Nov 4, 2012
Boston, Lincs
AKA
Allen
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi 

I am not sure if this will work and am asking advice before I try it out

I have 2 pairs of JBL L1 speakers rated at 8 ohms  and a Audio Innovations 500 amp that can use 4 / 8 / 16 ohm speakers 

Could I bi wire a pair of speakers on each 16 ohm output ? or will it do damage ?  :nerves: :shock:   :D

Parkandbike

Super Wammer
Wammer
May 29, 2007
Cambridge
AKA
Don
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Serge will provide the definitive reply, but I think if they are in series you should use 16ohm, or- if in parallel- 4ohm. 

Presumably the second pair will be in another room?

SergeAuckland

Certified Measurist
Wammer
May 6, 2008
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Not sure what you mean by 'bi-wire', but if you want to use the 'speakers as two separate pairs, say in different rooms, then I would put them in parallel and use the 4 ohm tap.

S.

Audio Al

Confirmed Super Numpty
Wammer
Nov 4, 2012
Boston, Lincs
AKA
Allen
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I want to use them  one on top of the other in  the same room powered from the 500 amp , 2 speakers on the left channel and 2 on the right channel , linking the 2  speakers using bi wired cables 

If I am explain myself , Not very good at the HiFuluting things 

SergeAuckland

Certified Measurist
Wammer
May 6, 2008
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I want to use them  one on top of the other in  the same room powered from the 500 amp , 2 speakers on the left channel and 2 on the right channel , linking the 2  speakers using bi wired cables 

If I am explain myself , Not very good at the HiFuluting things 
OK, understood. I would then put them in series and run them off the 16 ohm output as their bass units will be 'close-coupled' and so act as one. it will also make wiring easier as you just need one short cable between the two loudspeakers.

Why you'd want to do that, though, is unknown, as the lobing from the two tweeters will affect frequency response quite seriously.

S.

SergeAuckland

Certified Measurist
Wammer
May 6, 2008
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Use the top one upside down?
That's what I would do, tweeter to tweeter, if for some bizarre reason had to use two loudspeakers like that. Better than the other way round or just one on top of the other. 

One further possibility might be to use them back-to-back in a sort of pseudo omni arrangement, but I'm struggling to think of why use two pairs. If it's to increase loudness, the difference is only 3dB, so marginal. 

S.

Audio Al

Confirmed Super Numpty
Wammer
Nov 4, 2012
Boston, Lincs
AKA
Allen
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Its just a experiment by me , never done anything like that before , If they sound s-it it wont say in my system for long 

Will try it though " Just in case "  :D

Thanks for the imput , will report back when its done  :^

Last edited by a moderator:

SergeAuckland

Certified Measurist
Wammer
May 6, 2008
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Its just a experiment by me , never done anything like that before , If they sound s-it it wont say in my system for long 

Go for it! Experimentation, even if ultimately not an improvement is fun.

S.

SergeAuckland

Certified Measurist
Wammer
May 6, 2008
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just a thought. Would it be a good idea to isolate one speaker from the other?
I'd just put something resilient between them, to stop the top one rattling against the bottom one. Blu-tack can leave marks on veneer but felt, fabric or thin rubber sheet will be fine.

S.

awkwardbydesign

Perfect, apparently.
Wammer
Mar 5, 2012
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Gaffer tape them together.  Gaffer tape fixes everything!  Personally I would couple them tightly together if possible, but without scratching them.

Audio Al

Confirmed Super Numpty
Wammer
Nov 4, 2012
Boston, Lincs
AKA
Allen
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Gaffer tape will muller the cabinets all that glue  :|

I'd just put something resilient between them, to stop the top one rattling against the bottom one. Blu-tack can leave marks on veneer but felt, fabric or thin rubber sheet will be fine.

S.
I have a roll of blue rubber non slip matting , that should work 

Audio Al

Confirmed Super Numpty
Wammer
Nov 4, 2012
Boston, Lincs
AKA
Allen
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I can't compete with that Jerry as the L1's are small stand / bookshelf speakers , You win  B|

Andrei

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 28, 2013
Napier
AKA
Andrei
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

It does seem interesting Al, but ...  The chant begins 'we want pics ... we want pics...'

I seem to remember a report - was it at a Scalford? - of a long horizontal array of ESL 57s.  May it is even written up in one of the mags.

Audio Al

Confirmed Super Numpty
Wammer
Nov 4, 2012
Boston, Lincs
AKA
Allen
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You will get pics when I get them set up 

if any good I may bring them to Scalford ( maybe )

I missed the 57 demo  :|

Radioham

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 8, 2010
Peterborough.
AKA
Alan Ralph
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The array of ELS used additional delay lines between each speaker.Perhaps the exhibitor may give you exact details of how it was done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.