Fujifilm X-Pro 2 vs Sony Alpha 7ii Notes

HectorHughMunro

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 29, 2006
London, , United Kin
I had a long go with a Sony today and, because of the current price of the Sony at around £1k (hundreds cheaper than the Fuji) thought I'd write the following notes.

I used the Fuji with the 35mm f1.4 and the Sony with the Zeiss 35mm F2.8.  No, not quite equivalent.

1) I thought the Sony was faster.  It seemed to hunt less.  The Fuji has more focus points and it is possible that the face detection works better.  It would be interesting to have made the comparison using one of the Fuji F2 lenses.

2) Image quality was broadly similar with the Sony producing more colour noise but with the suspicion that the Fuji was doing something in the software.

3) Low light is within a hairsbreadth of each other.  There seemed to be little full frame advantage.

4) The Shutter is a little loud but not close to being as bad as the reviews.  It is a deeper noise than the Fuji.

5) The buffer is good for both cameras, despite the Sony's age.

6) Colours were better on the Fuji in my purely subjective opinion but close.  The Sony was the more saturated, Fuji subtler.

7)  The viewfinder was larger on the Sony.  I didn’t come to any opinion as to which was better.

8) The ergonomics were better on the Fuji, as you would expect.

If I were buying today, I might well go for the Sony, particularly at the current price which is so much cheaper than the Fuji.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gromit

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 17, 2006
Yellowbellyshire
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for posting this up, Tim. :^

Whilst I have owned a Pro2, the A7ii is a camera which is on some kind of personal radar, even if it is at a long distance. After what you've said, I'm tempted to pop into LCE and have a play with one.

HectorHughMunro

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 29, 2006
London, , United Kin
I thought the star of the session was the Zeiss 35mm f/2.8. 

I’m irrationally attached to the Fuji so won’t be selling it.  It has made me think about the 35mm f/2 to see if that gets me a bit more speed.  

Bolts

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 10, 2013
Kingston Surrey
AKA
Ben
Interesting Tim. I just can't go for Sony because of ergonomics and, IMO, the infuriating menu system. I think you'll find the 35 f/2 pretty snappy - I thought it was a lovely little lens for very little money.

Bolts

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 10, 2013
Kingston Surrey
AKA
Ben
Loses a bit of the soul of the f/1.4 though? 

The one Fuji lens I sorely miss is the 56, had a little magic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.