Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
uzzy wrote:

As for me I will never get the best out of cables as i have a junction box in the way to be able to switch the loudspeakers to the kitchen to keep her indoors happy.
Sounds to me like you should treat her-indoors to a nice little stand-alone Bose radio for the kitchen.
wink.png

Mind you, she might thenthink what a waste of money all your fancy kit is !! :lmao:

enbee23

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 22, 2005
North of Scotland,
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
uzzy wrote:

enbee23 wrote:
uzzy wrote:
enbee23 wrote:
Cynics, the lot of you.Surely a reputable and upstanding company like Chord wouldn't want to make so much money, so easily?

smile.png
yes they would, judging by the price of their amplifiers.

Don't get me wrong I love the looks the design, but for the life of me at the price they cost and for how they sound there just seems to be so much better value for money stuff out there.

If I want a lean sounding muscle amp then I would rather have a Krell but compared to amps like the Sugden Masterclass well to me they are not in the same league.

There that should get a few people shouting methinks :nerd:

Uzzy
Not all Krells sound the same, I defy anyone to say that mine is lean sounding.

Or maybe its just the SP9 fattening things up?

smile.png
Lean is perhaps the wrong word - they are clinical and analytical to my ears. It is not as cohesive for me as other amplifiers. I do not know if you have listened to a Sugden a21a but like Krell is pure class A but has a warmth and cohesiveness that the Krell doesn't to my ears. My view is their best amp was the KAS50 which was more to my liking.

The SP9 is in my system because of its excellent phono stage and it doesn't fatten things up but does have more of a valve sound. I have only ever auditioned Krell with Krell preamps so perhaps my judgement of the amps is unfair and they may be better to my ears with a different pre.

We all have our own ideas i guess on how things should sound I should also say that the SP9 was purchased to replace an Audionics B2 pre where the phono stage had packed up and could not be repaired (it was buried in potting compound). It was the one thatI liked best at that time. I have had it for over ten years now and so the two of us know each other very well.

Uzzy :nerd:
O/T:

Sorry, my post was a bit cryptic.

I use an SP9 myself, into an old KSA100. I agree that the first generation Krells were the sweetest sounding.
smile.png

I've heard the Sugden often and love it btw. With my speakers, the Krell works better though.

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
JANDL100 wrote:

uzzy wrote:
As for me I will never get the best out of cables as i have a junction box in the way to be able to switch the loudspeakers to the kitchen to keep her indoors happy.
Sounds to me like you should treat her-indoors to a nice little stand-alone Bose radio for the kitchen.
wink.png

Mind you, she might thenthink what a waste of money all your fancy kit is !! :lmao:
She told me we had to have the Impressions :eek:j:and it was then I knew why I married her she has learned that in the most part good looks and good sound do not go together when it comes to loudspeakers. Had to wait forever tho I wanted a pair of accoustat 4x about 26 years ago they are six feet tall and three feet wide and need siting away from the walls and she said no
cry_smile.gif.e6f167d6925baafe229b8957ba771316.gif

Wouldn't call any of my kit fancy tho
71_71.gif.3e6d891ee0cc25b2acfe143a79a91cc1.gif

Uzzy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles