Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Keep in mind that you are not just assessing the speakers but also a new DAC, etc. It might be that a TT2 would give you what you feel is missing so far or the speakers might open up, your ears might need to adjust to the sound, etc.

My view is that the speakers will reveal whatever the source can provide.
It’s not ideal assessing a new DAC as well and I would suggest listening to one change at a time. 

A speaker will reveal the source but the speaker itself also has a ‘sound’. I love the sound of my Benchmark through Quad/Harbeth but not my Neumann studio active monitors as they don’t do ‘musicality’. Sometimes it’s possible to point the finger at the speaker but I have no idea if a different DAC will solve the problem. 

mtbmarkymark

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 13, 2008
Leeds, UK
AKA
Mark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Opinions vary on burn in of components etc but I think we underestimate how our own listening experience 'burns in' too. Before exploring what a Chord Qutest can do for you I would just listen for a month experiencing the same tracks on different occasions. You should then have a feel for how things sound and perhaps how they might be improved. Then start auditioning. 

• Upvote
Reactions: Griff500

Warszawa

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Mar 12, 2013
UK
AKA
Joe
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Seriously though, although I found the TT1 a tad smoother due to the TT2's snappier transient response, I doubt any change of DAC/pre is going to polish the treble to your preference. Your niggles sound pretty fundamental to the design of the loudspeaker. Everything is plenty "burned-in" by now. Any further change is you getting used to it. 

The problem you have, if you decide they're really not for you, is where to look next. You may well find that what you like about the ATC midrange is compromised for more sparkly treble, for example.

I hope you learn to love them but if not, a home demo for their replacement is a must, unless you're happy working through a few second hand options.

Warszawa

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Mar 12, 2013
UK
AKA
Joe
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Why are you selling it?
Too much treble with my ATC speakers. I don't like to hear the upper range of Sam Smith's voice. 

dd0.png

BananaPlug

Wammer
Mar 8, 2021
I’ve had an annoying issue of the innuous being ‘lost’ as a device on Spotify so the music disconnects again and again. Completely ruins a listening session and I’m not sure where the issue lies. 

As for that treble, I’m still listening and I think I have to explore more songs to form a more informed view

Fourlegs

WAVE Digital Cables
Wammer
May 5, 2014
Melton Mowbray
www.wavehighfidelity.com
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
As for that treble, I’m still listening and I think I have to explore more songs to form a more informed view
Can you remind me of your playback chain please? I know you have the ATC and Innuos but what did you end up with as DAC and preamp and what cables are you using to the ATC?

Last edited by a moderator:

BananaPlug

Wammer
Mar 8, 2021
Can you remind me of your playback chain please? I know you have the ATC and Innuos but what did you end up with as DAC and preamp and what cables are you using to the ATC?
I have a Hugo TT dac. No other pre amp. Cables are the ones you very kindly made up for me.

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’ve had an annoying issue of the innuous being ‘lost’ as a device on Spotify so the music disconnects again and again. Completely ruins a listening session and I’m not sure where the issue lies. 

Do you still have your Node? Why not plug that back in and just concentrate on the speakers without the technical issues you are having. Then add the TT and assess. And then add the Innuos and assess. You really need at least a few days of listening in each step with a large range of music. Then you will know what each change is making to your set up and if it’s worthwhile. 

• Upvote
Reactions: BananaPlug

Fourlegs

WAVE Digital Cables
Wammer
May 5, 2014
Melton Mowbray
www.wavehighfidelity.com
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I have a Hugo TT dac. No other pre amp. Cables are the ones you very kindly made up for me.
Hmmn, in which case I am rather perplexed with the perceived treble issues. Are you using iPeng with the Innuos?

And sorry for not remembering your kit and even the cables I sent to you. I forget my own kit some days!

Reactions: BananaPlug

Cable Monkey

Staff member
May 16, 2006
Birmingham, UK
AKA
Henry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’m interested in the fact we seem to see what he describes as a problem that needs fixing. Let’s remind ourselves that the speakers are still very new, and that he is not a professional reviewer. Any opinion of this sort needs a second opinion. One mans ‘rolled off’ may be another’s dry accurate representation of what cymbals actually sound like. That for me is a healthier approach than trying to shepherd him to a description we might prefer. I’d suggest stability. Keep it as it is for a solid couple of weeks before changing anything in or out. Making changes while various components are still evolving will just confuse matters.

• Upvote
Reactions: Griff500

Griff500

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Dec 27, 2017
Prague, Czech
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’m interested in the fact we seem to see what he describes as a problem that needs fixing. Let’s remind ourselves that the speakers are still very new, and that he is not a professional reviewer. Any opinion of this sort needs a second opinion. One mans ‘rolled off’ may be another’s dry accurate representation of what cymbals actually sound like. That for me is a healthier approach than trying to shepherd him to a description we might prefer. I’d suggest stability. Keep it as it is for a solid couple of weeks before changing anything in or out. Making changes while various components are still evolving will just confuse matters.
I don't think people are seeing what he describes as a problem to be fixed - it just goes against what people expect from these speakers. The suggestions made have fundamentally been the same as you have suggested - get used to it before making changes. I think the only change suggested has been to compare Qobuz to Spotify.

BananaPlug

Wammer
Mar 8, 2021
I don't think people are seeing what he describes as a problem to be fixed - it just goes against what people expect from these speakers. The suggestions made have fundamentally been the same as you have suggested - get used to it before making changes. I think the only change suggested has been to compare Qobuz to Spotify.
Yes, please know that I’m not a professional reviewer and these are very very early days in my listening. I agree that I must allow time for ‘ tuning’ and not chop and change. I won’t be doing anything except listen to my current set up. The only issue I’d the sudden and frequent connection drop with innuous. That didn’t happen with my Node 2i so I’m guessing it’s the home plug thing that’s causing drops 

simon g

Senior Wammer
Wammer Plus
Sep 11, 2006
No linger active on this forum
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My thoughts on this.

ATC speakers are very 'matter of fact'. They have a professional, studio background. They tend to be very accurate and revealing. They also tend not to sound their best at low volumes. Some like their sound, others don't. However, there's no doubting that they are good speakers.

What you may well be experiencing is that your system is revealing the shortcomings of lossy streaming. In my opinion and experience you are seriously compromising your very good kit by using Spotify. Try Tidal or Qobuz.

As to connection issues; use ethernet cable if at all possible, use a switch between your router and streamer. If you're using wifi and have no choice, make sure your router isn't placing your ipad, or whatever, on one frequency and streamer on another.

If you're not accustomed to various bits of hifi kit, then it would be useful to invite a friendly wammer around for an opinion. They could also help with set up, tweaks, etc. Also, try to get to hear other systems and approaches. 

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online