AVI Lab Series CD player?

jtc

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 10, 2007
Fife Riviera, UK
AKA
John
You're right - I had you confused with someone else. Feel free to make an offer for the Opus then
wink.gif.25d7e4815f6a2fee62f4117deebb27e0.gif

(also have a 1m custom Speltz anticable DNM DIN -> Eichmann Bullet cable, which is perhaps the best interconnect you could possibly get for an Opus - cost me £££ but may include in the deal...)

Davewhityetagain

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
, ,
jtc wrote:

(also have a 1m custom Speltz anticable DNM DIN -> Eichmann Bullet cable, which is perhaps the best interconnect you could possibly get for an Opus - cost me £££ but may include in the deal...)
Thats the upgraded cable I was asked about..... now who asked ?

jtc

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 10, 2007
Fife Riviera, UK
AKA
John
I doubt it is - it's a one-off. I had to source the DNM Din myself and sent it to the states to get the cable made. Cost a small fortune. Worth every penny though.

You're possibly thinking of a DNM-wired equivalent which would sound good but not as good as the Speltz one...

Sony6million

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
United Kingdom
I have actually owned both the AVI Lab Series cd player and amp together so i'm in a good position to give an opinion.

The AVI is a fantastic cd player. Underrated, and you need to look beyond the wafflings of Ashley James of AVI.

I found the avi to be a very, very musical player - I know others here have not. It is simialr to a Meridian 507, but more forward. For me it also unearthed loads of detail and at the same time keeping the beat and everything a nice warmth and body to it.

It is a natural partner for the lab series amp. I think together they are excellent, they provide a sound to seduce you and keep you listening hour after hour - not something to listen to for an hour before you get a sore head.

Yes it is half the price of a Opus, so clearly there will be a difference. But it is still worth the £1500 or so.

IMVO.

jtc

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 10, 2007
Fife Riviera, UK
AKA
John
I'm swaying again - thinking SB+ and my old Shuttle PC, with my old modified Marantz DR6000 for occasional cd duties...

opusover21

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 7, 2007
Next door
AKA
Mrs Brown
JTC,

Personally i think your nuts to get rid of your Opus 21! I have had the AVI on dem and its not in the same ball-park as the Opus...AVI amp was one of those rare times i had images behind me..its a great little amp although I thought the Opus using a top quality interconnect straight into an AVI vII power amp was pretty good...

I use my Opus with a custom made transparent audio DIN connector...personally its the only bit of kit that I would never consider updgrading unless i had 10k burning a hole in my pocket.

I think you would seriously regret letting the Opus go my friend!

DB

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 22, 2005
Bahrain, , Bahrain
Well said Sony!

I admit to being biased as an owner but I have long believed that the AVI CD player is extremely musical, a natural partner to the AVI integrated amp and seriously underrated.

I haven't heard the Opus - it may well be better - it should be for twice the price of the AVI CD - but I've heard CDPs at more than the Opus price which I wouldn't swap for my AVI.

the simple answer is -- listen to it - if you like it buy it - if you don't ..... don't!

cheers

Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.