Help us name our new phonostage and win it.

TempleAudio

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2008
Sale, Cheshire
AKA
John Clayton
Just had a look at the Temple Audio website. Apparently the Bantam is a TA2024 amp, but the website claims the Bantam is a 15w amp. This is a bit misleading, since the TA2024 data sheet says it can only do 15w into a 4 ohms and with 10% TDH. Rated power is normally quoted into 8 ohms and 0.1% distortion, in which case the TA2024 is really a 6w amp. The name Bantam seems strangely appropriate - if you think you're getting a 15w amp it'll turn out to be a bit of a lightweight.Assuming the spec sheet for the phono contains no such potentially misleading info why no call it the Temple Audio Truth? (And why not amend your claims for the Bantam?)
Hi

If you do a bit of research you should see that Class T amplfiers of this specification are aways sold as a 15W amp (into 4 ohms). So the convention is different there.

I agree with you that it is showing the amps specifications in a good light. But If we started selling them as 10W amps, people would ask why ours have less power than the others. Potentially very confusing for the customer.

The funny thing is we have sold a couple of thousand of those little Bantam T-amps and the overwhelming response is shock and surprise at how much sound our tiny little amp produces.

We have a 60 day money back guranatee for those who arent satisfied. But it practically never gets used.

I think the layman has no idea what a generous amount of power 6-10 watts really is when used in a domestic environment with good quality speakers. But they do once they try our amps.

By the way our TA2024 amp is pretty much obsolete now.

Take a look at our Bantam Gold 25W model, its our evolution of the micro amp concept and has a much better specification and build quality.

I would describe the 'Gold' as by engineers for engineers. In fact Dyson has 2 Bantam Golds for their R&D acoustics team in Wiltshire. (Im afraid I dont know if they use them for develoment or for entertainment)

If you read the review in my sig they are comparing our Bantam Gold to a very popular class T amp. The reviewer clearly isnt too concerned with power. It is hard to tell the difference between 15 and 25W.

But the comparison on quality is really quite favorable.

OK back to names :)

TempleAudio

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2008
Sale, Cheshire
AKA
John Clayton
That Temple Audio are plagiarists of the highest order imo. Not only have they named their company after a Hindu place of worship but apparently I have it on good authority that other companies have been making something called "amplifiers" for quite some time now.
Hahaa..

Actually the area near where we make the amps used to be an old monestary.

The places around us have names to do with that sort of thing.

TempleAudio

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2008
Sale, Cheshire
AKA
John Clayton
No winners yet? thought we were finding out today? :)
Sorry for the delay.

We were all set on SuMMit but its already in use for an electrostatic speaker by Martin Logan.

We are going to pick a second option from the short list today.

irb

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 14, 2009
Southern Scotland
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If you do a bit of research you should see that Class T amplfiers of this specification are aways sold as a 15W amp (into 4 ohms). So the convention is different there.I agree with you that it is showing the amps specifications in a good light. But If we started selling them as 10W amps, people would ask why ours have less power than the others. Potentially very confusing for the customer.
Isn't that like saying: "Our competitors misrepresent their products, so it's OK for us to do it too"? :)

You're right that some sellers of T-amps, from Sonic Impact onwards, have been less than clear about power/load/distortion. But not all. If you look at the many eBay sellers, for example, most don't make these misleading claims. Most quote the measurement conditions alongside power rating.

Do you really want to be less trustworthy than the average eBay seller?

The thing that bugs me is that you don't quote the distortion figure anywhere - not on your website frontpage, not in the pdf brochure, not in the product manual. I don't accept the claim that your customers would wonder why your 2024 amp was less powerful than someone else's. The explanation is easy - and I'd have thought most customers would appreciate the honesty.

If specs don't matter, don't quote them. If you quote them, quote them honestly.

Anally retentive rant over.

irb

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 14, 2009
Southern Scotland
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
By the way our TA2024 amp is pretty much obsolete now. Take a look at our Bantam Gold 25W model, its our evolution of the micro amp concept and has a much better specification and build quality.
Sorry, rant not quite over. The chip used in the Bantam Gold is rated at 24w into a 4 ohm load with 10% THD+N. Into an 8 ohm load and for 0.1 % THD, you get about 10w.

There, that's me finished.

irb

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 14, 2009
Southern Scotland
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Leaving everything else aside, I still think Temple Truth is pretty good. I may have shot myself in the foot, though. :whistle:

Gforce

So long, and thanks for all the Fish
Wammer Plus
Feb 3, 2011
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
yeah, i can't see you winning this one :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66