Have most ticked their bucket list equipment yet, or are there still itches to scratch?

Iceman 16

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 31, 2010
Swansea
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Dear Santa..

1661236559252.png
52308940474_3e66197c18_z_d.jpg

Ceko

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2020
Zuid Holland, NL
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I still have a Dac itch to scratch. Right now the Topping DX3Pro is doing duty but it falls out of tune with the rest of my rig. It’s a delight to use though.

Amormusic

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 27, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I read this as are you content with your kit?

Weirdly, for me, I am... I have landed on what I do not see a need to change. I am super happy with my amp and speakers which pair beautifully and have a decent enough digital front end to run them with. I don't see a weak part, for me, in my room.

I now feel most limited by the room itself and in my current house and living room I struggle to see how I could make significant improvements without starting to play with sound treatment, which would create domestic tension so is not a route I wish to pursue.

I am (hopefully) very far away from kicking the bucket, so cannot say this will be my final bundle, but currently there is no desire for any wholesale changes atm. Very happy with my bundle indeed 👍

*Caveat, that at some point the 851N may be promoted to an Edge NQ if the price is right and the stars align 🤞.

Reactions: Ceko

lostwin

Tinker Bod
Wammer Plus
Nov 26, 2018
Folkestone, Kent
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I tend to get as much satisfaction from finding cheap tweaks and general tinkering as aspiring to different kit.

Having said that, similar to Montesquieu, I am awaiting news of the new Radford Revival amps with interest and more irrationally, whilst it would be a significant wrench to move on the Gyrodec, a Kuzma Reference has lodged itself into my deeply desired bucket list.

Carrington

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Oct 10, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I too have an itch to change my turntable. Ideally I'd like to reduce the number of boxes too but the financial pain all this would cause far outweighs the itching. There's been some rather tempting Nottingham Analogue decks in the classifieds recently plus a Townshend Rock mk3 that has been attracting my attention. Hmmm, if only I could find time to play some records, I might be able to justify it....

Reactions: eddie-baby

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have ticked off all my dream kit list bar one🤔

I have wanted a complete B&O system since seeing/hearing some whilst on a four month tour in Belfast in 1975. I had only seen pictures and read about their kit up to that point and in the flesh they just blew my tiny mind.

I can't remember what set up system or music I listened too but just loved the sound build quality and feel of it just everything about it really.

Been hankering after some ever since and recently buying some Beolab 8000 active speakers off Robbie010 has just confirmed the need for more😝

Ady

Shoebox Ady. United by a love of music & equipment
Wammer Plus
Oct 13, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have everything I want apart from one 'tiny' change, I would really rather have Klipsch La Scala AL5 than my Cornwall 4's but the price difference is way beyond me now 😔

Cheers Ady

Reactions: MVJ and Tony_J

Andy Stephenson

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Feb 8, 2022
North East England
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
but the price difference is way beyond me now 😔
My budget has led me to the sad conclusion that my current system will probably see me out.

Unless some absolute bargain that I actually want turns up second hand locally, what I have is what I'll listen to for the remainder of my life here. o_O

Happily, I really like it! :D

Andy

bigrod

Super Wammer .. Pussy 🐈 lover
Wammer
Mar 12, 2013
D H LAWRENCE TOWN
AKA
Julian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’ve had my end game system for a couple of years now but when my ART 9 Xl is ready for an upgrade it will be replaced by a Koetsu Urushi Tsugaru .. I’ve already saved for half of one .. The ART 9 Xl should last long enough for me to save for the other half

Tony_J

Gone fishin'
Staff member
Mar 4, 2013
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have everything I want apart from one 'tiny' change, I would really rather have Klipsch La Scala AL5 than my Cornwall 4's but the price difference is way beyond me now 😔

Cheers Ady
The Cornwalls aren't too shabby though! Sounded great at Stoke.

rdale

Wammer
Wammer Plus
May 21, 2009
Gran Canaria, Spain
AKA
Richard Dale
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’ve had my Gyrodek since 1983 and upgraded it along the way with Orbe platter and so on. If I wanted to upgrade it I would keep the SME V arm, and get something like a SME 15 or Avid Volvere. As you can no longer get SME decks without an arm, a new SME 15 is out. To make a worthwhile improvement with the AVID would be about 6000 euros, which is quite a lot when I’m fairly happy with the Gyrodek that is actually sounding better than ever after I put a Hana SL on it.

