Cartridge Question

P

purplepleaser

Hi,

I am thinking of getting a TT in the near future. If I was to listen to say two albums a day how long would the needle/cartridge last.

May seem a silly question but just wondering

cheers

Lee:dunno:

Davewhityetagain

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
, ,
agree with above as long as your albums are in good nick and you keep them very clean

your stylus might last six months if you play dirty damaged albums the cleaner the better

also the cartridge if MM will last 20 years its the stylus you change or upgrade
wink.png

P

purplepleaser

Hi, thanks chaps. Just wondering because some cost a lot of money .I was thinking that you would only get 12 months or so out of them.

I would be getting second had records but would try and get a record cleaner aswell.

This vinyl thing blows my mind

Cheers

Lee:)

P.S plenty more silly TT question to come.

chezi61

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Fife , Scotland.
Lee , I've had TT for 19yr and have only had 2 cartridges but 3 stylus for Linn K9.

The Goldring I use now was £140 and to me sounds fine , I personally wouldn't spend mega bucks on a cartridge as I have wrecked a stylus , many moons ago , thru being a tad drunk.
wub.png
Cd's only when I'm on the drink.
wink.png

Kab EV 1 is a very good cleaner for just over £100 , use with your own hoover even makes spanking new vinyl sound better as it removes all the releasing agents used during pressing.

I'll post a link.
biggrin.png

http://www.kabusa.com/ev1.htm

chezi.

Hawk

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 25, 2005
Herts, United Kingdo
as others have said Lee, its all about how you look after it and your records.. Keep the vinyl nice and clean and you'll get years rather than months..

Hawk

P

purplepleaser

I always try toask first,but I do feel a bit of a:KH:with these simple questions.

Still a lot to learn.Thats whyI joined hereto sap your brains of your great knowledge and experience.

Lee

Hawk

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 25, 2005
Herts, United Kingdo
purplepleaser wrote:

I always try to ask first,but I do feel a bit of a:KH: with these simple questions.Still a lot to learn.Thats why I joined here to sap your brains of your great knowledge and experience.

Lee 

Dont think twice mate, you more than give it back in the music section
biggrin.png

PaulH

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 16, 2005
Shropshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The cleaner the vinyl, the longer your cartridge will last.

Unless you play Manowar albums...

party4.gif.af93715a971cd102256f35cade2c9c1e.gif

ClassikFan

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Surrey
AKA
Stuart
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The problem is knowing when to replace the stylus, as the gradual drop offin sound quality is dificult to register. A comparison with a new stylus under a microscope is a good method.

griffo104

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 30, 2005
Newport
AKA
Griffo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
purplepleaser wrote:

I always try toask first,but I do feel a bit of a:KH:with these simple questions.Still a lot to learn.Thats whyI joined hereto sap your brains of your great knowledge and experience.

Lee
Lee,

Don't worry about asking simple questions, especially with regards to TTs. I wish I had a forum to ask these questions when I first started.

A decent cart will last 4 to 5 years, as mentioned, as long as you take care with the vinyl. I also use a KAB EV1 cleaner and can highly recommend it, very cheap and although you need to order from the US it only takes a little over a week to arrive.

As well as this I highly recommend getting an Onzow Zerodust which is sticky goo stuff which will clean you stylus - much safer then using liquids and brushes, imo.

Also you don't have to spend a fortune on a cart, get a decent tt/arm and there are plenty of reasonably priced carts which will sound great. You can always upgrade the cart at a later date - especially as people like Goldring and Ortofon do trade in deals with theie carts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.