Wammer
Dec 10, 2013
Fife, Scotland
AKA
Mike
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi,

just placed an order for PMC Twenty .21's a few days ago, they should be here this week sometime, had a few days home demo with them on my Rega Brio R and Gyrodec and Fiio X3 Player and they do the job perfectly, small, clean sound with nice bass from them considering the size, more importantly 'The Boss' loves them lol.

Mike.

Craig84

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2014
Southampton
Hi,still no sign of my PMC's, nearly three weeks and counting :(

Mike.
Oh that's crap, what's happened???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk whilst smoking, drinking vodka, tuning my radio and reverse parking my car into a police station

mikeyb

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 10, 2013
Fife, Scotland
AKA
Mike
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Oh that's crap, what's happened???Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk whilst smoking, drinking vodka, tuning my radio and reverse parking my car into a police station
Hi,

think they are built to order and PMC had no drivers until end of last week, being built this week and hope to have them in a few days. I have looked at other sellers online and all seem to have no stock and need to order them. I went with a local bricks and mortar shop, and to be honest I'm in no rush, rather support the shop than just buy them online as price is the same anyway :^

Mike.

cabbages

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 22, 2012
London
AKA
Derek
Hi,still no sign of my PMC's, nearly three weeks and counting :(

Mike.
I heard that 2-3 weeks ago they got a bunch of Fact 8 cabinets in that they didn't think were up to snuff, and they were sent straight back out to be rebuilt, and now looking mid December. Maybe 21's too?

C

mikeyb

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 10, 2013
Fife, Scotland
AKA
Mike
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I heard that 2-3 weeks ago they got a bunch of Fact 8 cabinets in that they didn't think were up to snuff, and they were sent straight back out to be rebuilt, and now looking mid December. Maybe 21's too?C
Hi,

could be, the shop certainly said the rep has been getting grief from a lot of sellers. Mind you it's no hassle work on kitchen/dining room starts on Wednesday so be a bit of a mess around here, plus I always have my Usher Audio 718's to fall back on, oops did I type that out loud. :whistle: :rofl:

Mike.

josh

Wammer
Wammer
May 1, 2006
NW London
Does anyone know how the GB1i compares to the FB1 (not 'i') and whether a Naim Nait 5i amp would be powerful enough for either?

They are both s/h at a very similar price but I wouldn't be able to demo both of them.

Thanks,

Josh

Craig84

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2014
Southampton
Oh crapper, I can't help you but can you not get a home demo? Even if they are S/h?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk whilst smoking, drinking vodka, tuning my radio and reverse parking my car into a police station

Craig84

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2014
Southampton
I've just done a quick google and there looks to be not much in it though there was a thread where a bloke upgraded his GB1i's for twenty 23 and thought it was a bad move so went back to GB1i's.

josh

Wammer
Wammer
May 1, 2006
NW London
From my Googling, it seems like the FB1 are larger and so have more authority but also that the 'i' upgrade offers significant refinement. Most people seem to prefer an FB1(+/i) to an equivalent model GB1(+/i) but I can't tell what would be better between a stock FB1 and a GB1i.

My dilemma may be solved by the fact the dealer says FB1s are collection only and it's too far for me so demoing the GB1i may be the only option. I'd still be interested to know though in case I want to look for an FB1i elsewhere.

mikeyb

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 10, 2013
Fife, Scotland
AKA
Mike
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi,

they are excellent, not really positioned properly as we have the kitchen and dining furniture in the living room at present ( work ends this week we hope ), so they are kind of hidden behind a table and chairs and loads of kitchen items so not really ideal , but I can tell they are superb. Fast and clean with plenty of bass.

Will have a decent listen once room is back to normal, not even run in yet ( manual says 50 hrs ), so should only improve.

Mike.

mikeyb

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 10, 2013
Fife, Scotland
AKA
Mike
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi,

now thinking my Rega Brio R just isn't good (powerful) enough for the 21's, I need/want something with a bit more power to drive these better, any ideas, I don't want to spend more than say £800 secondhand, want something that will do rock and electronic justice but I also like female vocals and acoustic too, I always feel the Brio R is a little sharp for me at the treble end, and I need to up the volume to get it to work with the 21's, I want an amp that will work better at lower levels but can also 'rock' when needed, any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks,

Mike.

mikeyb

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 10, 2013
Fife, Scotland
AKA
Mike
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Leema Tucana? It should be within budget if you factor selling your Brio R for extra cash.
Hi Josh,

Funnily enough that's one that I shortlisted as I read somewhere that it was a good match for PMC's.

Thanks,

Mike.

Stills

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 8, 2010
Portishead.
Hi PMCers, not been on the Wam for a while. Good to see specific owner treads like this one.

I have owned my PMC IB2i for about a year and a half and I love them. I initially used them with Electrocompaniaet gear but then discovered how good they were with an Arc Ls27 pre and Bryston 7bsst. Still using the Electrocompaniet ECD2 Dac which I might change one day. I'm using Vandamme balanced interconnects and mogami speaker cable as they were readily available and relatively cheap although I may have a play with them when I don't need 10 metres of interconnect one day when we move.

The thing that actually helped me decide that PMC was worth a look was a home demo of a pair of 20/24 which sounded very nice indeed, even when compared with the Shahinian Obelisks that I had at the time. It made me realise how much I enjoyed traditional speakers over Omnidirectionals that I had owned for 10 years!

Anyways, happy listening.

analogueaddict

Wammer
New Wammer
Apr 20, 2011
Lancashire UK
Hellol,

I can definitely vouch for the Leema Tucana when partnered with PMC speakers.

I've had the good fortune to have had MB2, OB1, GB1 and GB1i's in my system, and I've tried the Tucana with everything bar the MB2, and that is a combination which works very well. I've also tried Audiolab 8200 Q/P with the GB1 and 1i's and can vouch for that combo, though with the Audiolab you need to be a little careful that there is no udue upper midrange / lower treble emphasis from your sources otherwise things can get slightly forward.

Obviously the dream team is Bryston / PMC, so something like the older Bryston B60 integrated or a Bryston 2B or 3B-ST power amp with a good pre would be a great combo and not too far beyond your budget. The B60 sounds quite modest at 60W, but believe me, these are Bryston real world watts so that little powerhouse can do amazing things, and it's built in typical Bryston fashion, so I would unhesitatingly buy a 10yr old model or even older without question.

Best wishes,

Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online