Wammer
Wammer
Aug 22, 2015
Darlington, County Durham
AKA
Mick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Not through choice but I find myself needing to store some hifi gear in a container for a while. An amp, streamer and speakers (minus boxes). I have the original boxes for the amp and streamer. I also have some silica gel satchets too. Is it a case of sticking the component in a pillow case with a few satchets, then in original box and sealing all round with tape?

Any thoughts welcomed.

Last edited:

Jules_S

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Silica gel is a good idea. I'd be a little cautious about the pillow case if the storage location might be at risk of damp - if this is a metal storage container you're talking about? The cotton could end up getting damp too and going mouldy. Maybe unlikely, but it would be gutting to think you'd done the best to protect your kit and then find it was manky when you unboxed it.

Are there any of those Lock 'n' Store sort of places nearby you could use? They might be a better bet for environmental consistency. You can often get tiny little spaces a bit like a big safety deposit box that you might be able to fit your kit in. Bigger units can get expensive quickly so go for the smallest you can manage

Reactions: MickyP and lazycat

tonee73

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 4, 2017
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Last edited:

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Solent Plastics ones claim to be the only completely sealed ones available in the UK. They also state the cases are completely watertight unless submerged, and are airtight. Assuming you put stuff in them in a dry atmopsphere (not always a certainty) and check in some silica sachets, that's possibly the best bet.

Overall, mind you, I would always suggest the absolute ideal is to never store stuff anywhere cold and/or damp in the first place. There is always some moisture in the air, but as long as the temperature stays reasonable, it isn't a problem. Seal stuff in a box and then put it somewhere that gets close to or below freezing point, and there will be some condensation. There always is, and it can be an issue if stuff is left for too long.

If there really is no option, then one of the indoor storage unit type places may be the best bet. They're dry and not overly cold. As someone has already mentioned, the downside is that they're not cheap. If you need to store stuff for an extended period, it can get very costly overall.

Reactions: MickyP and tonee73

bigrod

Super Wammer .. Pussy 🐈 lover
Wammer
Mar 12, 2013
D H LAWRENCE TOWN
AKA
Julian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
For future reference

When we have delivery of pallets of empty cans there is a bag of moisture absorbing material on each pallet
I used these when storing equipment for long periods in my garage and also for filling speaker stands , and also inside speakers themselves

My loft is totally dry so I don’t need them anymore
If anyone wants some saving I can do so
Kindest regards Julian

Attachments

• 26CEE6A1-19D9-4B10-A2A0-C9F98B7A6136.jpeg
    26CEE6A1-19D9-4B10-A2A0-C9F98B7A6136.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 8

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66