Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Out of interest Lawrence, why do you need 4 ?
A not unreasonable question 😂

One in system 1, one in system 2, one in headphone system and a 4th one I bought recently as it was the same model in system 2 but modded with a dale resistor based stepped attenuator and USB board upgraded to a later version. I haven't had a chance to compare in system 2 but I suspect one will go into the reserves collection in case of accidents as they are very hard to find.

An equally valid answer would be because I can 🤣

eddie-baby

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 28, 2009
Pembrokehsire
AKA
Eddie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A not unreasonable question 😂

One in system 1, one in system 2, one in headphone system and a 4th one I bought recently as it was the same model in system 2 but modded with a dale resistor based stepped attenuator and USB board upgraded to a later version. I haven't had a chance to compare in system 2 but I suspect one will go into the reserves collection in case of accidents as they are very hard to find.
I take it you like it then :D

Reactions: Lawrence001

m7rso

Hath Wammed
Wammer Plus
Aug 14, 2009
LIVERPOOL, U K.
AKA
Graham
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Got a pair of Beyerdynamic T1 Gen 2s (600 ohm like gen 1 but with a removable cable) on Monday. Different to the DT880s which I like but I'm not 100% sure about them yet. Some say they're better and more rounded than the HD800s which given their price is quite a good selling point.

One good thing, they sound perfectly listenable from my phone at nearly full volume, that's something the DT880s can't achieve!

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I must admit that my experience with T90 put me off higher end Beyerdynamic. Screech City. :eek:
I think the T1s are quite different, they dont have too much treble, it's just right when paired well. Still getting used to them with an OTL amp now. They might be a bit like my speakers. Ie they don't stand out much but anything you try afterwards sounds wrong.

Reactions: JANDL100

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think the T1s are quite different, they dont have too much treble, it's just right when paired well. Still getting used to them with an OTL amp now. They might be a bit like my speakers. Ie they don't stand out much but anything you try afterwards sounds wrong.
What Hifi review....
"The Gen.2s sound thin and bright, with a peaky response in the treble that grates with recordings that are anything less than immaculate."
:eek:

.... but then...
"We’re a patient bunch and decide a weekend’s worth of running-in is required before we make any serious judgement. It turns out the best part of a week is needed before the G2s show their true colours. We’re glad we waited."

;)

Reactions: Lawrence001

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
New arrivals today.

IMG_20230403_112938.jpg

KLH Ultimate One headphones.
Ever heard of these before? I hadn't.

I think they retail around £340, although available discounted.
I got these used at a good price. Crazily good reviews on these so I couldn't resist. :sneaky:

Very strange fit to my head to start with. I suspect the previous owner must be a Martian. Anyways, the metal bands that are the length adjustment are thin and flexible and clearly intended to be gently bent to form the correct angle for each head. They're like Sennheiser HD 600 in that respect. It's fine now - an impressive design to suit multiple sentient species.

Very comfortable.
The sumptuous soft leather earpads are, as is so common, not quite large enough. Larger than, for example, B&W P7, but just a tad more room would have been ideal. But they're fine.

Soundwise they are making an initial positive impression. Clear and nicely detailed, treble a little on the lean rather than the lush side of the fence. I usually apply a little eq to most headphones (a lot of eq in the case of AQ Nighthawk). I suspect that will work well with these, I don't think I'll want substantial changes.

Good so far. A headphone amp on the warmer side works best for me.

I like to have a choice of headphone readily to hand at each of my 3 listening locations, I can see these taking up residence at one of them.

Last edited:

bullinachinashop

Wammer
Wammer
May 11, 2022
Milton Keynes
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
New arrivals today.

IMG_20230403_112938.jpg

I got these used at a good price. Crazily good reviews on these so I couldn't resist. :sneaky:

Very strange fit to my head to start with. I suspect the previous owner must be a Martian. Anyways, the metal bands that are the length adjustment are thin and flexible and clearly intended to be gently bent to form the correct angle for each head. They're like Sennheiser HD 600 in that respect. It's fine now - an impressive design to suit multiple sentient species.

Very comfortable.
The sumptuous soft leather earpads are, as is so common, not quite large enough. Larger than, for example, B&W P7, but just a tad more room would have been ideal. But they're fine.

Soundwise they are making an initial positive impression. Clear and nicely detailed, treble a little on the lean rather than the lush side of the fence. I usually apply a little eq to most headphones (a lot of eq in the case of AQ Nighthawk). I suspect that will work well with these, I don't think I'll want substantial changes.

I like to have a choice of headphone readily to hand at each of my 3 listening locations, I can see these taking up residence at one of them.
They certainly look smart!!!

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I thought I'd have another crack at mid range Sennheiser headphones.

I didn't get on with HD 600, although I enjoyed some aspects of their performance. Reviews indicated HD 599 were a kind of milder variant of the 600 sound, so a pair arrived yesterday.

IMG_20230428_112558.jpg

A little feisty in the treble for me and a little light in the bass, but a touch of eq sorts that.

Yes, definitely the same family sound as the 600, clarity and speed, but more body, not so much in the way of obvious treble peaks, and significantly more open and spacious.
I'm getting on with them OK so far.

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
New arrivals today.

IMG_20230403_112938.jpg

Very comfortable.

Yeah I had a pair of those reduced from a dealer a couple of years ago. I liked them quite a lot and they sounded great with my phone but I decided I had too many and moved them on.

Reactions: JANDL100

Headcoat

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Feb 15, 2006
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Senn HD599 are an interesting beast. Been using them for TV for years. Just couldn't deal with the peak between 5-8 kHz for music. Some would love them, ultimately don't work for me despite something in there I really like.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.