Has Kraftwerk run out of ideas (long long ramble)

Testure

Clean gloves hide dirty hands
Wammer Plus
Jul 21, 2005
West London/ Watford
AKA
Testy
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Let me give you my thoughts imho why I think they still may surprise us:

As stated until the release of Tour de France soundtracks in 2003 and excluding the mix of 1992, there had been a gap of 17 years since Kraftwerks last real album Electric Café. So by the time Tour de France soundtracks was released, many people never thought there would be a new album, and the expectations had been so high, that when one came (yes based on the concept of the original single from 1983, so note a completely new concept) it was no surprise that a lot of people where disappointed, even me initially. For me the new Tour de France was different but never quite the same as the original, but Vitamin and Electro Cardiogram, showed they still had it in them.

I think Kraftwerk themselves (Ralf and Florian) are their biggest enemy and caused the long period of silence to happen. Electric café, even though a good album didn’t get the acclaim they were used to, compared to there previous albums. Also there sound wasn’t so unique anymore, compared to Computerworld of 1980, so the drive for Ralf and Florian seemed to have gone by the late 80’s. This led to Karl Bartos and Wolfgang Flur leaving later on as nothing seemed to be happening, so they let there creative juices loose in there individual bands Electric music and Yamo respectively.

A combination of obsession with updating Kling Klang to be a full digital studio, and maybe thoughts of being seen as past it, may have prevented new releases in the late 80’s and 90’s. The mix was a welcome surprise, but as mentioned is just a best of album with a bit of modern polish rather than new material. However I think that is one of there skills that they have been able to modernise their songs for each decade. In many interviews Ralf and Florian, have always expressed there love for dance music and clubs, and that is one of the reasons they have been able to successfully apply club influences to some of there classic tracks. But apart from the tour to concide with the mix album and the 2 singles it spawned, everything became silent again.

That is, until the late 1990’s when they began to pop-up unexpected at one off gigs, like Glastonburry. Then they were commissioned to do the3 sec jingle for EXPO 2000, which evolved into the single, then rumours started to spread of a new album.

Since the release of TDF Soundtracks they have suddenly become a lot more active and there World tour of 2004 – 2005 has been a great success(yep shame there was no brand new material). Also with them being back to a quartet, some new blood has circulated the Kraftwerk machine, in the last couple of years, which with there continued popularity can do no harm for Kraftwerk to have a revival period and show how creative they can be again. Hopefully with the eminent release of there back catalogue personally remastered by themselves, will mark the start of their renaissance and a spurt of new material.

Finished, I’m off to bed.

P.S this is what happens when I’m aware at a client site for 4 days staying at a ‘Hotel’ with no telephone connection in the room . Can’t connect to the forum so right this drivel instead!!
tongue.png

mikedefacto

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 1, 2005
Liverpool
AKA
Mike
Someone mentioned in the other thread that the reason someone might think that Kraftwerk have run out of ideas is that "the rest of music has caught up with them" which I think is true. TDFS whilst might be less adventurous than most of the output from Carl Craig, Kenny Larkin and Robert Hood etc. it's still so obviously a Kraftwerk album... the sounds and the melodies couldn't really be anybody else, it's as if they have made electronic music theirs again.

Jezzer

Unspecified Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jul 31, 2005
Uxbridge
AKA
Jezzer
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Been listening to the Minimum-Maximumalbum quite a bitover the last couple of daysas a music-loving friend had borrowed if for quite a long time (as 'it rocked').

I'm listening to Trans Europe Express as I type this and I think it's magnificent.

The Japs singing along on 'Dentaku' make me smile.

yahoo.gif.427f12e83b189951e0b3a226f4b02209.gif

G

I have never really got them either, was a biggish discussion on ZG last year, and I realised i'd only really heard them the first time around, went out and bought Trans europe express, should have left it on the shelf really, not my cup of tea.

Jezzer

Unspecified Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jul 31, 2005
Uxbridge
AKA
Jezzer
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Miller-8 wrote:

Tran Europe Express is fantastic. It's the only one I have, which one should I get next?
Don't listen to the cloth-eared one and listen to me.

