A question.

FizzyPickles

Wammer
Feb 20, 2022
AKA
Lance
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Is anyone familiar enough with both to give me some idea of the different sound characteristics I might expect from them? Any major pros & cons, any speakers they each play particularly well or poorly with and why one might choose one over the other?

Strider

Show me your Fooses
Wammer Plus
Jan 16, 2006
Here and there
AKA
Mark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'll be brutally honest here, after my beloved Primare I30 bit the dust early this year I was amp searching and after reading relentless reviews I bought the CXA 81, I kept it for a month and I had to return it.
I found it to be powerful but lifeless, the bass was lighter than expected and it was rather 'shut in' meaning small image due to the rolled off treble and upper mid lack of energy, I think Cambridge Audio were aiming for a 'grown up' sound but unfortunately robbed the amp of get up and go.
I was gutted because it ticked every box I was after and had great reviews, build wise it was excellent and looked good too.
Both my son and Mrs commented that it "sounds flat", they like quite eclectic music as I but it wasn't for us.

I also had an Arcam SA 20 which was in a similar vein to the CX but had better frequency response.

I'm not one to knock kit because it depends on synergy especially speakers, if your speakers are 'bright' (B&W or MA) it might just be what you're looking for, try before you buy and see if Richer Sounds have one that they'll let you demo, they're really good people to deal with.

Reactions: FizzyPickles

jinj

Wammer
Mar 23, 2022
Oldhill west midlands
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'll be brutally honest here, after my beloved Primare I30 bit the dust early this year I was amp searching and after reading relentless reviews I bought the CXA 81, I kept it for a month and I had to return it.
I found it to be powerful but lifeless, the bass was lighter than expected and it was rather 'shut in' meaning small image due to the rolled off treble and upper mid lack of energy, I think Cambridge Audio were aiming for a 'grown up' sound but unfortunately robbed the amp of get up and go.
I was gutted because it ticked every box I was after and had great reviews, build wise it was excellent and looked good too.
Both my son and Mrs commented that it "sounds flat", they like quite eclectic music as I but it wasn't for us.

I also had an Arcam SA 20 which was in a similar vein to the CX but had better frequency response.

I'm not one to knock kit because it depends on synergy especially speakers, if your speakers are 'bright' (B&W or MA) it might just be what you're looking for, try before you buy and see if Richer Sounds have one that they'll let you demo, they're really good people to deal with.
What did you opt for and are you happy with it

FizzyPickles

Wammer
Feb 20, 2022
AKA
Lance
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Funny you say that, a friend of mine and big CA fan described the CXA 81 as 'laid back' and it's smaller cousin the CXA 61 as a bit more 'lively'.
I heard a Primare 125 last year, hooked up o some Sonus faber Lumina III's. It sounded exquisite but a little outside of my price range for now.
The Cyrus One range has also been mentioned to me as a good 1k all-rounder.
One of the reasons I considered the Cambridge amps is because I was led to believe that they would play fairly well with a whole range of different speakers. I have Monitor Audio Bronze 100's at the moment - I guess they could be considered 'bright', they're certainly detailed in the upper range.
What did you go for in the end?

Last edited:

FizzyPickles

Wammer
Feb 20, 2022
AKA
Lance
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Can’t speak for the 81, but I think the 851 is a decent amp and wouldn’t describe it as above. Again depends on your speakers….
How would you describe its sound profile?
I'm running Monitor Audio 100's at the moment which don't get the credit they deserve imo. Quite detailed, bit of bottom thump. I really want to move on to some Sonus Faber Lumina's but that wont be until next year.

Strider

Show me your Fooses
Wammer Plus
Jan 16, 2006
Here and there
AKA
Mark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
H
I listened to a few amps including a Hattor passive pre-amp and a Nord Class D, incredible power, detail and control, however I ended up with a Rega Elicit-R, not quite the heft of my previous Primare but it is so even across the board, detailed yet not harsh, good bass weight and lovely liquid midrange.
One thing that the Rega does so well is the way it conveys the ebb and flow of music and its What some refer to a 'fast' meaning it has that ability to keep your feet tapping.

