jtc

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 10, 2007
Fife Riviera, UK
AKA
John
Hi folks.

I have a Resolution Audio Opus 21 which I like but which is a two box player and I would prefer a single box player of roughly the same standard. As I am probably going to end up with an AVI integrated amp (I have one on extended dem/sale/borrow) I quite like the idea of the Lab Series CDP.

However, not all of what I've read has been positive - it seems that some regard it as the weak link in the AVI range.

I just wondered if anyone here actually has one, or has had one (current model only) and what they thought of it. Even if it's not *quite* as good as the Opus 21, I could probably save a few bob by selling the Opus for around £1800 and buying a used AVI CDP.

Any thoughts?

Papa Lazarou

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Bletchley, Bucks
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The AVI is supposed to be a good cdp but it could be a step backwards after the Opus 21. The Micromega Aria could be another player to consider.

frog_of_toulouse

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 26, 2007
Le Havre ; France
AKA
Didier
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Micromega is in some kind of turmoil : they are more or less out of business for 2 or 3 months.

AVI CDP is more than a few step backwards Opus 21 : there is a huge gap between the two of them.

May have a look to a second hand Audionet Art V2 or Frenchy at its Frenchiest an Icos Fado, which could more or less 1800 £.

An other option could be the Audioaéro Prima (2200 €), which sounds nice.

You could event try to send your Opus 21 in France, local importer sells it at a pricey 4600 € (more 3000 pounds) and buy one the fancy French players I recommand you.

ob1

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 12, 2007
outside....Norwich,
AKA
OB
frog_of_toulouse wrote:

Micromega is in some kind of turmoil : they are more or less out of business for 2 or 3 months.
They also have a very bad customer service in UK (IF YOU CAN FIND ONE!), shame cos it's a decent products.

beeroclock

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 30, 2006
Bath, , United Kingd
Hi Jtc

I would think long and hard before parting with the opus 21. I know the urge to change, swop, neaten up etc, come along when you have children (I have a 2 1/2 yr old daughter).

I also know that you can't imagine listening as much as you used to etc, and you won't for a while. But there will come a time when you get back into it - want to listen again. I can honestly say that for sensible money I have not heard a cd player I'd rather have than the Opus 21. I know its not perfect but it has been the only silver disc spinner I had where I've forgotten I was listening to cds and just enjoyed the music. Where I didn't have that sad feeling I was buying cd's and not vinyl.

In the long run the the few hundred quid you save now (unlees you really need it) you will probably loose and them some, further down the line.

regards philip

The Hifi Gallery

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 1, 2005
Kinross
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
the opus 21 is an amazing player, but not sure it's natural partner is the AVI (we sell both) oh and it's much better than the avi cdp, JTC perhaps you need another beefier valve amp (it's what the opus likes best) other alternatives are the resolution power amp, to go with the opus, they have another box that can be added onto that too to enable you to use more than one source.

Davewhityetagain

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
, ,
jtc wrote:

Hi folks.I have a Resolution Audio Opus 21 which I like but which is a two box player and I would prefer a single box player of roughly the same standard. As I am probably going to end up with an AVI integrated amp (I have one on extended dem/sale/borrow) I quite like the idea of the Lab Series CDP.

However, not all of what I've read has been positive - it seems that some regard it as the weak link in the AVI range.

I just wondered if anyone here actually has one, or has had one (current model only) and what they thought of it. Even if it's not *quite* as good as the Opus 21, I could probably save a few bob by selling the Opus for around £1800 and buying a used AVI CDP.

Any thoughts?
Had avi and have used opus 21 too the Opus is far better than the Avi and pay the extra £80 for the fancy lead its worth it nice bit of kit well built and comes in a nice box too
wink.png

i like one box better than two box but at its price point its great about same price as a cdx2 (had one of them too) and its better more musical and a bit more detail
smile.png

johan1970

Wammer
New Wammer
Mar 21, 2007
, , Belgium
Crazy audiofools here, there is NEVER a HUGE difference between quality cd players. If there are differences then they are very subtle and in an ABX listening test most people will not hear it. Very recently a well organized listeningtest by a serious hifi forum (www.hear.nl / http://www.hififorum.nl/index.php?topic=7326.0) concluded this, it was seen as a total surprise by them. By the way I know the Opus and I own the AVI, the Opus is a little bit more detailled, the AVI nicer to listen to (as almost any CD player with a Wolffson WM8740 DAC)but it will probably depend a bit to the rest of your setup. Audiofreaks will call the difference huge because they have heard one little twink better as on another player, crazy world. I have never understood this regarding CD players, if you talk about huge differences talk about speakers or analog!

Davewhityetagain

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
, ,
johan1970 wrote:

Crazy audiofools here, there is NEVER a HUGE difference between quality cd players. If there are differences then they are very subtle and in an ABX listening test most people will not hear it. Very recently a well organized listeningtest by a serious hifi forum (http://www.hear.nl / http://www.hififorum.nl/index.php?topic=7326.0) concluded this, it was seen as a total surprise by them. By the way I know the Opus and I own the AVI, the Opus is a little bit more detailled, the AVI nicer to listen to (as almost any CD player with a Wolffson WM8740 DAC)but it will probably depend a bit to the rest of your setup. Audiofreaks will call the difference huge because they have heard one little twink better as on another player, crazy world. I have never understood this regarding CD players, if you talk about huge differences talk about speakers or analog!
Well if all cd players sound so close to each other and there is not a huge differance could be your ears need the wax cleaning out of them

Who knows ?

If they so close why spend so much on an avi ?

The Hifi Gallery

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 1, 2005
Kinross
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
johan1970 wrote:

Crazy audiofools here, there is NEVER a HUGE difference between quality cd players. If there are differences then they are very subtle and in an ABX listening test most people will not hear it. Very recently a well organized listeningtest by a serious hifi forum (http://www.hear.nl / http://www.hififorum.nl/index.php?topic=7326.0) concluded this, it was seen as a total surprise by them. By the way I know the Opus and I own the AVI, the Opus is a little bit more detailled, the AVI nicer to listen to (as almost any CD player with a Wolffson WM8740 DAC)but it will probably depend a bit to the rest of your setup. Audiofreaks will call the difference huge because they have heard one little twink better as on another player, crazy world. I have never understood this regarding CD players, if you talk about huge differences talk about speakers or analog!
Johan, in a certain way I agree with you, there are less differences between cd players than other things, but the Opus 21 is LOT, I MEAN REALLY A HUGE amount more detail (too much more for some) than the AVI, although I concede that you prefer the AVI, thats the subjective bit.

A

Alex A

The AVI is only just better than mp3, apparently. Don't bother
wink.png

As for the Opus 21. If you like what it does, there is very little (IME) that sounds very much like it at all. Maybe look for a SH single chassis Resolution Audio CDP.

jtc

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 10, 2007
Fife Riviera, UK
AKA
John
Heh heh. I might just do that ('cause at the back of my mind I have a notion to go down the squeezebox +server route). I'll reply to your PM now...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.