Advice for a Preamp/DAC please...

BananaPlug

Wammer
Mar 8, 2021
Hmmn, in which case I am rather perplexed with the perceived treble issues. Are you using iPeng with the Innuos?

And sorry for not remembering your kit and even the cables I sent to you. I forget my own kit some days!
Hi, no worries. I’m sure you have so many customers etc. I have removed iPeng since I got Spotify working. My comments on treble should be placed in context so here are my comparison speakers that I have personally owned/ heard;

dynaudio audience 52se

harbeth ( still use but can’t recall model) 

kef q35s ( no longer use)

neat Acoustics Floorstanders

of these, the ribbon tweeter of the Neats is something that had a crispness to remember. 

I hope this puts some context on my comments. 

CnoEvil

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Aug 7, 2018
Northern Ireland
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi, no worries. I’m sure you have so many customers etc. I have removed iPeng since I got Spotify working. My comments on treble should be placed in context so here are my comparison speakers that I have personally owned/ heard;

dynaudio audience 52se

of these, the ribbon tweeter of the Neats is something that had a crispness to remember. 

That's quite a mixed bag.

I suppose, that if directly comparing them to the Neats, they might seem a little dull. I think both Harbeth and Dynaudio have nicely judged Treble. The Kef IQ Series could come across as a bit bright if paired with the wrong amp- but I'm not familiar with the Q Series.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cable Monkey

Staff member
May 16, 2006
Birmingham, UK
AKA
Henry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There is nothing intrinsically wrong with homeplugs. In a “data is data” world they certainly don’t do harm unless your home wiring is shot. I use them for all my music and video streaming and they are fine. As long as they are not old there shouldn’t be a problem. If you can bypass them temporarily that should prove if it is them or something else. 

• Upvote
Reactions: Tony_J

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

dynaudio audience 52se

I have Harbeth and Neat at home. If you are used to Neats then almost anything else will sound dull by comparison. Since putting the Neats into my lounge set up of Auralic Altair G1 and Marantz PM11S2 (both very neutral) I am working out whether to abandon the Neats or to replace something else as the treble to just ‘too much’ in this signal chain.

But if this Neat presentation is something that you are used to, and like, then you are unlikely to fully enjoy the ATC until you recalibrate your brain. 

• Upvote
Reactions: CnoEvil

BananaPlug

Wammer
Mar 8, 2021
I'm guessing those that use them, me included, do so mainly because they have very little choice.
Yes, my routers downstairs and I used the home plug as a means for the innuous needing a wired connection. Not really what I wanted to do

BananaPlug

Wammer
Mar 8, 2021
I have Harbeth and Neat at home. If you are used to Neats then almost anything else will sound dull by comparison. Since putting the Neats into my lounge set up of Auralic Altair G1 and Marantz PM11S2 (both very neutral) I am working out whether to abandon the Neats or to replace something else as the treble to just ‘too much’ in this signal chain.

But if this Neat presentation is something that you are used to, and like, then you are unlikely to fully enjoy the ATC until you recalibrate your brain. 
I’m not used to Neat. I have heard them and did enjoy the presentation. Yes, the treble on them is forward I guess but I wasn’t offended by it. I only mentioned them as the ribbon tweeter was something new to me and I wondered if that was the signature sound of the ribbon.

the dynaudios and Harbeths are as you say.

simon g

Senior Wammer
Wammer Plus
Sep 11, 2006
No linger active on this forum
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There is nothing intrinsically wrong with homeplugs. In a “data is data” world they certainly don’t do harm unless your home wiring is shot. I use them for all my music and video streaming and they are fine. As long as they are not old there shouldn’t be a problem. If you can bypass them temporarily that should prove if it is them or something else. 
It's often not a matter of wiring being 'shot'. Ethernet over mains can be very problematic with RCBOs and RCDs. RCBOs are increasingly common on new, modern installations, certainly not on 'shot' wiring. 

BananaPlug

Wammer
Mar 8, 2021
Is this the same @BananaPlug that was concerned about too much treble at the start of this journey?
Yes it is. I think that’s largely due to an inability to audition first. My perceptions are based upon what I know and that may be a little more treble forward to others here. But I still feel it’s too early to conclude anything. 

Griff500

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Dec 27, 2017
Prague, Czech
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes it is. I think that’s largely due to an inability to audition first. My perceptions are based upon what I know and that may be a little more treble forward to others here. But I still feel it’s too early to conclude anything. 
I was just teasing you about your initial concerns that the speakers would have too much treble. 

It is too early to conclude anything and I do think our brains need time to adjust to anything new.

Griff500

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Dec 27, 2017
Prague, Czech
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
How please? 
Buy a wireless bridge, connect it to your router using wifi and then ethernet from the bridge to your streamer, assuming you can get a decent signal between them. It's not something I've had to look into for many years as I've had my router in a convenient place for as long as I can remember.

I am currently using a 4G router so that can easily be placed wherever I want it.

Reactions: DomT

Cable Monkey

Staff member
May 16, 2006
Birmingham, UK
AKA
Henry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It's often not a matter of wiring being 'shot'. Ethernet over mains can be very problematic with RCBOs and RCDs. RCBOs are increasingly common on new, modern installations, certainly not on 'shot' wiring. 
I’ve not dealt with installations using RCBO’s (yet). I’ve yet to come across issues specifically related to the RCD’s used in an installation and certainly using RCD’s in my house have not caused issues I could attribute to them. That said I’ll do some reading. My experience revolves around older homes with wiring in different parts of a house being different ages.

ChemMan

ChemMan
Wammer
Aug 8, 2018
Brussels
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'd like to second or third everything already said.

-- Great speakers.  I have lots of experience with them and they are not forward in the treble for me.  Most likely not the problem (the drama with the damage aside) and of course you will listen for a moon or two before making up your mind. 

-- In my experience a hard wired connection is essential. I would do whatever it took to make it happen. You've got 10K+ invested into your system, what's a few hundred quid more?

-- Someone mentioned the ATC's showing up the lossy streaming of Spotify.  YES.   I think Spotify streams are awful. IMV, the quality of the stream makes much more difference than the streamer.  I tested Spotify early on, as well as Bluetooth. In both cases, it was night and day compared to Tidal or Qobuz.  I use both services.

BananaPlug

Wammer
Mar 8, 2021
Hi guys,

I’m sorry to ask but how the hell do I use Qobuz on my innuous? I am lost!

ive bought Qobuz and it’s on iPhone app

On my.innuous.com I’ve set up the music service. It says completed.

it then says use iPeng so I’ve reloaded that

but on the myapps section I go into Qobuz and it asks me to put my user name and password on the server settings advanced????

where is that page ? I’ve no idea where to go. 

please can any users advise?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online