The Primare painted huge masterpieces with broard brushstrokes and phenomenal slam where the Rega is more like a fine watercolour painted with delicat strokes but painted with bright vibrant colours.
The Rega works well with my ProAc's, Dali's, Monitor Audio S1s so it's not a one trick pony.
Downsides? It runs hot and it's also thirsty being Class A..

Last edited:

Strider

Show me your Fooses
Wammer Plus
Jan 16, 2006
Here and there
AKA
Mark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
How would you describe its sound profile?
I'm running Monitor Audio 100's at the moment which don't get the credit they deserve imo. Quite detailed, bit of bottom thump. I really want to move on to some Sonus Faber Lumina's but that wont be until next year.
I've a pair of Monitor Audio S1 Silver, superb speakers that are detailed but not at all harsh, they are pretty even across the board amd have surprisingly deep bass, great for rock and jazz.

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
H
I listened to a few amps including a Hattor passive pre-amp and a Nord Class D, incredible power, detail and control, however I ended up with a Rega Elicit-R, not quite the heft of my previous Primare but it is so even across the board, detailed yet not harsh, good bass weight and lovely liquid midrange.
One thing that the Rega does so well is the way it conveys the ebb and flow of music and its What some refer to a 'fast' meaning it has that ability to keep your feet tapping.

The Primare painted huge masterpieces with broard brushstrokes and phenomenal slam where the Rega is more like a fine watercolour painted with delicat strokes but painted with bright vibrant colours.
The Rega works well with my ProAc's, Dali's, Monitor Audio S1s so it's not a one trick pony.
Downsides? It runs hot and it's also thirsty being Class A..
The Rega is a class A/B but the transistors do get quite hot.

Strider

Show me your Fooses
Wammer Plus
Jan 16, 2006
Here and there
AKA
Mark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Rega is a class A/B but the transistors do get quite hot.
From the horses mouth:

"The output amplifier used in the Elicit-R and Brio-R was born after extensive research by our engineers to develop a low source impedance emitter follower Class-A driver stage. This is based around a complementary pair of 150w Sanken Darlington output transistors."

And like you said it does run pretty hot!

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
From the horses mouth:

"The output amplifier used in the Elicit-R and Brio-R was born after extensive research by our engineers to develop a low source impedance emitter follower Class-A driver stage. This is based around a complementary pair of 150w Sanken Darlington output transistors."

And like you said it does run pretty hot!
Yes, driver stages but the design is A/B but it’s a very good amplifier.
I borrowed one a few years back. Impressive.

Strider

Show me your Fooses
Wammer Plus
Jan 16, 2006
Here and there
AKA
Mark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes, driver stages but the design is A/B but it’s a very good amplifier.
I borrowed one a few years back. Impressive.
Bloody Rega can't make up their own minds! :ROFLMAO:
Thanks, it took me a few days to see what the fuss was about and I've found that it really does need to warm up before it comes on song, its not harsh or flat etc but after an hour or so the sound 'blossoms'.

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Bloody Rega can't make up their own minds! :ROFLMAO:
Thanks, it took me a few days to see what the fuss was about and I've found that it really does need to warm up before it comes on song, its not harsh or flat etc but after an hour or so the sound 'blossoms'.
Class A is often quoted on many amps but in the design principle it’s only the first 10w or so but a true class A like the Sugdens run REALLY hot 🥵
Many headphone amps run as class A or the amplifiers internal headphone amp.

FizzyPickles

Wammer
Feb 20, 2022
AKA
Lance
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
i think synergy is a very relevant thing but hard to pin down, also room interactions ,
I ended up buying a limited edition CXA61 in black and tbh, I'm more than happy with it.
It's sounds balanced in tone, detailed and rhythmical to my ears. It has enough inputs for my needs too. A good all-rounder for the money I would say - an easy listen.

Reactions: Strider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.