Linn Owners

"Feet" for LP12

eddiel

Wammer
New Wammer
Sep 27, 2009
London, , United Kin
Hey All

I have to raise my LP12 so I have 1.5' of clearance. The TV stand I have has feet that protrude out and the LP12 with the trampolin is too low.  

I was thinking of using the IsoAcoustic Orea series: https://isoacoustics.com/orea-series/ Either by resting the trampolin feet on top or placing the Orea so the base of the trampolin base sits on top directly.

Just wondering if anyone has used any other feet on their LP12 which might also work or if anyone has any thoughts about using the above just in case it makes anything worse isolation wise with the LP12. :)

TooManyCatweazles

Vinyl Junkie with a DSM
Wammer
Jan 16, 2019
Northern Germany
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Out of curiousity @eddiel, does your LP12 feature the Trampolin base, or the Solid base?

As the Trampolin feet are already "elastic" (I'm unsure, whether they have springs?), adding another elastic medium underneath appears not like a good idea to me.

According to the description, the Orea should not be placed under the feet, though. But as they are machined from steel, they appear in conflict with Linns light weight approach. I can only guess, as I've neither seen, nor heard these feet. But it's tempting to speculate, that they work best with devices, which like to be placed on a high mass support.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Upvote
Reactions: akamatsu

Moomintroll

Fictional Character - not to be taken literally
Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I wouldn’t place another suspension system under the Trampolin feet as they are already sprung and you don’t want to risk the deck failing off them. Linn chose the suspension rate of the Trampolin feet to avoid interference with the deck’s internal suspension. I would investigate suitable wooden blocks or pucks under the Trampolin feet. Ideally, secured so they can’t slide and wide enough so the deck can’t fall off one of them if disturbed. Or, probably far more secure, a short sub-table from one of the equipment rack manufacturers. Alternatively, have you considered another support arrangement for the TV?

BTW - I’m having difficulty in visualising how the TV stand and the turntable are positioned so the stand  is a problem without the deck being in front of the TV. Any chance of a photo?

’troll

eddiel

Wammer
New Wammer
Sep 27, 2009
London, , United Kin
The Isoacoustics messing with the Trampolin feet and how they were designed to work was one of my concerns, so your response is pretty much what I was worried about. :)

Rather than blocks under the feet, do you think I could just rest the bottom of the Trampolin on top of the IsoAcoustics directly, say right next to the feet? I figure this would avoid a clash with the current feet.  But I suppose, blocks or pucks would be much cheaper. 

I was worried about using suspension feet with the Trampolin feet

I had to rearrange my space and it resulted in my stereo and tv having to share the same stand. In order to make it work I had to replace the supplied stand with the following table top stand in order to get enough clearance for the turntable:

https://www.amazon.com/WALI-Universal-Stand-Screen-TVS001/dp/B01HE1IVNA/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=tv+feet&qid=1606172110&sr=8-3

I currently have a Mana acoustics platform which works well but unfortunately it is too high and therefore some of the tv is obscured from certain angles eg. laying down on the sofa angle :)

I wouldn't mind keeping the Mana platform in use but it's quite high. If I could get it to be lower then I would keep it but I can't :)

I did look at other supports but they actually lowered the the tv even further and it resulted in even more of the bottom of the tv being blocked. 

Moomintroll

Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
See what you mean about the TV stand.

You could bypass the Trampolin feet with the Isoacoustics, but I’ve no idea what the result would be. You’d have to try it, but my money’s on it not being an improvement. My first choice would be to raise the height of the surface that the LP12 is sitting on. Many people use a wall shelf board standing on Naim Fraim balls and cups, for instance.

’troll

DavidHB

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Isle of Wight, UK
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As the Trampolin feet are already "elastic" (I'm unsure, whether they have springs?)... 
The feet themselves are solid. In effect, the whole Trampolin base plate acts as a tuned spring suspension (the clue is in the name🙂). In those circumstances, adding yet more springing seems very likely to upset things, potentially quite seriously. I think Moomin has given the right advice. 

David 

Paulssurround

Space Explorer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Vancouver
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I used to have my TV on top of a dedicated HiFi cabinet that was engineered for audio equipment. I now have the TV wall mounted, which is a much better option.

‘One of my Linn dealers sells the Isoacoustic Oreas and keeps a stock of different sizes for sale. It is quite possible for me to borrow a set  and try them out at home, before I buy. Perhaps if you could borrow a set from your  HiFi dealer you could see if it makes an improvement.

A friend just bought a set of Isoacoustic Oreas to place under his Lingo 4, and he is extremely impressed with the result. As far as I know, he did not try the Oreas under his new Akurate level LP-12

For the last 6 months I have had a set of Isoacoustic Orea Bronze placed under the feet of my Akurate Hub, and believe it makes a satisfying improvement.

Moomintroll

Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I currently have a Mana acoustics platform which works well but unfortunately it is too high and therefore some of the tv is obscured from certain angles eg. laying down on the sofa angle :)
How about using the Mana platform, but standing the tv stand on something to raise its height in order to clear it?

’troll

Moomintroll

Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A friend just bought a set of Isoacoustic Oreas to place under his Lingo 4, and he is extremely impressed with the result.
You mean the black box which is the power supply?

’troll

eddiel

Wammer
New Wammer
Sep 27, 2009
London, , United Kin
How about using the Mana platform, but standing the tv stand on something to raise its height in order to clear it?

