300B Heresy

toms wait

Wammer
Wammer
May 20, 2015
Lancaster
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've had my first 300B amp about 6 weeks now, new from Definitive.
And whilst I like it I just, and this is surely just me, I find it a little soulless maybe even a tadge boring.
I find I listen but my mind wanders and I lose attention, turning it off after a while.

Too much of a good thing, too accurate and no umphh!

pmcuk

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 12, 2015
Kensington, London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've had my first 300B amp about 6 weeks now, new from Definitive.
And whilst I like it I find it a little soulless maybe even a tadge boring.
I'm not a fan of the 300b. Too expensive for starters, and I find it a bit warm and bloated, not very crisp. I much prefer the 2a3 at lower power, which is what I use because I don't play loud. The 2a3 is crisper. For more power you can go the SE 845 route - never had one so can't comment. Or a really good push-pull amp. A 2a3 push-pull amp would be very nice, must exist though less common.

Reactions: greybeard

toms wait

Wammer
Wammer
May 20, 2015
Lancaster
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I don't mind warm and bloated/floor shaking but I am sort of missing the rough edge/life of 5881 EL34.
I am playing Julian Cope and what a polite chap he is!

• Wow
Reactions: Wenge1

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What make 300B is it?
The sound varies a lot.
The best sensible price 300B is Electro Harmonix (EH) imo. Much tauter and more interesting than some others I tried.

antonio66

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 12, 2018
Grimsby/Phnom Penh
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I purchased a Yaqin 300B intergrated on the recommendation from someone I trust to partner Quad 57's and I have to say it does partner them well. Unfortunately one of the 57's has started to buzz :rolleyes: so using with my stand mounts at the moment. Being honest I wasn't too sure about the sound compared to my EL34 amp, but I am really enjoying it now and think it is a great amplifier. Have I just got used to it, have the valves (EH 300B's) settled in more I don't know.

toms wait

Wammer
Wammer
May 20, 2015
Lancaster
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What make 300B is it?
The sound varies a lot.
The best sensible price 300B is Electro Harmonix (EH) imo. Much tauter and more interesting than some others I tried.
They are badged Triode, the amp is a Triode Corporation integrated.

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
They are badged Triode, the amp is a Triode Corporation integrated.
I think it's worth asking them what brand they used. Then doing a bit of research and deciding the way ahead as to whether a change would give you the benefits you're looking for.

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I went from 300B to EL84 , I prefer the “punchier” sound.
Yes, I'd agree with that in general.

I had a Viva 300B amp and it absolutely excelled with a friend's Snell A1 speakers - a match made in heaven. It was nowhere near so good on my own speakers. The friend bought the amp!

Pretty. :)

1681315630535.png

Reactions: Tarzan

George 47

Subjectivist
Staff member
Jan 1, 2006
United Kingdom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What speakers do you have and do you know their efficiency? If they are inefficient it may be a power/drive issue. EL34s do put out more power (depending on how they are used) but tend to come with a less distinct bass. Having said that 300Bs are about sophistication more than drive. But as always there are exceptions.

Definitive are excellent dealers and if you tell them they should advise on a 'better match'.

Ian

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Aug 27, 2008
United Kingdom
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Love mine (Audion) with Snell and Falcon LS3/5a. Others may differ in opinion.
The issue here is that you have an amp that you're not to happy with, which is a terrible shame.

Reactions: justinhd and Ady

toms wait

Wammer
Wammer
May 20, 2015
Lancaster
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What speakers do you have and do you know their efficiency? If they are inefficient it may be a power/drive issue. EL34s do put out more power (depending on how they are used) but tend to come with a less distinct bass. Having said that 300Bs are about sophistication more than drive. But as always there are exceptions.

Definitive are excellent dealers and if you tell them they should advise on a 'better match'.
Speakers are much revised rebuilt Impulse with Scanspeak drivers and a fancy crossover designed by Humble Homemade Hifi in Holland modelled by computer based on frequency plots of the drivers, and a few electrical parameters of the drivers.

Toying with a trip to Definitives for LV demo.

toms wait

Wammer
Wammer
May 20, 2015
Lancaster
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Love mine (Audion) with Snell and Falcon LS3/5a. Others may differ in opinion.
The issue here is that you have an amp that you're not to happy with, which is a terrible shame.
Not unhappy per se just find it lacking dynamics, umph, life, a bit too accurate.

toms wait

Wammer
Wammer
May 20, 2015
Lancaster
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Difficult to describe but for example, I like rough floor shaky bass, and not an edge as such but if Julian sounds like Frank then its too much of a good thing.

Reactions: DomT and bigrod

George 47

Subjectivist
Staff member
Jan 1, 2006
United Kingdom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Speakers are much revised rebuilt Impulse with Scanspeak drivers and a fancy crossover designed by Humble Homemade Hifi in Holland modelled by computer based on frequency plots of the drivers, and a few electrical parameters of the drivers.

Toying with a trip to Definitives for LV demo.
No problem but be careful as you may end up just confusing the issue with a change of amplifier and speakers. Humble does not seem to offer efficiency specifications.

Definitive would love to sell you a pair of LVs I am sure but they may/or may not know what the issue is as the speakers are an unknown. The 300Bs will work well with LVs but they may still not appeal to you. Take it nice and slow and be certain of your next steps.

Psilonaught

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 16, 2007
Saffron Walden
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I didn't find the 300B too thick or slow in fact, like a pentode, it sounded fast and very agile, however I preferred the 45 which is more tonally rich.

Obviously it depends on the application and circuit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online