Wammer
Wammer
Nov 21, 2008
W Midlands
AKA
Rob
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I currently have a Michell Gyro with Rega arm sat on the kitchen table with a Transfiguration Axia tentatively positioned...

I've used the Rega Baerwald Arc Protractor (downloaded from Vinyl Engine and checked for size etc) to position the cart and I think I've got it lined up, but the stylus tip will not touch the all 3 contact points; C, C' and point on the alignment grid.

Is it a compromise? Do you aim to touch the centre point on the grid and hit either side of the C and C' marks?

Help!

divedeepdog

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2011
notts/derby
AKA
mark
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
move the cart forward or back till it hits all 3 points. Set on the the middle one, then see where it arcs.

Rega use Stevenson protractor, but there's not that much between them.

*check the 140mm AA' first:^

• Upvote
Reactions: hificricketboy

hificricketboy

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 21, 2008
W Midlands
AKA
Rob
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for the reply. I'll have a play.

It's currently missing the inner point by 2mm and the outer by 3-4mm and hitting the middle one. Guess that's not quite right...

hificricketboy

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 21, 2008
W Midlands
AKA
Rob
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
*check the 140mm AA' first:^
Just spotted that one...first time I printed it off it was on the wrong scale - printer auto "checking" and re-sizing. I re-printed it and it is correct.

It's a right faff this cart set-up lark! I remember why I went over to digital now.... :minikev:

struth

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 14, 2013
W Lothian
AKA
Grant
dont recall my aligner having 3 points....mind you it is old....geo disc I think its called

bandit pilot

Comfortably Numb
Staff member
Jul 19, 2007
North Nott's
AKA
Rick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You can download and print a good one for free Grant. I use the Stevenson and it works just fine.

struth

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 14, 2013
W Lothian
AKA
Grant
think i might have one of them too...came with the a cart adj set I bought from SRM tech....it is laminated...must be in my TT parts box me thinks....I always used the big plastic geo disc thingy....Is it not any use??

divedeepdog

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2011
notts/derby
AKA
mark
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Can't comment on the geo disc, not used one.

I never really bothered much, till I heard Rob's 1210, always sounded great and wanted to know why . I'd never heard any difference between Stevenson, or Baerwald till I got an Arkless stage :D

The protractors we're talking about are form Vinyl Engine.

Pussycat

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 9, 2008
Norwich
AKA
Mike
I've only ever used the SME one (supplied with the Five) and the N.A. one (supplied with my Ace Anna 12"). On both it was put the stylus onto the cross-hair or whatever and move the cart. or arm forward or back until the cart. sides align (are parallel ) with the markings. Surely these are the only two parameters to acquire correct overhang or am I missing something?

A

avole

Rega use Stevenson, so I've always stuck with that. You may find with Baerwald you can't move the cartridge forward enough. Never used a three point protractor.

hificricketboy

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 21, 2008
W Midlands
AKA
Rob
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Baerwald protractor is recommended on Vinyl Engine. Got the alignment sorted now, I think. Just got to sort out the Dino to take the low MC and I'll be fine :) .

pmac

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 19, 2005
Try Baerwald and Stevenson,

Then use the one that sounds the best.................

as long as you trust your ears :D

pmac

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 19, 2005
I've had half a bottle of wine so I'm leaving it alone till tomorrow. :^
Boo, hisssss

Get that woolly jumper on and go for it :rofl:

B

BD Audio

Johnnybaby is fairly local to you and a dab hand at cartridge setup.... :rofl:

hificricketboy

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 21, 2008
W Midlands
AKA
Rob
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've owned turntables for 20 odd years but never fitted a cart before :nup:

I used the local dealer for any servicing etc so never needed to learn how to do it.

I double checked the set up of the SBP which was set up by a dealer before I bought the Gyro. It appears to be miles out, only hitting one of the markers on the Baerwald.

Of course that could be me :roll:

hificricketboy

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 21, 2008
W Midlands
AKA
Rob
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Got the cart up and running today - looks like this (excuse the dust!!!)...

Not sure I've got it set up quite right yet, dynamics are good and imaging is OK left to right but could do more with depth. Any hints?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.