Linn Owners

Dealer visit, lack of bass, space optimisation, virtual tunedem, listening position

Ben Webster

System doesn‘t matter - if you have mine
Wammer
Dec 16, 2019
Frankfurt a.M. 🇩🇪
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
BEN, Pre-production/sale stuff normally has "Not For Sale" in big letters printed on label and sleeve, or something like "Promo" printed on it.
Not always. Sometimes only a stamp on the cover/sleeve. I‘ve also Demonstration records with a withe label and only a handwritten number.

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Here are Linn's instructions for setting up Space Optimisation:

To achieve the full potential of Space Optimisation you should:

1. Correctly identify the ideal locations for your speakers;

2. Accurately measure your room dimensions, including all room features, and input these into the Space Optimisation user interface;

3. Correctly set the environmental conditions of your room in the Space Optimisation user interface.

If you correctly follow these steps, Space Optimisation should provide an optimisation that will not need any further adjustment. This user guide should therefore be required for reference only.

Step 3 is easy. Just get a decent thermometer/hygrometer for about $20.

Step 2 can be straight forward depending on the room. If the room has features not covered by SO, accommodation must be made.

Step 1 has been a challenge for me. I previously used Wilson Audio's W.A.S.P. method, but have abandoned it as the results left room for improvement. With Akubariks, I'm finding that placing the speakers at a distance from the front wall between the recommendation from Linn of 20 to 30 cm is a good starting point. Mine are at 24 cm. The distance between speakers relative to the distance to the listener could be determined using the 83% rule pointed out elsewhere. This method has gotten my speakers seemingly close to their ideal location. From this point, use virtual tunedem to refine the ideal location. I moved the speakers forward virtually in 5 cm increments, then refining further to one centimeter increments. I finally settled on "speakers are in their ideal locations."

Again, finding the ideal location has been a challenge for me. I finally have some structure to guide me to a seemingly good result. Of course all this is open to improvement.

Reactions: Nopiano

Ben Webster

Wammer
Dec 16, 2019
Frankfurt a.M. 🇩🇪
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There is also the
2/7 - 3/7 - 2/7 - rule,
where 2/7 ist distance between speaker and the side wall and 3/7 the distance between the two speakers.

But that‘s only the starting point.

Listening is king.

Reactions: akamatsu

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There is also the
2/7 - 3/7 - 2/7 - rule,
where 2/7 ist distance between speaker and the side wall and 3/7 the distance between the two speakers.
Interesting. I was just standing here with my tape measure in my hand wondering what to do. I have been looking for guidance on distance from speakers to side walls as I may want to move my speakers further apart from each other. I'll do some measuring today. Thanks. :)

Reactions: Ben Webster

Moomintroll

Fictional Character - not to be taken literally
Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Interesting. I was just standing here with my tape measure in my hand wondering what to do. I have been looking for guidance on distance from speakers to side walls as I may want to move my speakers further apart from each other. I'll do some measuring today. Thanks. :)
If your room is symmetrical, try to avoid having the speakers the same distance from the side walls. Philbo did explain it once, but I can’t recall his explanation.

’troll

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If your room is symmetrical, try to avoid having the speakers the same distance from the side walls. Philbo did explain it once, but I can’t recall his explanation.

’troll
I really need for you to remember as it's been bugging me for a while. I'd love to know the reason. Mine are 85 and 86 cms from the side walls. I wonder if this is enough of a distance. My front wall has a fireplace perfectly centered, so the speakers at different distances from the side walls wouldn't be symmetrical with the fireplace. A one centimeter difference isn't visually noticeable.

Ben Webster

Wammer
Dec 16, 2019
Frankfurt a.M. 🇩🇪
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

’troll
It depends what your goal is.

If you want to reduce the influence of the room, a asymmetric position can be good.

For a balanced music reproduction the same distance to each side wall gives for me the best result.

But as mentioned above: listening! A few millimeters can make a huge difference.

Ben Webster

Wammer
Dec 16, 2019
Frankfurt a.M. 🇩🇪
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I really need for you to remember as it's been bugging me for a while. I'd love to know the reason. Mine are 85 and 86 cms from the side walls. I wonder if this is enough of a distance. My front wall has a fireplace perfectly centered, so the speakers at different distances from the side walls wouldn't be symmetrical with the fireplace. A one centimeter difference isn't visually noticeable.
What is the difference between your two spekaers?

