HFC music poll

G

Number 1 test disc as voted for by the general magazine buying public

Jeff Buckley : Grace

i rest my case m'lord:rockin:

grace.jpg

E

earl of sodbury

Astonished it's not Dire Straits - though very much hogging the same section of road...
kaffeetrinker_2.gif.ba76878d555418d609a6f9e8389072ea.gif

E

earl of sodbury

Duvet wrote:

Earl i'm not sure i follow that one.
biggrin.png
As in middle-of-the-road - I thought it was impossible to be a True AudiophileTM until you owned a Dire Straits disk?

Indeed I gather that the most expensive, exclusiveand esoteric hifi companies -those who never advertise or demonstrate at shows, and who have no dealers or websites -they actually contact you when they consider you are ready. Those companiesactually weld "Sultans of Swing" into their CD drives as it's the only thing a True AudiophileTM will ever want to hear,and a special filter built-in means that anything elseone might accidently consider playing sounds like a massed bagpipe regiment beingslaughtered by Tourette's sufferers armed with diesel-powered strimmers. Allegedly.

Thassall
wink.png

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Surely Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin are also acceptable choices for the True Audiophile? And AK is one of the chosen elect owners of The Very Best Speakers in the Whole WorldTM and he's a Celine Dion fan.

It's their age, poor dears.

E

earl of sodbury

meninblack wrote:

Surely Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin are also acceptable choices for the True Audiophile? And AK is one of the chosen elect owners of The Very Best Speakers in the Whole WorldTM and he's a Celine Dion fan.It's their age, poor dears.
Post Barret Floyd are suitably minging, and Led Zep have never challenged my consciousness in a snooze-on situation- but the True AudiophileTM will become confused if faced with anything so challenging as choice: note the typical Tannoy Wardrobeminster contents of the True AudiophileTM- 7 pairs of yellowy-white Y-fronts; 7 pairs of thin black nylon socks; 1 pair of Titanium sock-suspenders (sorbothane damped); one pair of oxblood brogues (cleated); 1 pair of charcoal grey pleat-fronted crimplene slacks with elasticated waistband; 7 cotton Oxford shirts - white with narrow brown check; 2 knitted tank-tops - beige -Marks & Spencers; 1 sports Jacket, tweed; 1 years supply of adult diapers for those Knopfler-induced involuntary sphincter relaxations. NOTHING can be left to chance, and nothing is riskier than developing anything so threatening as "taste"!

"C*l*n* D**n"!!!
angry_smile.gif.8c0f636dd68eb7da5c2577e161ee9e27.gif
I'll thank you to mind you language young person-in-black!

Yep, the Olde Folkes love it, ahhh... Bless!

Injector

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2005
In a shed
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Astonished it's not Dire Straits - though very much hogging the same section of road...
rofl.gif.57a0859802223cfb25763a5f876a4be6.gif
I cannot for the life of me understand what all the fuss is about with "Grace" - I bought it fully expecting to be blown away.....but it went on eBay after one listen.

:minikiev:

Biscuit

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Cambs, , United King
don't really have one - but at the minute its Nick Cave - Red Right Hand (thanks MIB
wink.png
)

great driving bass line and plenty of venom in the vocals, some nice organ too.

G

Injector wrote:

I cannot for the life of me understand what all the fuss is about with "Grace" - I bought it fully expecting to be blown away.....but it went on eBay after one listen.

That's the way it is sometimes. Bought last years big thing Kasabian after everyone raved about it. Personally i think its a load of &*$&%&&^£

G

Injector wrote:

That is why you don't get it.

Grace is a grower, it's not a perfect album by any means, there are some moderate tracks but these are eclipsed by some of the finest contemporary songs released. Lover, You Should Have Come Over and Last Goodbye are superbly craftedand his vocal performances on the album are simply dazzling.

Grace deserves time and contemplation, it is a very fine work indeed and it matures as you pick up the nuances of the lyrics, get to grips with the unique vocal phrasing and appreciate the sheer talent on exhibit.

Listen to it again, give it a chance. One listen is not enough, it isn't throw away pop, it has meaning, depth and quality rarely heard.

Leonard Smalls

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 14, 2005
Shropshire Borders,
Rather than that depressive guitar-strumming-soul-searching nonsense y'all should try this for audiophool heaven:

B0009VAEB0.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Beautifully recorded - the doublebass especially, and no miserable git singing about how they're going to do away with themselves...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.