Alternative Isolation Options

garn63

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Mar 3, 2020
www.avfc.co.uk
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I used circular cork pads from IKEA under the heads of my KEF 105. All sounds just a little clearer and tighter.
I do it cheapish Rohan. If you are happy with the results that's all that counts. I use the thick sorbothane & dynamat too. Would put money towards a v.good quality pair of spkrs rather than alot on isolation. More fun swapping spkrs in & out ? ...but that's just me.

Last edited by a moderator:

lostwin

Tinker Bod
Wammer Plus
Nov 26, 2018
Folkestone, Kent
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Have to say I love this thread. How's it going with the Hawker Hunter gunsight stabiliser? 
That's currently not in use as i don't have an item of kit light enough - about 1 - 2kg is ideal for that one. The more recent ones I have posted about are larger and have higher weight loadings, I have seen 2lb, 4lb, 6lb, 8lb, 12ib and 15lb versions (per mount) - the lighter rated ones I think are the best. I have them under TT, phono and pre currently.

VanDerGraaf

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 29, 2015
Glasgow
AKA
Rohan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That's currently not in use as i don't have an item of kit light enough - about 1 - 2kg is ideal for that one. The more recent ones I have posted about are larger and have higher weight loadings, I have seen 2lb, 4lb, 6lb, 8lb, 12ib and 15lb versions (per mount) - the lighter rated ones I think are the best. I have them under TT, phono and pre currently.
Might get one for my dac- psu is external so it probably weighs a kilo or two at most.

slavedata

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 2, 2009
Bottesford Melton
AKA
Dave Slater
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’ll keep banging on about these vintage aircraft spring units. This supplier has a reasonable stock of these and have halved their price to just £10. I have just bought 2 trays, that’s 4 spring units per tray. They are NOS, still in their 60 plus year old waxed paper wrapping and the original grease on the springs has kept them in near perfect condition, which makes them a fantastic buy. The spring units are each rated at 8lbs. You need to drill out 8 rivets per tray to separate the mounts.

£10! and they make the engineering on the Nobsound equivalents look positively agricultural in comparison.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Radio-tray-10AJ-214-for-RAF-aircraft-GB8-/192891038962?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0
You've convinced me! I don't need any isolators at the moment but I thought it would be interesting to try. One ordered.

Reactions: lostwin

lostwin

Tinker Bod
Wammer Plus
Nov 26, 2018
Folkestone, Kent
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You've convinced me! I don't need any isolators at the moment but I thought it would be interesting to try. One ordered.
Let us know how you get on. Presumably you may have the option of swapping out some existing isolation for these spring mounts, so would be interesting to know if you can hear any difference.

slavedata

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 2, 2009
Bottesford Melton
AKA
Dave Slater
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So the isolation radio tray came this morning. Package still sealed from the year dot. As you suggested isolation units full encased in greas and in mint condition. I don't have a use for it yet but I'll hang on till the need arises. Do you know what weight each of the mounts is optimised for?

lostwin

Tinker Bod
Wammer Plus
Nov 26, 2018
Folkestone, Kent
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So the isolation radio tray came this morning. Package still sealed from the year dot. As you suggested isolation units full encased in greas and in mint condition. I don't have a use for it yet but I'll hang on till the need arises. Do you know what weight each of the mounts is optimised for?
The weight rating for each mount should be stamped on the casing. I would expect it to be the same as the ones I received, so 8lb per mount.

The seller has amended the price of these trays now, up to £25 - still great value for what they are but you all had a chance when I posted at the bargain price... 

Reactions: bencat

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

lostwin

Tinker Bod
Wammer Plus
Nov 26, 2018
Folkestone, Kent
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/373043948877?var=641817458631

I have just put a set of these under my whole rack rated at about 20kg each, but smaller ones are ok for speakers.

Basically these are an industrial version of the isoacoustic stuff, not as engineered and probably not as street cred but a good bit cheaper, and wobbly/isolating
That’s exactly the spirit I wanted this thread to be about, chapeaux sir!

I saw that you commented on a sales thread about how you used them, would be interested in a few pictures as I am tempted to try these as footers on my rack as well.

toms wait

Wammer
Wammer
May 20, 2015
Lancaster
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That’s exactly the spirit I wanted this thread to be about, chapeaux sir!

I saw that you commented on a sales thread about how you used them, would be interested in a few pictures as I am tempted to try these as footers on my rack as well.
The red/pink bit is the actual rubber which is supposed to be in the grey foot bit.  But I found it fitted and probably worked better mounted as I have them.  They are designed to work on hard floors and be screwed to the floor for permanently fixed machinery.  But with carpets I think they are better like this.

Probably not as "pretty" as isoacoustics/townshend etc but they are small at the size I have and are about the with of my 25mm veneered mdf rack foot.  They are also lots cheaper.

IMG_4222.jpg

IMG_4223.jpg

IMG_4224.jpg

Reactions: antonio66

toms wait

Wammer
Wammer
May 20, 2015
Lancaster
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have also done my own wobbly a la "isoacoustics/townshend" speaker feet.  Basically a triangle of 20mm oak with sorbothane domes under.  The oak is triangular because my speakers only use 3 feet, levelling is much easier on 3 feet.  No idea why most speakers use four.  

lostwin

Tinker Bod
Wammer Plus
Nov 26, 2018
Folkestone, Kent
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The red/pink bit is the actual rubber which is supposed to be in the grey foot bit.  But I found it fitted and probably worked better mounted as I have them.  They are designed to work on hard floors and be screwed to the floor for permanently fixed machinery.  But with carpets I think they are better like this.

Probably not as "pretty" as isoacoustics/townshend etc but they are small at the size I have and are about the with of my 25mm veneered mdf rack foot.  They are also lots cheaper.

IMG20221230091636.jpg

IMG20221230091832.jpg

IMG20221230091847.jpg
mmm... I'm sure it is effective but not convinced we are going to persuade the potential Gaia purchasers looking like this.  Is there anything left inside the metal housing? If not you could dispense with it and just sit the rubber on a small coaster on the carpet.  I guess the original configuration aims to smooth vibrations from above (i.e. a vibrating machine) whereas under a rack you are more looking to kill vibrations from the floor - was that the thinking? Couldn't you have just mounted the original upside down?

For speakers, the right way up should work and the female thread could be used with a bit of threaded rod to connect directly into the spike mounting holes. As such these would price up at about £150 for 8 mounts and as you say, they appear to follow similar design principles as the Gaia.

toms wait

Wammer
Wammer
May 20, 2015
Lancaster
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I haven't agonised about the looks of it because it is only about 35mm tall.  

No you couldn't do away with the metal housing and just sit it on the floor because the centre spine that carries the rubbers would rest on the floor then and that would by-pass the damping.  Presently the spine that carries the rubbers passes through a hole in the top of the metal housing so it doesn't touch anything.

I wasn't trying to persuade anybody away from spending pots of money to get something prettier if that is what they wish to do.  For me they look fine, and it was only a trial.

Mounting the whole thing upside down would not work as the spine would again touch the floor and the damping rubber wouldn't be in use as the positioning rubber would be loaded but the damping rubber would not be loaded.  You would have to study the drawings on eBay to understand this.  But trust me when they arrived I pondered best fit for a while and what you see is it for a stand and a carpeted floor.  Being cheap it was never going to be perfect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles