Alternative Isolation Options

toms wait

Wammer
Wammer
May 20, 2015
Lancaster
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
mmm... I'm sure it is effective but not convinced we are going to persuade the potential Gaia purchasers looking like this. 
TBH this is out of context, photo taken at floor level, they look bigger in the pics than they are, and they are in-situ hidden by the overhang of the side panels of the rack.

lostwin

Tinker Bod
Wammer Plus
Nov 26, 2018
Folkestone, Kent
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The red/pink bit is the actual rubber which is supposed to be in the grey foot bit.  But I found it fitted and probably worked better mounted as I have them.  They are designed to work on hard floors and be screwed to the floor for permanently fixed machinery.  But with carpets I think they are better like this.

Probably not as "pretty" as isoacoustics/townshend etc but they are small at the size I have and are about the with of my 25mm veneered mdf rack foot.  They are also lots cheaper.

IMG20221230091636.jpg

IMG20221230091832.jpg

IMG20221230091847.jpg
Good that you have thought it through. I think I may look to grab a set myself to understand better how they are made up. The pictures make them look bigger, 35mm is pretty discrete.

toms wait

Wammer
Wammer
May 20, 2015
Lancaster
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
They are pretty simple in construction, a spine/carrier has 2 rubbers, a dense one for lateral position and the absorbing one, this all then fits into the outer carrier housing.  But you must think how to fit it if not as designed.  It would be easy to install so the spine hit the floor and there was no damping.  Also easy to install so that the dense rubber absorbs and the other does nothing!

Cheap enough to get and play with.

chrisph

Just me
Wammer Plus
Apr 2, 2010
Near Portsmouth
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’ll keep banging on about these vintage aircraft spring units. This supplier has a reasonable stock of these and have halved their price to just £10. I have just bought 2 trays, that’s 4 spring units per tray. They are NOS, still in their 60 plus year old waxed paper wrapping and the original grease on the springs has kept them in near perfect condition, which makes them a fantastic buy. The spring units are each rated at 8lbs. You need to drill out 8 rivets per tray to separate the mounts.

£10! and they make the engineering on the Nobsound equivalents look positively agricultural in comparison.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Radio-tray-10AJ-214-for-RAF-aircraft-GB8-/192891038962?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0
Well I have just gone and ordered the last available one so look forward to having a play with it in the New Year.

lostwin

Tinker Bod
Wammer Plus
Nov 26, 2018
Folkestone, Kent
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well I have just gone and ordered the last available one so look forward to having a play with it in the New Year.
Nice, I should be on a commission- I bet the seller hasn’t known what has hit him having probably had them lying around for the last 20 years!

Let us know how you get on.  I was comparing them to the Nobsound spring units again last night (I use the Nobsound under my amp due to the weight, aircraft units are under the TT next to it on the rack) the Nobsounds creak and wobble at a much higher frequency, the aircraft mounts are silent and superbly damped.

chrisph

Just me
Wammer Plus
Apr 2, 2010
Near Portsmouth
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Nice, I should be on a commission- I bet the seller hasn’t known what has hit him having probably had them lying around for the last 20 years!

Let us know how you get on.  I was comparing them to the Nobsound spring units again last night (I use the Nobsound under my amp due to the weight, aircraft units are under the TT next to it on the rack) the Nobsounds creak and wobble at a much higher frequency, the aircraft mounts are silent and superbly damped.
Can imagine it has been a pleasant surprise for him selling the lot.  I am hoping to try them under my TT so hopefully not to heavy.  I presume you degreased them - any recommendations on how to do that easily?

lostwin

Tinker Bod
Wammer Plus
Nov 26, 2018
Folkestone, Kent
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Can imagine it has been a pleasant surprise for him selling the lot.  I am hoping to try them under my TT so hopefully not to heavy.  I presume you degreased them - any recommendations on how to do that easily?
Reckon you should be good for 15 - 20kg with 4 mounts - they will easily take a bit more but that might take them out of their optimum range.

The previous units I have cleaned up with WD40 and a toothbrush, then added fresh grease.

Reactions: chrisph

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online