Wammer
Wammer
May 2, 2014
east London
AKA
Dave
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sounds wonderful, looks it too from my brief search just now (Art Audio Jota that is). I am on hold anyway, I maxed out on spending long ago!

f1eng

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 13, 2009
Wantage, U K
AKA
Frank
My first demo of the Devialet amp was with Fact 8. They sounded magnificent, if I was in the market for box speakers the BB5 would be on my shortlist for sure.

The Fact 8 are very inefficient, about the same as LS3/5a in the spec but of course they can go a lot louder and take a lot more power!

who8dcat

Wammer
New Wammer
Oct 24, 2014
PB1i signature owner, but thinking about going for Fact-12 :)
Hi Sober,

I'm considering the PMC 26 but the sound of the PB1i is burned in my memory very well.

I have an opportunity to purchase a used PB1i.

any chance you have compared between the two and can advice?

I use a Hegel H300 Amplifier.

who8dcat

Wammer
New Wammer
Oct 24, 2014
Hi Sober,

I'm considering the PMC 26 but the sound of the PB1i is burned in my memory very well.

I have an opportunity to purchase a used PB1i.

any chance you have compared between the two and can advice?

I use a Hegel H300 Amplifier.

Sober

Wammer
New Wammer
Oct 10, 2013
I listen to twenty 26 and I liked the PB1i better. I haven't heard them in my livingroom, just at the dealers place. They sound very good, but there is something missing compared to PB1i, maybe is the second bassdriver? I'm selling my Pb1i signature now, used Fact12 on the way :)

Springbeg

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 4, 2014
Isle of Lewis
AKA
Keith Anderson
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
They don't need a vast room, we're 7m x 10m and ceiling is under 4m in the middle, need plenty of bass as it's a conservatory and they do the job really well.I might shell out for an upgrade to active if i win the lottery; in normal listening i don't quite need the XBD. Love having stereo bass down to (-3dB) 17Hz.

Must have spent ten years saving for them.
Was your tongue firmly embedded in your cheek when you typed that? The total floor space of a great many modern British homes is little more than 70 square metres.

On the subject of PMC speakers, I first bought into the brand when they introduced the original FB1's. As a creature of habit I've remained loyal to the company. I always feared that if I moved away from their signature sound I'd come to regret it. Very content with my current set up.

timmytiger

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 4, 2013
Essex costa
AKA
Tim
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Was your tongue firmly embedded in your cheek when you typed that? The total floor space of a great many modern British homes is little more than 70 square metres.

On the subject of PMC speakers, I first bought into the brand when they introduced the original FB1's. As a creature of habit I've remained loyal to the company. I always feared that if I moved away from their signature sound I'd come to regret it. Very content with my current set up.
We're a bit open plan, when the kids are all gone and (if) we downsize i'd go for one decent size room. Love the McIntosh amps BTW.

Springbeg

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 4, 2014
Isle of Lewis
AKA
Keith Anderson
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Apologies Timmy, I should have included a smiley in my earlier post. With so much space and air I imagine the sound must be thrilling from those big siblings. With it being a conservatory have you had problems controlling the acoustic?

100dynamite

Wammer
New Wammer
Oct 18, 2014
Oxfordshire
AKA
Gary
I have the DB1 + TLE 5.1 surround sound system and it sounds monstrous! I also have a pair of original FB1 and having recently upgraded my Amp and Phono stage plus cables I have left the speakers until last - why? Because they sound so damn good. The original thread person talked about brand loyalty and I'm only considering replacing with Twenty 24/26 or Fact 8. My amp is a valve amp and a db of 87 or above is recommended - the Twenty 24 are 90 whilst the Twenty 26 are 86 so it may be that the cheaper speakers will be better suited? Anybody with any advice?

timmytiger

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 4, 2013
Essex costa
AKA
Tim
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Apologies Timmy, I should have included a smiley in my earlier post. With so much space and air I imagine the sound must be thrilling from those big siblings. With it being a conservatory have you had problems controlling the acoustic?
No problem!

I've got RoomPerfect but that makes a marginal difference.

The lossy room helps with bass control, the only real difficulty seems to be occasional boom from the suspended floor imposed by the building regs.

The room ratios are close to ideal and power input turned out to be correct.

That bottom octave i get from Transmission Lines makes all the difference for what we listen to.

