advice on a quality "Rangefinder" - Fuji X-Pro 1???

pmac

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 19, 2005
Looking to buy a rangefinder type camera, but before we go any further, a Leica M9 is way over budget! :nup:

Must haves

Full manual (as well as auto) operation

Large sensor

Very good PQ at high ISO settings

High quality prime lenses available

Easily implemented exposure compensation

Robust construction

Need not have

Video

Scene recognition bollox

I aim to use this for everyday photography, but in particular for travel pics and (non-flash) indoor shots (including for example, hi-fi shows)

I have a Lumix G3 which I use for wildlife photography and I'm quite happy with that, but I want to carry that with the 100-300mm zoom (almost) permanently fitted (200-600mm 35mm equivalent) and carry the rangefinder for high quality landscape and people shots.

Up to now the Fuji x-Pro 1 looks like it ticks most of the boxes and is just within budget. Probably combined with the 18mm f2 OR the 35mm f1.4 Fujinon lens. (I really just want one prime lens at the moment)

http://www.digitalrev.com/product/fujifilm-x-pro1/MTAwMDI1NA_A_A?googlebase=1&country=GB&gclid=CNa9ttnBmLoCFY7HtAodQF0ApQ

Any others out there that I need to consider in that price bracket?

Any advice appreciated!

HoopsOnToast

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Feb 6, 2006
Oxfordshire
AKA
Rob
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
The X-Pro1 is the only rangefinder at that price is it not?

Only other ones are the Fuji X100 and X100s AFAIK.

S/H Epsom R-D1?

Epson&Leicasmall.jpg

HoopsOnToast

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Feb 6, 2006
Oxfordshire
AKA
Rob
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
AFAIK, the Fuji X-Pro and X100 are the only rangefinder cameras on the market other than the Leica.

You can get a 'rangefinder' style compact system camera with electronic viewfinders like the other Fuji X-E1, Sony NEX 6 or 7 for example.

pmac

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 19, 2005
AFAIK, the Fuji X-Pro and X100 are the only rangefinder cameras on the market other than the Leica.You can get a 'rangefinder' style compact system camera with electronic viewfinders like the other Fuji X-E1, Sony NEX 6 or 7 for example.
Thanks Rob, I guess there's little choice then

fordy

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 29, 2006
Wirral, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I can thoroughly recommend the X-Pro. I am loving mine and cannot put it down. It's got me out and about every weekend and traveling more frequently, just to take pics. Probably 3-4000 frames since August. I like the 35 much more than the 18 so far although i think my favourite lenses are the 55-200 and the 14. The 35 stays on as the everyday lens though because it's so versatile and is perfect for low light bokeh-tastic shots of the kids in restaurants and cafes where you wouldn't want to use flash.

X-Pro will be replaced next year though so more price drops to come yet. If you can live with just the EVF (and I must say I'm rarely using the OVF so far) the X-E1 is a good option. It's heavily discounted just now too because of the imminent announcement of the X-E2 this week.

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Was at a friend's wedding recently and the pros were using an X-Pro as well as 'conventional' 5D Canons. The guy reckoned the X was a real gem and having had a quick play with it, it certainly felt 'right' if that makes sense. When budget permits, I'm seriously considering one to replace the trusted Canon compact, as it's getting a bit old in the tooth now.

karlinamillion

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 9, 2007
Londinium
AKA
Karl
High quality prime lenses available
The Fuji X100 & X100s are fantastic cameras, they feel & behave like a proper camera & the X100 can be hade for a good price too, but, as per the above, they are fixed 35mm lenes, though you can get a wide angle converter.

pmac

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 19, 2005
Sounds like the X-pro 1 then.

I do want the lenses to be interchangeable and also want the OVF, so I guess it's a no-brainer.

Seems to be very highly thought of, both here and in the reviews I've read.

