Space Explorer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Vancouver
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It’s now been a year since DavidHB visited the forum, and eighteen months since he last posted. Is there anyone here who could give him a call to see how he is? Maybe @Paulssurround - I recall you used to chat with him on the ‘phone from time to time…

Mick
Thanks Mick

I’ll try to give him a call this morning

Reactions: MickC

Paulssurround

Space Explorer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Vancouver
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It’s now been a year since DavidHB visited the forum, and eighteen months since he last posted. Is there anyone here who could give him a call to see how he is? Maybe @Paulssurround - I recall you used to chat with him on the ‘phone from time to time…

Mick
Hi Mick,

Thank you for the encouragement to phone DavidHB

I just spoke with David for the last 45 minutes, and he is alive and well. Always a fascinating conversation with him.

I hope he pops by on the forum and says hello

MickC

Expert Thread Disruptor
Wammer
Oct 8, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi Mick,

Thank you for the encouragement to phone DavidHB

I just spoke with David for the last 45 minutes, and he is alive and well. Always a fascinating conversation with him.

I hope he pops by on the forum and says hello
That's a relief - thank you for doing so and updating us, Paul.

Mick

Reactions: Nopiano

DavidHB

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Isle of Wight, UK
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well, the prodigal returns, sort of. I've been gone so long that I had to join the Linn club before I could post this. Like being sent back to school and finding yourself in kindergarten.

Warm thanks to Paul, Mick and everyone who wished me well, and apologies for repaying so much kindness with silence. Given that there are now four doses of vaccine between me and the COVID bout which started the silence, I do hope that is all in the past (though we had a salutary reminder when my granddaughter tested positive this weekend - our Island has become something of a hot spot lately).

As to the real business of the forum, I have a happy nothing to report. My systems are in daily use, and (touch wood) doing just fine. I have picked up on Organik and, to a lesser extent, the new LP12 components, but I feel disinclined to send that kind of money when I am enjoying what I have so much. During my as always enjoyable discussion with Paul yesterday he did say that, in an Exakt system, I would possibly see more improvement by replacing the Hub rather than the Exaktbox; obviously I don't know whether that view is shared by others. Certainly, my KEDSM would be logistically easier to replace than my AEBox, but, even to do that, I'd have to lay out more money than it cost me to go Exakt in the first place. So my instinct is to sit out the current technology round, and wait for Organik to trickle down the Linn Range. Organik in a Majik DSM 5 (or 6)? One can dream, I suppose ...

David

Moomintroll

Fictional Character - not to be taken literally
Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Welcome back @DavidHB , it’s great to hear that you’ve recovered.

’troll

DavidHB

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Isle of Wight, UK
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Welcome back @DavidHB , it’s great to hear that you’ve recovered.

’troll
Thanks, Moomin. In the end, recovery was not the issue. Having something to say proved to be more of a problem. As the NCO instructor used to say about his job:

"Yer tells'em what yer goin' to say. Then yer sez it. Then yer tells 'em what yer said. Then yer stop."

I'd got to the "stop" bit

David

Paulssurround

Space Explorer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Vancouver
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well, the prodigal returns, sort of. I've been gone so long that I had to join the Linn club before I could post this. Like being sent back to school and finding yourself in kindergarten.

Warm thanks to Paul, Mick and everyone who wished me well, and apologies for repaying so much kindness with silence. Given that there are now four doses of vaccine between me and the COVID bout which started the silence, I do hope that is all in the past (though we had a salutary reminder when my granddaughter tested positive this weekend - our Island has become something of a hot spot lately).

As to the real business of the forum, I have a happy nothing to report. My systems are in daily use, and (touch wood) doing just fine. I have picked up on Organik and, to a lesser extent, the new LP12 components, but I feel disinclined to send that kind of money when I am enjoying what I have so much. During my as always enjoyable discussion with Paul yesterday he did say that, in an Exakt system, I would possibly see more improvement by replacing the Hub rather than the Exaktbox; obviously I don't know whether that view is shared by others. Certainly, my KEDSM would be logistically easier to replace than my AEBox, but, even to do that, I'd have to lay out more money than it cost me to go Exakt in the first place. So my instinct is to sit out the current technology round, and wait for Organik to trickle down the Linn Range. Organik in a Majik DSM 5 (or 6)? One can dream, I suppose ...

David
Welcome back David

As always, great to talk with you yesterday, and very happy to hear that you are happy and healthy.

Given that you have Akurate Exaktboxes, and there is no Organik upgrade for them at the moment, if you have the urge to upgrade, a new Next Generation Klimax Hub would be a significant upgrade

Linn has also introduced a number of upgrades for the LP12, such as the Karousel bearing, which I am not sure if you have yet? There are also a number of recently released LP12 improvements, such as the Radikal 2, and upgrades including new arms and cartridges.

