BBC withdrawing from Tunein?

sunbeamgls

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 19, 2011
North Wales
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
That's a concern.  I think the Linn platform might fall into the "like Sonos" comment on being able to log in.  Hopefully.

Linn needs to take a look though, as a full withdrawl will likely to happen eventually.

Last edited by a moderator:

brantome

Wammer
Oct 18, 2018
I don’t have Sonos so can’t say what sort of login it has, but from the Linn point of view, I’m aware we log in to Tunein to link to our favourites, but I’d imagine that would fall short of logging into the BBC itself.

i may drop Linn a line...

DJK

DJK
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi

I seem to recall that when I first acquired a DS, there was a BBC app within Kinsky. I can't remember what it did exactly and I think it only appeared on a proper computers i.e not phones and tablets. Could this be a way around the problem?

DJK

timster

Linnguist
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Wiltshire, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That is terrible news :(  I currently use my Echo in the mornings and they use TuneIn too. As Linn only use TuneIn for radio, so that leaves me with my Roberts for DAB. In the kitchen.

This is really really terrible news - I hope either BBC and TuneIn can sort it out, or at least Linn provide another accumulator such as Frontier?

• Upvote
Reactions: kelly200269

Moomintroll

Fictional Character - not to be taken literally
Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi, according to this report, the bbc are withdrawing from Tunein U.K. at the end of the month - might this impact Linn users directly? I vaguely recall there were other ways to access BBC radio, just can’t bring them to mind just now....

https://radiotoday.co.uk/2019/08/bbc-to-pull-all-radio-services-from-tunein-uk-platform/
I don’t use Tunein for BBC stations, I have a Playlist setup in Minimserver and stored on my NAS, that contains URLs to all the stations I listen to. IIRC the list came from Simon at Minimserver. The benefit is that streams up to 320 bps can be specified.

’troll

• Upvote
Reactions: Wickie8166

brantome

Wammer
Oct 18, 2018
I don’t use Tunein for BBC stations, I have a Playlist setup in Minimserver and stored on my NAS, that contains URLs to all the stations I listen to. IIRC the list came from Simon at Minimserver. The benefit is that streams up to 320 bps can be specified.

’troll
Yeah, I recalled that after I posted, but I don’t see them retaining those raw urls if they are now wanting you to login to your bbc account first. I see that and Tunein falling into the same camp.

Reactions: sunbeamgls

Moomintroll

Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yeah, I recalled that after I posted, but I don’t see them retaining those raw urls if they are now wanting you to login to your bbc account first. I see that and Tunein falling into the same camp.
Hmm, that would suck. In that case, we all need to email the Beeb technical department to complain.

’troll

• Upvote
Reactions: Tony_J

brantome

Wammer
Oct 18, 2018
That is terrible news :(  I currently use my Echo in the mornings and they use TuneIn too. As Linn only use TuneIn for radio, so that leaves me with my Roberts for DAB. In the kitchen.

This is really really terrible news - I hope either BBC and TuneIn can sort it out, or at least Linn provide another accumulator such as Frontier?
Here’s what Amazon have to say re the Echo: “I understand your concern regarding the withdrawn of BBC radio services from TuneIn UK platform.
I'd like you to know that Amazon has not yet released an official response to this but we understand how deeply impacted our customers will be as you and other customers will no longer be able to stream these radio stations across Echos/Alexa or multi room stereo.
On Amazon's official response on this news, this is solely controlled by our marketing department and we at customer service department can not provide full/clear information whether Amazon will release a response or not.
Our team has informed that any official action/response on this will be directly released to the press so I'd suggest you to check the tabloids/news for information in near future.
I apologize for any sort of inconvenience. As the BBC radio stations are maintained by the 3rd party, we can not promise when will the channels be made available again. But to initiate a response and change, I've taken your feedback to our concerned team of Amazon and BBC content owners.”

I’ve asked Linn too..

Moomintroll

Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes, I’ve just emailed the Helpline too.

