300B Heresy

pmcuk

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 12, 2015
Kensington, London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I heard the power amp with a pre-amp at DA and that seemed to lose detail and bass and add veils or a bit of mist!
Glad you're making progress. For me the 300b "adds veils and a bit of mist" compared with the 2a3, which is sharper and more focussed. I haven't listened to a PSE or PP 2a3 amp for ages, but it's one way to go for more power.

toms wait

Wammer
Wammer
May 20, 2015
Lancaster
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
In a game of pontoon, if I remember the trick was "stick" or "twist" at this present time I think "stick".

Reactions: rabski

toms wait

Wammer
Wammer
May 20, 2015
Lancaster
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I recognise my BP SE300b in this description. Certainly no 'veil' that PMCUK associates with 300b.
The veil/change was due to the addition of a pre-amp, new and cold out of the box.
Just a descriptive term not intended to be derogatory to the pre-amp just a description of what we heard at the time.

toms wait

Wammer
Wammer
May 20, 2015
Lancaster
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Here's a comparison of 300b and 2a3. I think "veil" was a bit strong, but you can hear the 2a3 is sharper and more in focus.

One mans veil is another's impenetrable fortress, is there a a db rating for veils :) 2db per veil.
0.02 veils maybe :D

toms wait

Wammer
Wammer
May 20, 2015
Lancaster
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Here's a comparison of 300b and 2a3. I think "veil" was a bit strong, but you can hear the 2a3 is sharper and more in focus.

Couldn't live with those speakers in that hard room, would drive me nuts and go and watch the telly or go out.
Besides the veil reference was in respect of the addition of a pre-amp not the difference between 2 valves via YouTube.

pmcuk

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 12, 2015
Kensington, London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Are you part of PMC speakers?
Absolutely not! I'm using Wharfedale's at the moment, but that might change - I want to use a pair of ribbon HF tweeters. I'm unaffiliated.

Can you hear a difference in the sound samples on the YT video? I can, and it's pretty much what I hear in all the 2a3 and 300b amps I've built.

Reactions: antonio66

toms wait

Wammer
Wammer
May 20, 2015
Lancaster
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Can you hear a difference in the sound samples on the YT video? I can, and it's pretty much what I hear in all the 2a3 and 300b amps I've built.
I can hear that the 2a3 is a little sharper/brighter/accurate/resolved/detailed, choose your own adjective, but that room does no favours for either.
With hearing aids in and 100% corrected hearing (y)

Reactions: pmcuk

George 47

Subjectivist
Staff member
Jan 1, 2006
United Kingdom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Tom,

Firstly it is good to hear that Definitive Audio has looked after you. Kevin is one of the good dealers.

I would be tempted to get that amplifier under your skin and really enjoy it. It may then be worth hearing a good preamplifier. It may be that a passive device does it for you. Or a valve preamp? But that may be for tomorrow.

Whatever, a good outcome and remember to enjoy the music.

• Thanks
Reactions: toms wait

toms wait

Wammer
Wammer
May 20, 2015
Lancaster
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
At present it is not a chore to change interconnects between CD or LP.
Just choose before it's switched on.
I also quite like the simplicity of it.

Dug out music I haven't played in ages, some that got a bad reception from family, Banco de Gaia. Which my OH said sounded like torture music! A wee bit extreme but hey ho!!

Haven't tried Tangerine Dream, Klaus Schulze, or Crass yet :unsure::cool:

Reactions: Jules_S

Gwantommo

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Sep 1, 2019
Nottingham
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Great to see you ended up happy Tom, you went on a similar journey to me and we now have the same amp :)

I put some Takatsuki 300b's in it and it jumps up to another level entirely, something you may want to try later.

I also tried a whole bunch of Pre's - SS, valve and passive - and nothing really grabbed me until I tried the inbuilt pre in my Ayon CD35 which was a lovely match and increased the musicality. I then made the expensive mistake of trying a Kondo M7 which I knew within hours was going to be a keeper and drain my bank account severely!

toms wait

Wammer
Wammer
May 20, 2015
Lancaster
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Great to see you ended up happy Tom, you went on a similar journey to me and we now have the same amp :)

I put some Takatsuki 300b's in it and it jumps up to another level entirely, something you may want to try later.

I also tried a whole bunch of Pre's - SS, valve and passive - and nothing really grabbed me until I tried the inbuilt pre in my Ayon CD35 which was a lovely match and increased the musicality. I then made the expensive mistake of trying a Kondo M7 which I knew within hours was going to be a keeper and drain my bank account severely!
At present I am using it without a pre-amp, just have to decide which source I want to play, rather than messing switching on and off.
I got Kevin to put his LV 300B's in and it sounds great. I think it is quite possibly still running in, as is the Art Audio phono.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles