WHICH AMP

CnoEvil

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Aug 7, 2018
Northern Ireland
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I haven't been on The Wam a lot recently, so missed your thread.

I would have also suggested Pathos - but you are sorted now.

I had this issue with Arcam/Linn remotes - and the Arcam (AVR600) had the option of choosing a different bandwidth (or whatever its called). It may be worth checking if this is an option with either piece of equipment.

Lovely Amp, BTW - Enjoy.

• Thanks
Reactions: Nativebon

Nativebon

MUZIC FIRST
Wammer Plus
Aug 9, 2018
London UK
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I haven't been on The Wam a lot recently, so missed your thread.

I would have also suggested Pathos - but you are sorted now.

I had this issue with Arcam/Linn remotes - and the Arcam (AVR600) had the option of choosing a different bandwidth (or whatever its called). It may be worth checking if this is an option with either piece of equipment.

Lovely Amp, BTW - Enjoy.
Thanks Cno I'll ring up tomorrow to check with manufacturers of both items. Loving the amp, really getting my speakers singing on a totally new level.

hearhere

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 9, 2013
Portsmouth, UK
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Another vote for Hegel… and also class D.
I'm 95% sure the Hegel is not Class D. I still have the H390 on my list of possible units to replace part of my Class D-based all-in-one with an all-in-two of even better quality.

tackleberry

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 28, 2010
Leeds..ish
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I’ve ended up with all four components

Sound bar amp (851a)
Streamer. (851n)
ATC pre.
Marantz cd7

All remotes run all components!!! I have to use a candle in front of me to strategically block the signal😡😡😡

• Haha
Reactions: Strider

Jezzer

Unspecified Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jul 31, 2005
Uxbridge
AKA
Jezzer
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm 95% sure the Hegel is not Class D. I still have the H390 on my list of possible units to replace part of my Class D-based all-in-one with an all-in-two of even better quality.

Sorry, I meant a vote for the Hegel (which definitely isn’t class D) but also not to rule out Class D amps.

hearhere

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 9, 2013
Portsmouth, UK
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sorry, I meant a vote for the Hegel (which definitely isn’t class D) but also not to rule out Class D amps.
Certainly Class D should not be ruled out.

I home tested 12 amps a while back and one of the Class D won the day, despite being half the price of some others. Class D must not be pre-judged based on tittle-tattle or experience from ones designed 10 or 20 years ago. Like digital cameras 30 years ago and probably electric cars now, Class D technoplogy has pretty much overtaken its conventional rivals and can now match or better most Class A or AB amps. Do we still use a film camera? I thought not - in short time, Class D will be recognised as the obvious choice as it will sound better, cost less to buy and be much kinder on your fuel bill!

I'll soon be putting the H390 up against my Purifi-based NAD M33 and I'm expecting a very close match.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jezzer

Steveh

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 3, 2007
Darkest Yorkshire
AKA
tallow vendor
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
https://audiofi.net/2013/07/chord-electronics-enter-the-perfect-class-d-amp/

An interesting article on class D amps from John Franks(Chord Electronics) perspective. After I had read it I contacted Chord to ask whether this amp had ever been introduced. The reply?
"
Dear Sir, thanks for your email.
No such product has been introduced but that's not to say it never will.
All the best

Ed / Customer Support

I believe that "Ed" is none other than Ed Selley who has published reviews in various HiFi magazines historically and currently.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jezzer

Nativebon

MUZIC FIRST
Wammer Plus
Aug 9, 2018
London UK
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for all the recommendations really appreciate. I ended up getting a second hand Audia Flight three S amp. Really happy with the sound.

May be time for some fuses?.. :whistle:

Reactions: garn63 and DomT

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Another vote for Hegel… and also class D. I would imagine a used Luxman would partner well both in terms of sound and aesthetics. I used to have a Unico amp (and cd player) and can recall the expansive and smooth sound. Not the cleanest to my mind, but no bloat either.
I thought Hegel were A/B class?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.