Wammer
Wammer
Aug 2, 2005
Netherlands
AKA
Erik
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I lend/paraphrased the description from Ray70after a search here (hope hewon't mind).

Did theyeversurpass their debut, isonly theireighties output worth to listen to, should they've nevergone commercial (beginning Out of Time) or should they've joined Berry as he retiredinstead of replacing him with adrum computer?

Personal favs: Life's Rich Pageant, Green, Automatic for the people.

ray70

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 2, 2005
Yes, I will be suing you for breach of copyright
biggrin.png

Don't get me wrong, I still like REM's newer stuff but it just lacks the excitement of their work from the 80s. Green still sounds fresh and exciting today as it did in 1989 but Up / Reveal / Around the Sun sound dated and similar already.

They've been going for 20 years and are still producing decent music, so fair play to them. The worrying thing though is that they seem to be on a downward curve. Still, their next one will probably be a stonker, and I'll be more than happy to eat my words if it is!

mosfet

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Surrey
AKA
Richard
My mate phoned me up the other night and said, “you have to come down the pub because Michael Stipe is here!†So off I went to the Dog & Duck.

When I got there I couldn’t see Stipe anywhere - so I said to my mate “where is he then?†and he said “that’s him in the cornerâ€.

:minikiev:

Uncle Ants

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2005
East Midlands, Unite
AKA
Tony
mosfet wrote:

My mate phoned me up the other night and said, “you have to come down the pub because Michael Stipe is here!†So off I went to the Dog & Duck. When I got there I couldn’t see Stipe anywhere - so I said to my mate “where is he then?†and he said “that’s him in the cornerâ€.

Saw Peter Buck in the bar of the Rescue Rooms in Nottingham the other week. He's currently "slumming it" as guitarist in Robyn Hitchcock's touring band. Very good they were too ... seemed to be enjoying himself.

ErikFH

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 2, 2005
Netherlands
AKA
Erik
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Uncle Ants wrote:

mosfet wrote:
My mate phoned me up the other night and said, “you have to come down the pub because Michael Stipe is here!†So off I went to the Dog & Duck. When I got there I couldn’t see Stipe anywhere - so I said to my mate “where is he then?†and he said “that’s him in the cornerâ€.

Saw Peter Buck in the bar of the Rescue Rooms in Nottingham the other week. He's currently "slumming it" as guitarist in Robyn Hitchcock's touring band. Very good they were too ... seemed to be enjoying himself.
HiUncle Ants, good to see you around. That mightimprove chances forsome nicereggae recs:djermaica:. Reminds me tostill get a copy of Catch a Fire's Deluxe edition, withthe original 8-track 'non messed with'Jamaican version on it.

ErikFH

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 2, 2005
Netherlands
AKA
Erik
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
ray70 wrote:

Yes, I will be suing you for breach of copyright
biggrin.png
Don't get me wrong, I still like REM's newer stuff but it just lacks the excitement of their work from the 80s. Green still sounds fresh and exciting today as it did in 1989 but Up / Reveal / Around the Sun sound dated and similar already.

They've been going for 20 years and are still producing decent music, so fair play to them. The worrying thing though is that they seem to be on a downward curve. Still, their next one will probably be a stonker, and I'll be more than happy to eat my words if it is!
Rub it in, I'ma defensive lawyer who knows his place on the music fora.:minikiev:

Thanks forthe post Ray. And perhaps itIS fair to ask what band or artist after 20 years of making records is still capable ofinteresting materialthat does justice to anestablished sound.

Uncle Ants

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2005
East Midlands, Unite
AKA
Tony
ErikfH wrote:

HiUncle Ants, good to see you around. That mightimprove chances forsome nicereggae recs:djermaica:. Reminds me tostill get a copy of Catch a Fire's Deluxe edition, withthe original 8-track 'non messed with'Jamaican version on it.
Eric ... buy it. Its the real thing. Unfortunately on CD only though
rolleyes.gif.fd85f9fd5d171988ef004a59c04642db.gif
. Even I have to buy the nasty little things sometimes.

ErikFH

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 2, 2005
Netherlands
AKA
Erik
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Uncle Ants wrote:

Eric ... buy it. Its the real thing. Unfortunately on CD only though
rolleyes.gif.fd85f9fd5d171988ef004a59c04642db.gif
. Even I have to buy the nasty little things sometimes.
Will do. Mind thata CD(P) is widelypreferable overany kind ofPC downloading
smile.png

The Strat

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 17, 2005
Buckingham, UK
AKA
Lindsay
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think REM were the best of the 80s - Reckoning is a particular favourite. Automatic For The People is a brilliant album - their last masterpiece. Could they make another?

Boxer

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 2, 2005
Reckoning, Murmur & Lifes Rich Pageant - Masterpieces.

Started losing the plot after signing for Warners, but still managed to do some good stuff.

Boxer

Chewie

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
The Fens
AKA
Carl
I would not have classed myself as a particularly ardent REM fan until reading this thread and then having a look what’s in my CD racks
shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif

Up

Reveal

Reckoning

In Time - Rarities and B-Sides

Eponymous

Fables of the Reconstruction

Green

Monster

Document

New Adventures In Hi-Fi

Automatic for the People

Out Of Time

Around The Sun

I don’t think they have made any bad albums, I can always find at least a four or five tracks on each that I can play over and over again but for me if I had to throw them all away bar one it would be Murmur that I kept.

I must dig them all out again and give them a spin.
cool.gif.9d6c72c555b38e519336a6d9b55ca875.gif

Nath

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 9, 2006
Newmarket, United Ki
What REM need to do is go out, get hammered and learn to have some fun again!
biggrin.png

I adore them but, it seems to me that the more odd Stipe becomes (wearing blue eye-shadow over his face, etc) the more down-beat they are.

That's probably why Buck is hanging out with the Minus 5 so much!

Still one of my top 5 bands though....
cool.gif.9d6c72c555b38e519336a6d9b55ca875.gif

mikedefacto

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 1, 2005
Liverpool
AKA
Mike
Reckoning is really really great... Murmur I have not heard all of

Fables of Reconstruction I like, too... but nothing after that album is really a patch on Reckoning IMO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.