So what can an audiophile with more money than sense, and who is getting on a bit do for interesting turntable upgrades? I think I’m going to get a Thorens TD 1500 which comes with an Ortofon 2M Bronze in an interchangeable head shell for about 2000 euros. I can use it with my Puresound P10 which isn’t being used since I got my EAT e-Glo Petite. Then later, the arm on the Thorens looks like it should be a good match for one of the Ortofon SPU range, and I can get a suitable SUT for the P10.

So I’ll end up with two turntables in two different systems with very different sounds (Hana SL vs SPU) that I can mess around and swap between the systems. And I’ll spend about half as much as getting the ultimate upgrade for the Gyrodek/SME V. I don’t quite have a bucket list, but I’ve always wanted to try Garrard 301 or Thorens TD124 with massy arm, a cart like an SPU or Denon DL103. The Thorens TD 1500 seems a good way to get some of that.

Last edited:

martinpix

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 17, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I thought I was the only one who had a bucket list of hifi stuff LOL. i've owned everything on my list except for an Oracle Delphi vi turntable. I don't own most of it now as it was more about reaching for that next level which to be honest I could never afford and the sacrifices I made elsewhere to have them were simply not worth it. You have to have balance in things. I still like the Oracle but have all but given up on it as decided i'm not going to stick with vinyl anymore.

martinpix

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 17, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’ve had my Gyrodek since 1983 and upgraded it along the way with Orbe platter and so on. If I wanted to upgrade it I would keep the SME V arm, and get something like a SME 15 or Avid Volvere. As you can no longer get SME decks without an arm, a new SME 15 is out. To make a worthwhile improvement with the AVID would be about 6000 euros, which is quite a lot when I’m fairly happy with the Gyrodek that is actually sounding better than ever after I put a Hana SL on it.

So what can an audiophile with more money than sense, and who is getting on a bit do for interesting turntable upgrades? I think I’m going to get a Thorens TD 1500 which comes with an Ortofon 2M Bronze in an interchangeable head shell for about 2000 euros. I can use it with my Puresound P10 which isn’t being used since I got my EAT e-Glo Petite. Then later, the arm on the Thorens looks like it should be a good match for one of the Ortofon SPU range, and I can get a suitable SUT for the P10.

So I’ll end up with two turntables in two different systems with very different sounds (Hana SL vs SPU) that I can mess around and swap between the systems. And I’ll spend about half as much as getting the ultimate upgrade for the Gyrodek/SME V.
I have an as new SME 15 that I am selling it is listed on here, I also owned an Avid Acutus very nice looking turntable and well if not over engineered have to say it did not sound any better than the SME but looks wise it was very nice, the SME has better bass control because it is not as bouncy. Shame your not in the Uk but hope this helps you make up your mind, the new sme sounds no difference and in my view the power supply is pig ugly on the new one, but there are a few ex dem models about of the original so you may pick one up for a decent price, I have also owned an Orbe se and can tell you the difference in sound going upto the sme is probably greater than you would expect. The Michell sound wooly and muffled compared the bass is all over the place on the Michell compared to tight controlled and dynamic sound of the SME 15 I have to say the 309 tonearm does not do the 15 any justice it needs a iv or v to show what it can do.

Reactions: rdale

rdale

Wammer
Wammer Plus
May 21, 2009
Gran Canaria, Spain
AKA
Richard Dale
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have an as new SME 15 that I am selling it is listed on here, I also owned an Avid Acutus very nice looking turntable and well if not over engineered have to say it did not sound any better than the SME but looks wise it was very nice, the SME has better bass control because it is not as bouncy. Shame your not in the Uk but hope this helps you make up your mind, the new sme sounds no difference and in my view the power supply is pig ugly on the new one, but there are a few ex dem models about of the original so you may pick one up for a decent price, I have also owned an Orbe se and can tell you the difference in sound going upto the sme is probably greater than you would expect. The Michell sound wooly and muffled compared the bass is all over the place on the Michell compared to tight controlled and dynamic sound of the SME 15 I have to say the 309 tonearm does not do the 15 any justice it needs a iv or v to show what it can do.
Thanks for that. I did see your SME 15 listed and from what you say, and from what I’ve read elsewhere it would be a great upgrade over my Gyro it I could get it to Spain. Maybe after I’ve got the second deck with SPU, I still might get an upgrade like that, but for now I think the two decks option will be more fun.

Reactions: martinpix

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.