Just need to choose between the 18mm f2 or the 35mm f1.4. I like the thought of the faster 35mm lens, but the wider angle 18mm may be more of an advantage :dunno: Eventually I'll probably get both, but for now, which one?

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It's APS-C sensor size, but depends on the type of photography you do. For me even the 18mm might not be wide enough, and the 35mm would be no-go. f2 isn't that tight and the IQ means it's better to crop something too wide, that not get enough in in the first place.

pmac

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 19, 2005
It's APS-C sensor size, but depends on the type of photography you do. For me even the 18mm might not be wide enough, and the 35mm would be no-go. f2 isn't that tight and the IQ means it's better to crop something too wide, that not get enough in in the first place.
Pretty much my thoughts, so even though I wouldn't mind having the faster lens, I think the 18mm will be the better "all-rounder" to begin with :^

pmac

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 19, 2005
That's it then, order placed for X-Pro 1 & 18mm f2 Lens :^

Thanks for your help!

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I do love the DSLR, but I have thought more than once that the convenience, size and weight of something like the X-Pro is a perfect solution. So many times I end up sticking the crap compact in my pocket, because lugging around the 50D and a couple of lenses is simply too much damned effort.

Will be very, very interested to see the results!

pmac

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 19, 2005
I do love the DSLR, but I have thought more than once that the convenience, size and weight of something like the X-Pro is a perfect solution. So many times I end up sticking the crap compact in my pocket, because lugging around the 50D and a couple of lenses is simply too much damned effort.Will be very, very interested to see the results!
Will certainly post some results Richard :^

If you want, I could email high-res images to you?

tkimages

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 14, 2006
St Helens
AKA
Tillman
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I do love the DSLR, but I have thought more than once that the convenience, size and weight of something like the X-Pro is a perfect solution. So many times I end up sticking the crap compact in my pocket, because lugging around the 50D and a couple of lenses is simply too much damned effort.Will be very, very interested to see the results!
I feel the same sometimes ( it's an age thing in my case) and the Olympus EPl 2, as good as it is, is just lacking that bit of IQ.

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I feel the same sometimes ( it's an age thing in my case) and the Olympus EPl 2, as good as it is, is just lacking that bit of IQ.
I know. The trouble is, the additional (welcome) IQ I'd get from the EOS is offset by the fact that I simply don't have it, because it's too damned bulky and heavy.

We went to Norfolk to see mother a couple of weekends back and I carefully packed the full kit in the boot. Everywhere we went the weather was glorious, but to be honest what with maps, phone, glasses, wallet, etc. I just left the bloody thing in the car as it was too much hassle.

These days, the DSLR comes out to play when I go out on my own with the sole intent of taking pictures. Which, with business and personal stuff is once in a blue moon. So that's a very good DSLR with three very good lenses, filters, tripod, etc. all sitting in a bag and getting used no more than once a moth at the moment, if that.

I did for a while seriously look at a D5, but these days the thought of a smaller, lighter high IQ solution that doesn't cost Leica money is very, very tempting...

Gromit

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 17, 2006
Yellowbellyshire
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Curse you Paul!!!! :D

Was in John Lewis in Cambridge yesterday late afternoon, your thread got me having a look at an X100S. Had a brief play with it and it's just a gorgeous thing to hold and use. Like you I'd prefer interchangeable glass but what a wonderful camera the 100S is.

Ken Rockwell's site has some fabulous images taken with the 100S too. :^

pmac

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 19, 2005
Curse you Paul!!!! :D Was in John Lewis in Cambridge yesterday late afternoon, your thread got me having a look at an X100S. Had a brief play with it and it's just a gorgeous thing to hold and use. Like you I'd prefer interchangeable glass but what a wonderful camera the 100S is.

Ken Rockwell's site has some fabulous images taken with the 100S too. :^
:D

Yep, the X-Pro1 having interchangeable lenses and OVF did it for me, Richard.

Looking forward to receiving it and having a play :^

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.