’troll
Won't work as the bottom part of the Mana platform just about clears the feet of the stand, which is good. However, the Mana has a second level which results in the t/t being too high.

That's the main problem really, the Mana platform is too high. This is similar to the one I have: 
IMG_4902-1.jpg

I did try to find a stand that would raise the level of the TV but the one I have is the highest I can use based on the model and size of the tv.

I have toyed with the idea of getting a block of wood to rest the t/t on but then cutting out some of the back part so it can then cover the feet of the tv stand but I'd have to get someone to do it for.

Paulssurround

Space Explorer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Vancouver
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You mean the black box which is the power supply?

’troll
Yes, a set of Isoacoustic Oreas under his Lingo 4

In his words, he was “staggered” to hear such a quantitative improvement.

He was not expecting there to be any difference, but the improvements in sound quality were significant. His LP-12 and Lingo both sit on his Quadraspire rack

John76

Wammer
Aug 14, 2020
USA
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Can you post a photo of the setup?  Might be helpful as I’m having difficulty understanding the issue based on what’s been explained.

Paulssurround

Space Explorer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Vancouver
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Can you post a photo of the setup?  Might be helpful as I’m having difficulty understanding the issue based on what’s been explained.
He is a member of the forum but has rarely posted. 

He bought a set of 4 Isoacoustic Oreas,  as in the picture, and placed them under the feet of the Lingo 4.

AB6217FD-950F-45E7-A282-D50019289E39.jpeg

DavidHB

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Isle of Wight, UK
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
He bought a set of 4 Isoacoustic Oreas,  as in the picture, and placed them under the feet of the Lingo 4.
The Lingo 4 is built into the LP12, with a separate power supply 'brick', so, unlike its predecessors, does not have any feet of its own. Were you referring to an earlier version of the Lingo than the 4?

David

Ady

Shoebox Ady. United by a love of music & equipment
Wammer Plus
Oct 13, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Without a picture I'm struggling to see what the exact issue is here but, why not mount the tv on the wall away from the lp12 if feasible?

Cheers Ady 

John76

Wammer
Aug 14, 2020
USA
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The LP12 sounds best on a low dedicated  light rigid support or mounted on a dedicated wall stand to a solid wall.  I’d get the tv off the same support as the LP12 and mount the tv to the wall at a height where the gear below it is not blocking the view of the tv.  I would not use Oreas with the LP12.

Paulssurround

Space Explorer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Vancouver
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Lingo 4 is built into the LP12, with a separate power supply 'brick', so, unlike its predecessors, does not have any feet of its own. Were you referring to an earlier version of the Lingo than the 4?

David
My bad. I have not seen his setup, because of the Covid restrictions, I will get further clarification from him.

I have not been in his home since he bought his new Akurate level LP-12 a few months ago, and purchased the Isoacoustic Oreas this past week.

Reactions: DavidHB

sktn77a

Audio Dinosaur
Wammer
Nov 11, 2014
NC, USA
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If it's only a few months old, it should have the Lingo 4.  They were introduced in early 2018.

• Upvote
Reactions: DavidHB

eddiel

Wammer
New Wammer
Sep 27, 2009
London, , United Kin
Out of curiousity @eddiel, does your LP12 feature the Trampolin base, or the Solid base?

As the Trampolin feet are already "elastic" (I'm unsure, whether they have springs?), adding another elastic medium underneath appears not like a good idea to me.

According to the description, the Orea should not be placed under the feet, though. But as they are machined from steel, they appear in conflict with Linns light weight approach. I can only guess, as I've neither seen, nor heard these feet. But it's tempting to speculate, that they work best with devices, which like to be placed on a high mass support.
It's the Trampolin base like this: https://www.linn.co.uk/sources/turntables/baseboards#trampolin

Perhaps I should've gone for the other one?? : )

There's a welders shop a short walk from my house. I might take my Mana rack in and see if he can build a similar version but one with out the extra glass shelf level (like the one I posted earlier). Perhaps if they can me one where i can make the lower part the top shelf it will give me enough clearance up top.  

If not, I think perhaps the best option would be to get some sort of light platform that isn't too thick and add feet so I have the clearance I need. I could probably get it even lower if I bevelled the back part to accommodate the protruding feet from the stand.

Without a picture I'm struggling to see what the exact issue is here but, why not mount the tv on the wall away from the lp12 if feasible?

Cheers Ady 
The LP12 sounds best on a low dedicated  light rigid support or mounted on a dedicated wall stand to a solid wall.  I’d get the tv off the same support as the LP12 and mount the tv to the wall at a height where the gear below it is not blocking the view of the tv.  I would not use Oreas with the LP12.
Unfortunately wall mounting ins't an option and neither is moving the tv or t/t to a different rack. The room configuration and available wall space won't allow for it unless I rearrange things to the point where the room isn't good for any sort of practical day to day living. Short of space means my listening room has to function as my tv room and my living room so compromises need to be made. 

Thank you for all the advice so far. My main concern was whether the IsoAcoustics would be problematic and it sounds like they will be so I'll consider other solutions.

I might just start with putting some wood blocks underneath the Trampolin feet and see how it goes. Ultimately, it may be better to leave things as they are and just deal with the issue of the top of the t/t obscuring the bottom part of the picture at certain angles. 

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online