Belles 150 really got hold of, only thing was they just weren't the right speaker for techno (I'd love to get some Man-2s one day). There's no point me trading down, but I'm guessing the likes of Supernait, Exposure 2010/3010s, Rega Elicit-r, Creek Destiny would be the likely amplifier pairings. What would you think of pairing amps in the £500-1000 range, or higher (like my combo, the Bel Canto is standard PRe3 not vbs). Sources?

ssfas

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 27, 2013
London, UK
AKA
Steven
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Just seen this owners thread. Great write-up and interesting comments. I have had Twenty.22s since November 2012, and love them. I listen to mostly electronic/techno/rock with a smattering of everything else, and PMCs have always struck me as ideal for this (i had DB1i in 2010-11). Wide soundstage with clear image, really rhythmic with enough - but importantly not too much bass for my room (my downstairs neighbour definitely does not agree).I'm interested in the kind of kit you think the Twenty range is intended for, the "lower end audiophile" (obviously I've a fair idea). I wonder if my pre-power combo is slight overkill, it was in place before I got them, driving Totem Model 1 Signatures for a little while - which the Belles 150 really got hold of, only thing was they just weren't the right speaker for techno (I'd love to get some Man-2s one day). There's no point me trading down, but I'm guessing the likes of Supernait, Exposure 2010/3010s, Rega Elicit-r, Creek Destiny would be the likely amplifier pairings. What would you think of pairing amps in the £500-1000 range, or higher (like my combo, the Bel Canto is standard PRe3 not vbs). Sources?
Can't really help on amps.

I had a Primare A30 amp for 10+ years that wonderfully musical.

Very briefly had a Linn amp and then a Bryston 4BSST2, ideal for PMC, but over £4,000.

My current am is a keeper for ever as far as I'm concerned, an Art Audio Jota that I fell in love with instantly, gives me goosebumps, and has been maxed out with a full silver rewire throughout including all connectors and some other mods.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.