I'm even contemplating a sub build for a bit more 10 to 25Hz power, mainly for film tracks. Got to earn some cash first unfortunately.

jazz8588

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 13, 2008
Sandbach
AKA
Jeff
I've got a pair of GB1's in a second system. Bought them new about 10 years ago for about a grand, which I think is about the right price, they shot up in price over the years with the i improvements and I think you could have got better sound for the money. A nice speaker, quite dinky for a floorstander. Stereo image is nice if you toe them in a bit. Quite a bit of bass, being transmission line, if you like that sort of thing.

Don't think they are as detailed as my ATC SCM11's, but they do live up, somewhat, to PMC's monitor heritage and sound better on well recorded stuff.

Lefty

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 8, 2005
In your town
Oooh - I can join in now. Getting a pair of PMC TwoTwo 6 on Tuesday. They are from the 'Pro' side of PMC and are really interesting active monitors with a DSP crossover and class D amps.

The twotwo.6 accepts analogue and AES3 digital inputs up to 192kHz. Analogue signals pass through a gain stage that should be adjusted to utilise the full scale of the 24-bit A/D converter that follows. Next in line is the DSP controller for volume, driver response, EQ, crossover and overload protection, after which the signal is converted back to analogue to feed two Class-D power amps, with 50W and 150W allocated to the tweeter and woofer respectively.After sample-rate conversion the digital signal is sent directly to the DSP stage. The overload protection is interesting because it reacts only to transient peaks, rather than applying a blanket limiter to the programme material. Once again, the DSP stage makes this possible.High- and low-frequency shelving adjustments can be made in 0.125dB increments. The shelf frequencies are 1kHz and 500Hz. You can also set a low-frequency slope at five frequency points with a 6dB/octave filter. The twotwo.6 has four push-buttons for adjusting settings, along with a small LCD screen on the back panel to let you see what you’re doing.
pmc_twotwo6_pair.jpg

Lefty

Springbeg

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 4, 2014
Isle of Lewis
AKA
Keith Anderson
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Oooh - I can join in now. Getting a pair of PMC TwoTwo 6 on Tuesday. They are from the 'Pro' side of PMC and are really interesting active monitors with a DSP crossover and class D amps.
pmc_twotwo6_pair.jpg

Lefty
Very, very nice. Having never had the pleasure of hearing ANY active PMC monitor I look forward to your reactions.

ssfas

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 27, 2013
London, UK
AKA
Steven
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I have the DB1 + TLE 5.1 surround sound system and it sounds monstrous! I also have a pair of original FB1 and having recently upgraded my Amp and Phono stage plus cables I have left the speakers until last - why? Because they sound so damn good. The original thread person talked about brand loyalty and I'm only considering replacing with Twenty 24/26 or Fact 8. My amp is a valve amp and a db of 87 or above is recommended - the Twenty 24 are 90 whilst the Twenty 26 are 86 so it may be that the cheaper speakers will be better suited? Anybody with any advice?
I have a 20w Class A SE valve amp and it was connected to Fact8's perfectly happily. Pete Thomas was encouraging me to try the Fact12 and said the 84db rating was not an issue as they are an easy load.

I changed to Harbeth SHL5+ as I had issues with the Fact8. Besides my preferring them (they are simply wonderful), they are rated at 86db, my amp is below the advised minimum spec., but they are an easy load and I have no problem driving them. The only way is to try it out. I took my amp to the speaker demo, even though it weighs a ton. It is plain stupid to commit to an expensive pair of speakers without running them with your amp.

The bonus is that the SHL5+ costs £3,000, which is incredible given they probably cost more to manufacture than a pair of Fact8 at double the price.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ssfas

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 27, 2013
London, UK
AKA
Steven
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Very, very nice. Having never had the pleasure of hearing ANY active PMC monitor I look forward to your reactions.
Interesting choice, which I presume are for a small room or desktop use. Heard them once at HiFi lounge and sounded good. Getting a near field system myself at the moment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lefty

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 8, 2005
In your town
Thanks chaps - I'm getting them later today. Will post impressions vs my current Neumann KH310 (which I'm also keeping) when I've had some time to listen :)

Lefty

Lefty

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 8, 2005
In your town
The TwoTwo 6's landed on Tuesday. Enjoying them immensely :)

Wonderful transparency / intelligibility, coupled with lightning fast transients and grin-inducing punchy bass. If you can't hear it on these then it ain't on the recording. The ideal studio monitor really! Here they are in-situ:

15745012591_934649985a_b.jpg

Lefty

josh

Wammer
Wammer
May 1, 2006
NW London
Hi all,

I've been looking at the PMC range for a while but haven't been able to tell the ranking order with their Pb1i/Gb1i/Fb1i/Ob1i. Which is the top of that range? Is there a great difference between them?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online