’troll

timster

Linnguist
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Wiltshire, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think a strongly worded letter to the Beeb from us license payers would be the best way forward. It seems to be entirely in their court.

timster

Linnguist
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Wiltshire, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I apologize for any sort of inconvenience. As the BBC radio stations are maintained by the 3rd party, we can not promise when will the channels be made available again. But to initiate a response and change, I've taken your feedback to our concerned team of Amazon and BBC content owners.”
Thanks brantome. Not very encouraging though. If it is to do with the beeb wanting everyone to sign in to a Sounds account, no accumulator service will be able to do so. Sometimes the beeb really does shoot itself in the foot!

brantome

Wammer
Oct 18, 2018
I think a strongly worded letter to the Beeb from us license payers would be the best way forward. It seems to be entirely in their court.
Yeah, I’ve complained to them too...

As an aside to Linn, you can use the BBC skill on your Echo, which is a higher quality stream than that which Tunein delivers, but not on echo multi room nor stereo pair groups, alarms nor in routines. You do need to sign in to your bbc account to enable the skill so that will still work.

timster

Linnguist
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Wiltshire, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've put in a complaint to the Beeb:

Withdrawing from TuneIn will mean that many people will no longer be able to access BBC radio. Myself, I only have a network streamer that uses TuneIn to access internet radio, and an Amazon Echo, similarly using TuneIn. If the reason is a requirement to login to a BBC account to listen, this will also affect all other accumulator services who cannot provide such.

This is a BAD decision, both commercially and culturally. As a license fee payer I am complaining that you are adversely affecting my ability to access your programmes,
I strongly urge you to reconsider this backward step.
Yeah, I’ve complained to them too...

As an aside to Linn, you can use the BBC skill on your Echo, which is a higher quality stream than that which Tunein delivers, but not on echo multi room nor stereo pair groups, alarms nor in routines. You do need to sign in to your bbc account to enable the skill so that will still work.
Thanks. I'll look in to that if it isn't resolved. IN the meantime, I presume it would be a simple case of changing the wording of what to say? I currently just say "play world service". Would it have to be a trigger or something else?

brantome

Wammer
Oct 18, 2018
I've put in a complaint to the Beeb:

Thanks. I'll look in to that if it isn't resolved. IN the meantime, I presume it would be a simple case of changing the wording of what to say? I currently just say "play world service". Would it have to be a trigger or something else?
In the Alexa app, go to skills, search for the bbc skill, enable it and log in with your bbc account details. Then ask “Alexa, ask bbc to play world service”. It’s like a cutdown version of bbc sounds, where as well as stations, you can ask so for podcasts and previous episodes although the syntax isn’t well documented 

timster

Linnguist
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Wiltshire, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
In the Alexa app, go to skills, search for the bbc skill, enable it and log in with your bbc account details. Then ask “Alexa, ask bbc to play world service”. It’s like a cutdown version of bbc sounds, where as well as stations, you can ask so for podcasts and previous episodes although the syntax isn’t well documented 
Funny - I already had it enabled! I don't remember doing that.

Just tried - it's a bit of a pain to have to say "ask bbc" before everything though. Still prefer the TuneIn method if only for that.

timster

Linnguist
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Wiltshire, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi

I seem to recall that when I first acquired a DS, there was a BBC app within Kinsky. I can't remember what it did exactly and I think it only appeared on a proper computers i.e not phones and tablets. Could this be a way around the problem?

DJK
I remember that. Not sure they still work though? I haven't installed it on my new laptop. I seem to remember there was something in KazooServer too - but never figured out how to access it from Kazoo - maybe only Kinsky again?

brantome

Wammer
Oct 18, 2018
Linn’s response: “Thank you for your e-mail.

We only heard about this a couple of days ago.  We’re in contact with BBC to see how they recommend we access their radio streams.

We are treating this as apriority,  but as we have not been given much notice of the change,  there is a possibility there will be a period when we have no simple route to BBC Radio support. “

brantome

Wammer
Oct 18, 2018
Funny - I already had it enabled! I don't remember doing that.

Just tried - it's a bit of a pain to have to say "ask bbc" before everything though. Still prefer the TuneIn method if only for that.
On the plus side, it’s meant to be a full 320Kbps stream compared to Tunein’s 128 or 160 (I guess)...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles