Linn Owners

What’s is the best order for LP12 upgrades?

Mr Kandid

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
May 29, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My reply happens to be for LSPC not you Mr Kandid. You are the troll !!
Do it in a PM then no need for you to troll
Throughout this whole thread you continually try to rubbish a dealer yet you say you had to ask questions after you already have a high end deck and dealer of your own so why don’t you ask your dealer the questions instead.
Your coming across very focussed on doing damage.
very poor show and others will see it too.

Sound Man

Wammer
Aug 7, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Mr Kandid , I have said all that I wanted to say so I will now STOP!
Let's have peace now. No more fighting with words. Thank you.

DebsE

Music lover
Wammer
Jan 18, 2020
Here 'n' there
AKA
Deborah
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Knowing Peter as I have for the last 11 years, he is the only person I would allow within 1000 miles of my LP12. He has always been courteous and helpful - whether with advice or parts upgrades.

I do not believe for a second what this 'Sound Man' is claiming. It is an obvious troll who can reside in my Iggy Bin with the other idiots.

Last edited:

vicdiaz

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 11, 2010
Trujillo Alto, PR
AKA
Victor Diaz
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
But the Mk1s can be upgraded to Mk2s.

Not all of them. Linn has restricted the serial numbers for Ekos 1 which can be repaired/upgraded. Happened to me a few months ago with a customer's Ekos 1 which had to be sent to Audio Origami for repair.

ThomasOK

LP12 Whisperer, Lejonklou importer
Wammer
Oct 19, 2018
Westland, MI USA
AKA
Thomas O'Keefe
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Not all of them. Linn has restricted the serial numbers for Ekos 1 which can be repaired/upgraded. Happened to me a few months ago with a customer's Ekos 1 which had to be sent to Audio Origami for repair.
Linn is no longer upgrading any Ekos 1 to Ekos 2. That ended with the replacement of the Ekos 2 with the Ekos SE. They will still repair Ekos but only units over serial number 9000.

sktn77a

Audio Dinosaur
Wammer
Nov 11, 2014
NC, USA
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
They will still repair Ekos but only units over serial number 9000.
That's interesting as SN9000+ is pretty much at the end of the Ekos 2 production. Was there a change in the product at this time to explain this decision?

John76

Wammer
Aug 14, 2020
USA
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Another thought is the Mober sub chassis a viable alternative to the Kore? Is it of the same standard and are there any issues with the Karousel?
I would not want to setup the suspension with a Mober. It does not allow enough space around the upper grommet to turn the grommet and spring.

• Upvote
Reactions: ThomasOK

sktn77a

Audio Dinosaur
Wammer
Nov 11, 2014
NC, USA
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I would not want to setup the suspension with a Mober. It does not allow enough space around the upper grommet to turn the grommet and spring.
It's a little more difficult with the Mober for the reason you state but certainly can be done.

ThomasOK

LP12 Whisperer, Lejonklou importer
Wammer
Oct 19, 2018
Westland, MI USA
AKA
Thomas O'Keefe
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
It's a little more difficult with the Mober for the reason you state but certainly can be done.
One person's a little more difficult is another's royal pain in the a... I have worked on one and am not a fan of trying to get the suspension adjusted properly.

John76

Wammer
Aug 14, 2020
USA
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
One person's a little more difficult is another's royal pain in the a... I have worked on one and am not a fan of trying to get the suspension adjusted properly.
Nobody who has any experience working on an LP12 would design a subchassis in that manner.

• Upvote
Reactions: ThomasOK

Ron.P

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 28, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm not the first to make this comparison, but I view the LP-12 as I do the Porsche 911.
Brilliant if not perfect in it's original design, but relentlessly and continually improved upon over it's life. I admire both products/companies for that.
And many 911 owners most often found that modifying their cars with aftermarket parts led to a reduction in net performance, much I suspect, like the LP-12.

airV

Wammer
May 16, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If you get the Lingo 4, the next upgrade in the hierarchy would be the Radikal II.
The Radikal power supply is a big improvement over a Lingo 4. Everybody I know who has done that comparison agrees with it.
I just bought my LP12 : Majik Krane MC + Trampolin + Lingo4

So it's normally a bit early to think about future upgrades. But I'm thinking about it because it's fun.

According to well-established recommendation, the best order is: bearing, power supply, sub chassis, arm, cart

In my case what would be the best upgrade?
- install Kore or Keel
- Replace Lingo4 with Radikal

Mr Kandid

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
May 29, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I just bought my LP12 : Majik Krane MC + Trampolin + Lingo4

So it's normally a bit early to think about future upgrades. But I'm thinking about it because it's fun.

According to well-established recommendation, the best order is: bearing, power supply, sub chassis, arm, cart

In my case what would be the best upgrade?
- install Kore or Keel
- Replace Lingo4 with Radikal
Assuming it already has a Karousel then Radikal next.
Biggest bang for buck would then be Kore depending on how far you want to go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.