Get 'Minimum-Maxium' which is a 2 cd set. Like a 'greatest hits' but with remixed versions of their hits and recorded at various venues around the world.

Look on the net for reviews for this album and there isn't a bad one to be found. At all.

cjr

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
UK
My advice to anyone getting into them is to get :

Minimum Maximum or Tour De France Soundtracks 2003 First, then work your way recordings from tunes you like on those compilations. Both of these albums are 10/10s for me. They highlight the best albums to sample. I like Man Machine myself & Radioactivity. But all their albums have great moments.

They are electronic gods IMHO.Coldplay were recently on Jools Holland, and guess the clip they showed as a major influence to them : Kraftwerk, every electronic band or remixer I like has called them the pioneers ie Andy Weatherall, Orbital, Sasha, Justin Robertson. Even MAW rate them as founders of modern electronic music.

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just got Minimum Maximum.. To all those that reccomended it.. thanks a fucking bunch.
angry_smile.gif.8c0f636dd68eb7da5c2577e161ee9e27.gif

What a waste of £8.99, now where did I put my Orbital CD's?... ahhh much better

Jezzer

Unspecified Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jul 31, 2005
Uxbridge
AKA
Jezzer
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
hifiwigwam wrote:

Just got Minimum Maximum.. To all those that reccomended it.. thanks a fucking bunch.
There's no accounting for taste is there?

Testure

Wammer Plus
Jul 21, 2005
West London/ Watford
AKA
Testy
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
hifiwigwam wrote:

What didn't you like about it James? Hope not everthing .......
71_71.gif.90e48c720ca56a2d2fa0532dd3380cc7.gif

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Testure wrote:

hifiwigwam wrote:
Someone told me there was some new material on it... hhmm where. If it's those 5sec loops that fit inb between the oldies then Messers Hutter and Schneider want stringing up..

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Wowwww... Just got home and put it on the HIFI... Not the Sony tinnie crappollo at work..

Report back in an hour.

Testure

Wammer Plus
Jul 21, 2005
West London/ Watford
AKA
Testy
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
hifiwigwam wrote:

Testure wrote:
hifiwigwam wrote:
Someone told me there was some new material on it... hhmm where. If it's those 5sec loops that fit inb between the oldies then Messers Hutter and Schneider want stringing up..
Nope you have been mis-informed, but it's still a great album. recording quality is not bad either
wink.png

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
fwaucking heck.. I didn;t hear this album at work. It's sounding AWesome.. hahaha!

Never Judge music before you've HEARD it.. Those poor poor fools that don't ever HEAR anything. I would have filed this CD away never to be heard again if my onlykit was a little "lifestyle" sony or similar. TDF as I write is such amazing recording. The rrom is full.. phhwaaor gonna sit back in the hot seat.,.,

Jezzer

Unspecified Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jul 31, 2005
Uxbridge
AKA
Jezzer
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ha! Ha! I've just listened to this album today. Had it on the ipod on the way to work this morning but thought I'd play it back on the hifi, propa.

Astounding recording. Real depth, slam and ambience.

yahoo.gif.427f12e83b189951e0b3a226f4b02209.gif

I think I prefer disc two.

Testure

Wammer Plus
Jul 21, 2005
West London/ Watford
AKA
Testy
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
mikedefacto wrote:

same tracks on both vinyl and cd I presume?
Yep, but there are 2 versions of the album available (both on CD & Vinyl, the English International Version, as found in England, and the German version. The main difference is that even though both versions have the same tracklisting, some of the classic tracks are sung in german instead of English, and these have been recorded at different venues compared to the English versions.

This is following the same principle as there earlier albums, where they recorded 2 versions, one sung in English and one in German.

mikedefacto

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 1, 2005
Liverpool
AKA
Mike
when I saw them ralf was singing some tracks in a mixture of german and english
smile.png

will get english version when i get round to it
smile.png

Forum statistics