Nestor Turton

Nestor Turton
Wammer
Jan 30, 2019
Nowhere in Particular
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

David
Good to have you back. Your sensible approach has definitely been missed - when I listen to my system, it sounds great and I feel delighted, happy and lucky to have it - so why do I feel an urge to go Organik?

Keep safe - it'll be great when everyone, everywhere has the vaccine and coronavirus becomes history. I hope your granddaughter has no ill effects and tests negative as soon as possible.

Nestor

DavidHB

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Isle of Wight, UK
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Good to have you back. Your sensible approach has definitely been missed - when I listen to my system, it sounds great and I feel delighted, happy and lucky to have it - so why do I feel an urge to go Organik?

Keep safe - it'll be great when everyone, everywhere has the vaccine and coronavirus becomes history. I hope your granddaughter has no ill effects and tests negative as soon as possible.

Nestor
Thanks, Nestor. Ironically, my grandson has now come down with COVID, just as his sister recovers enough to return to school. The timing could hardly be worse, as it is his fifth birthday today.

Your urge to go Organik is completely understandable. It's a "because it's there" thing. However, your personal cost/benefit analysis may point you in another direction ...

David

Reactions: Nestor Turton

DavidHB

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Isle of Wight, UK
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Welcome back David

As always, great to talk with you yesterday, and very happy to hear that you are happy and healthy.

Given that you have Akurate Exaktboxes, and there is no Organik upgrade for them at the moment, if you have the urge to upgrade, a new Next Generation Klimax Hub would be a significant upgrade

Linn has also introduced a number of upgrades for the LP12, such as the Karousel bearing, which I am not sure if you have yet? There are also a number of recently released LP12 improvements, such as the Radikal 2, and upgrades including new arms and cartridges.

Sorry to be replying, late, Paul. As you see from my message to Nestor, life is a tad "interesting" here just now, and I'm not referring to Boris Johnson.

I too enjoyed our talk. It is good that I can apparently pick up after my long absence from the forum without feeling completely left behind.

Would an NG Hub in place of my KEDSM make £15K (or whatever)'s worth of difference to my system? I have my doubts about that, though I won't have a clear idea unless and until I can do some listening, and that will not be until the Autumn.

As regards, the LP12, yes I do have a Karousel bearing, which to my mind is the essential upgrade. the rest of the line-up, is Radikal (v1 obviously), Keel, Ekos SE, Kandid and Urika II, all housed in a classic 1980s fluted Afromosia plinth. It continues to suit me nicely. Note to self: I need to digitise some more LPs.

David

Paulssurround

Space Explorer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Vancouver
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sorry to be replying, late, Paul. As you see from my message to Nestor, life is a tad "interesting" here just now, and I'm not referring to Boris Johnson.

I too enjoyed our talk. It is good that I can apparently pick up after my long absence from the forum without feeling completely left behind.

Would an NG Hub in place of my KEDSM make £15K (or whatever)'s worth of difference to my system? I have my doubts about that, though I won't have a clear idea unless and until I can do some listening, and that will not be until the Autumn.

As regards, the LP12, yes I do have a Karousel bearing, which to my mind is the essential upgrade. the rest of the line-up, is Radikal (v1 obviously), Keel, Ekos SE, Kandid and Urika II, all housed in a classic 1980s fluted Afromosia plinth. It continues to suit me nicely. Note to self: I need to digitise some more LPs.

David
Thank you David

Looks like you are all set for your LP12 with a great setup.

Definitely best to audition a new Klimax Hub in your system to hear if it is worth it to you.

Most people are selling or trading in their KEDSM while making the jump to the new Klimax Hub, so the financial outlay is minimized. I recall dealers had a generous trade-in incentive last year for the trade up.

Reactions: Chris 1970

ThomasOK

LP12 Whisperer, Lejonklou importer
Wammer
Oct 19, 2018
Westland, MI USA
AKA
Thomas O'Keefe
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I just now saw this thread as I don't venture outside the LP12 section all that often. David, sorry to hear you and your family have been hit with COVID but glad to hear you are recovered. Kudos on being someone who doesn't feel it necessary to talk just to hear his own voice.

Although COVID is supposed to be on the wane it seems to be hitting more people I know over the last year. Fredrik Lejonklou and his wife came down with it late last year and he was out of commission for over a month, his wife is still recovering but doing much better. Then I got news last weekend that one of my brothers tested positive, then the wife of another brother he visited over the 4th of July holiday, then the first brother's wife leaving the second brother the last of the four not to have symptoms yet. They have all been fully vaccinated and the symptoms are mild at this point so I'm just hoping for the best. Brother 1 thinks he picked it up going to see the Elvis movie. It is still out there! I'm going to get my second booster shot in a half hour. I'll be going to a spiritual convention in LA the middle of August with a lot of people so I want my immune system as strong as possible when I am there. Stay safe everyone!

Newton John

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 13, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

David

Congatulations on your recovery.

The NG Hub may not be as expensive an upgrade as you think. For me, it worked out at around half that after Linn discount and trade in of KDSM.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.