To talk about the same thing, I alway measure from the middle of the speaker.

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So (without knowing your room, your furniture and your listening position) I recommend a distance to side wall around 120 cm as a starting point.
120 cm from the walls will place the speakers too close together. I'm going to have to widen the room. The demolition crew are on their way. This had better be worth it as it's snowing outside. 🥶

Ben Webster

Wammer
Dec 16, 2019
Frankfurt a.M. 🇩🇪
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
120 cm from the walls will place the speakers too close together. I'm going to have to widen the room. The demolition crew are on their way. This had better be worth it as it's snowing outside. 🥶
😂😂😂

But it‘s the 2/7-3/7-2/7. And a rule is a rule 😜

I‘ve seen a lot of systems where the distance between the speaker is to large. Narrowing brought an improvement.

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
😂😂😂

I‘ve seen a lot of systems where the distance between the speaker is to large. Narrowing brought an improvement.
I'm finding the 83% rule (not a rule) to be working quite well.

I do tend to follow the rules, but in this case, I will just have to be a rebel (without a clue). :)

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

’troll
I remember reading something along these lines literally decades ago. I’ve tended to stick with it, as it should avoid two identical ‘problems’ reinforcing each other, if placement is absolutely symmetrical.

Curiously, when we moved in 2016 I thought our bay window was central. But it’s actually quite a bit offset, so although this looks nominally centralised, it isn’t! (The difference is hidden by the curtains!)

6F8E0701-8D85-44A6-8AFC-6EFEF3398121.jpeg

Last edited:

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm finding the 83% rule (not a rule) to be working quite well.

I do tend to follow the rules, but in this case, I will just have to be a rebel (without a clue). :)
You’ve probably seen this before, but there are enough ‘rules’ in these selections to last a long while.

http://www.cardas.com/room_setup_main.php

I‘m of the view these days that if any speaker needs too much work to sound right, then it simply is suitable for the room. I found this out most recently when trying Martin Logan ESLs in my room about five years ago. They lasted just a week, but I’ve heard them sound great with more reflective surfaces than we have. Glad I had an understanding dealer!

fredbatch

Wammer
Nov 1, 2018
North Wales
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ultimately there is no single fixed rule because the radiation and reflection patterns will vary between different speaker designs, as will the reflection properties of the room.

I prefer to adopt the rule of side offset asymmetry which helps minimise unwanted early reflection reinforcement patterns. Increasing the side offset distances helps further by converting early reflections into later, ambience enhancing reflections (up to a point).

I have also found that to avoid compromising the distance between speakers I obtain improved performance by placing the speakers firing across the longer wall, which also generally gives better bass performance (at least before applying SO or any other DSP room correction).

Also, adjustments for preferred soundstage/ambience balance will vary. In a given room, ask 100 people to determine the initial ideal speaker placement and listening position and there will be nearly as many proffered solutions. One person’s “tune dem” solution is another’s “what the hell?”, as evidenced by incongruous answers, despite the mantra.

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
😂😂😂

Been thinking about what you wrote Ben. Given my room dimensions (the demolition crew never showed up, typical in this community) a compromise will have to be made. The 83% rule provides a nice stereo experience. The 2/7, 3/7, 2/7 rule provides for less room interaction with the music. I do recall us (you and me) agreeing on the notion that as the music signal got better, the effects of the room were less impactful. This continues to be my experience. With this in mind, I'll have to break the rule and stick with the 83% non-rule. :)

Reactions: Ben Webster

Ben Webster

Wammer
Dec 16, 2019
Frankfurt a.M. 🇩🇪
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Been thinking about what you wrote Ben. Given my room dimensions (the demolition crew never showed up, typical in this community) a compromise will have to be made. The 83% rule provides a nice stereo experience. The 2/7, 3/7, 2/7 rule provides for less room interaction with the music. I do recall us (you and me) agreeing on the notion that as the music signal got better, the effects of the room were less impactful. This continues to be my experience. With this in mind, I'll have to break the rule and stick with the 83% non-rule. :)

I combined these two „rules“ as a starting point and did some fine tuning with greats results.

But room acoustic is very complicated. Because of that most rules and also measuring with microphones do not work by there own.

Listening is the most important rule.

And when you‘re happy be happy 😃

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.