Best Cheap hifi rack for less than £50?

sheldon5

Wammer
New Wammer
Apr 5, 2007
Durham, , United Kin
Does anyone know of the best hi-fi rack to be had for less than £50? I've looked at Target racks on eBay but they have wooden shelves - has anyone found a sonic difference between a rack with wood or glass shelving? I dont really want to have to spend hundreds.. thought about making a Flexy which TNT Audio have as a DIY project but frankly dont have the time! Does anyone have the Target shelves or could think of a better alternative?

Thanks

Sheldon

auralflea

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 12, 2006
Black Country
AKA
Kevin
Bricks/ Breezeblocks and plywood 'lifted' off a building site will fit into that price category! The £50 could go on sandpaper, varnish and fixings.....

biggrin.png

sheldon5

Wammer
New Wammer
Apr 5, 2007
Durham, , United Kin
lol very funny.. I am only a student and having spent a lot of money on the rest of the system I'm looking for something reasonable but not expensive - so hence why I'm looking for a used stand!

Injector

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2005
In a shed
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've got nice black metal stand, plenty of shelves too. I'd let it go for fifty quid but I'm in Bristol.
sad.png

A

Alex A

Buy 3-4 Ikea Lack Coffee tables. Cut the legs to the height you want the shelves and stick them together. Spike the bottom too. DIY job for less than £50 all in, and supposedly excellent as hifi racks.

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ikea - particle board seems to be very good at soaking up the vibrations, worked wonders for my old Rega turntable

sheldon5

Wammer
New Wammer
Apr 5, 2007
Durham, , United Kin
Hmm the Ikea rack sounds like an interesting idea. I've heard that glass shelving results in much better results though? Just a standard number of components really - TT, cd player, amp, tuner - all currently on awful shelving so really need to obtain a better solution soon.

Injector - what is your stand? If its a Target I may be interested if you could include Parcelforce in the price which I suppose would be around £15?

dudywoxer

Looking for a bigger stirring stick
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
sunny scunny
AKA
colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The shelving sound is my my mind a bit of a myth, glass sounds clearer, oh pleease. If you fancy cheap with glass try Argos, TV Benches.

JCL

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 27, 2007
North Vancouver, Bri
Build your own.

Ply's about as good as it gets IMO. Buy a sheet of ply, borrow a circular saw and make yourself some shelves. To seperate them I'd suggest more wood but that probably requires a bit more carpentry knowledge, probably best to use some mineral blocks of some sort from a garden centre.

early

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 24, 2007
Lancs
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I use a " Lack Rack " , whole lot including spikes cost £25 and took about an hour

to build , and it certainly sounds no worse than than the expensive racks I've owned ,

In fact the " Lack " princible is very similar to RA's Torlite .

Just a word of warning though , not all of the " Lacks " have solid legs , so when

cut to length you can't redrill them to take screws .

Mine are in black and the legs are hollow , I used a hot glue gun to fix them to the table tops .

I think the wooden finishes have solid legs .

wolfgang

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
Glasgow, ,
From experience the rack and the toys on it could influence the sound waves of the loudspeakers but only if they are close enough or big enough within the room. The material might have some effect but not for the reasons suggested by most hifi journalists.

The Hifi Gallery

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 1, 2005
Kinross
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Sheldon the recco of breezeblocks and plywood is actuallly a good one, looks knda industrial, is flexible in that it can be reeconfigured for different sized kit, other than that, the above mentioned furniture (ikea, argos etc) or search for TNT flexy rack, and build one of those.

Chumpy

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 3, 2005
Bristol UK
AKA
Charlie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It is quite possible to make/buy lovely rack cheaply.

This very likely will appear to sound as good as overpriced tit-head Naim or Mana etc con.

Borats Baby

Wammer
Wammer
May 2, 2006
Warrington
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Bide your time....

Keep checking eBay for a rack you like at the right price......

I got this for £30 and collected it.....

DSC00764.jpg

That there is about £250's worth !

for £30 !

JamesT

Wammer
New Wammer
Apr 5, 2007
Sutton, , United Kin
Try a target stand.. I have one of the wooden welded ones "aquired" from my brother. Not as good looking as other stands like the Sounds Unique and Atacama range, but still a great rack for the money. Worth keepin a look out on eBay

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online