I’ve just been blown away by my own system… Again!

newlash09

Iam deaf at the ears, but way more dumb in between
Wammer
Aug 10, 2018
India
AKA
Y.Manohar / mike
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've often wondered why Q Acoustics haven't earned more respect in the 'Hifi' world as they are probably, quite simply the best mainstream speakers on the market at the moment. I think their is an element of elitism somewhere because of the majority of their lines being somewhat affordable, their brand was always considered 'budget' and they are not a relic from yesteryear that people can remember with a tinge of sunshine and warm evenings where everything was 'better'.

Having gone through their Concept 20's, 40's and now  settling on their Concept 300's (and tens of other brands in between them), I am pretty much set on the 300's as a speaker for life (unless I one day move to a mansion and have space for the 500's). I accept they are pricey, but having trialied around eight other sets at the same price point before purchase, I just kept coming back the Q's because they where just a complete package with no annoyances, there were just 'right'.

Plus, they look the bomb to which is important for me also.
+1 :)

Another big Qacoustics fan boy here. I've started with their first HT package of the Q7000i. Then got the concept 40's and the concept center for the living room TV. Which even after being in place for 8 years now, still sound stunning at the end of a Marantz AVR. I have the concept 20's running at the end of a Bluesound powernode in my sisters place. I've never ever gone wrong with any Qacoustics offerings ever. Their smooth and refined house sound has always garnered instant acceptance in my entire household. 

A few years ago, when I moved into my present apartment, I replaced the Concept 40's with my Pmc 20.26. It lasted less than 2 days, with both my wife and daughter demanding the return of their much loved Concept 40's. So here they still are. And if and when they eventually die, they will be replaced by the current crop of Qacoustics speakers again :)

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Finally set to optimum. The HL5+ are staying put. I came to my senses and realised that there isn’t anything out there for the money that can do the texture, midrange and voice like these. Of course, my opinion but I’m really fussy having heard systems costing considerably more. 
The Copland DAC is something else. Again I’ve heard DACs costing so much more and sounding so… digital. Again with the inexpensive Audiolab transport, defying its price. 
Vinyl is so balanced but I might do a few tweaks later but for now, it’s so good set up right. Need to get that wall shelf up tho 😊

84645EDB-B4FA-43DD-B2C8-618EE4FAD90F.jpeg
Great to read that you have sorted your system out. Wondering what’s in the system downstairs as the Sugden was planned to go there with some Proacs. 

Psilonaught

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 16, 2007
Saffron Walden
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I spent a good three hours listening to my system yesterday and like the OP, I continue to be blown away by my system too.

Yet I consider dac and preamp changes  :doh:

Reactions: newlash09

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Great to read that you have sorted your system out. Wondering what’s in the system downstairs as the Sugden was planned to go there with some Proacs. 
Nothing happening yet Dom. Been selling lots of stuff from this house and old stuff we don’t use. Not including Hifi, we are up to about £1800 by selling off old DVD’s, fireplace, cooker, clothes etc to invest in the room. 

Reactions: newlash09 and DomT

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Nothing happening yet Dom. Been selling lots of stuff from this house and old stuff we don’t use. Not including Hifi, we are up to about £1800 by selling off old DVD’s, fireplace, cooker, clothes etc to invest in the room.
You actually got money from selling DVDs? Seriously. In London I couldn’t give them away to charity shops as they didn’t want them and Music Magpie were offering 1p even for a brand new sealed dvd or Blu-ray. Where did you sell please? Thanks

• Haha
Reactions: Bokke

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I just brought the Q Acoustic stands for my 3020i
They look great, are you pleased with them? I have temporarily used some old Foundation stands, and I’ve had these 3020i for a week now. They were originally destined for the study, but they look so nice I’m beginning to wonder about a modest AV system to go with the new telly. They’re ridiculously good for the money, aren’t they?

Several of us have hi-jacked Jon’s thread to rave about QAs, so I’ll shut up now. Sorry, Jon!

738AB330-6857-47A2-932F-694E03182D6B.jpeg

Last edited:

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You actually got money from selling DVDs? Seriously. In London I couldn’t give them away to charity shops as they didn’t want them and Music Magpie were offering 1p even for a brand new sealed dvd or Blu-ray. Where did you sell please? Thanks
Local gaming shop, not a lot but got rid.

• Thanks
Reactions: DomT

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
They look great,bare you pleased with them? I have temporarily used some old Foundation stands, and I’ve had these 3020i for a week now. They were originally destined for the study, but they look so nice I’m beginning to wonder about a modest AV system to go with the new telly. They’re ridiculously good for the money, aren’t they?

Several of us have hi-jacked Jon’s thread to rave about QAs, so I’ll shut up now. Sorry, Jon!

Lol not at all, I think I started it 😊 I’ve been using the 3030i’s for a few weeks now while my Harbeths are away on their refit.
Give the Q’s some decent electronics and they are pretty much an audio bargain. They are going up again in price I’ve noticed.

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Lol not at all, I think I started it 😊 I’ve been using the 3030i’s for a few weeks now while my Harbeths are away on their refit.
Give the Q’s some decent electronics and they are pretty much an audio bargain. They are going up again in price I’ve noticed.
Well I’ve been following the prices for about a year now, and they definitely go up and down. There seem to be windows where everyone charges full price, then there’s a 10% off, or a save £100 for Easter, etc. Mine were listed by homeavdirect on eBay - they seem to do huge volumes - and then there was a 20% off everything for a few days, headlined by eBay. So I got mine for just under £200 -v- their usual £249, making them cheaper than seconds or returns. Delivered within 48 hours by DPD.

If I’d realised they’d sound so good I’d have bagged the QA stands with 20% off too, but I’ve already got two sets of stands which take up room! And yes, total bargain for the quality. :)

Reactions: Rockchild

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well I’ve been following the prices for about a year now, and they definitely go up and down. There seem to be windows where everyone charges full price, then there’s a 10% off, or a save £100 for Easter, etc. Mine were listed by homeavdirect on eBay - they seem to do huge volumes - and then there was a 20% off everything for a few days, headlined by eBay. So I got mine for just under £200 -v- their usual £249, making them cheaper than seconds or returns. Delivered within 48 hours by DPD.

If I’d realised they’d sound so good I’d have bagged the QA stands with 20% off too, but I’ve already got two sets of stands which take up room! And yes, total bargain for the quality. :)
Actually the 3030i are £349 list. Same here, £225 plus I searched those voucher codes and got them under £200 at the time. I’ve heard respectable £1000 speakers not sounding as good as these

Reactions: Tarzan

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Actually the 3030i are £349 list. Same here, £225 plus I searched those voucher codes and got them under £200 at the time. I’ve heard respectable £1000 speakers not sounding as good as these
Mine are actually the smaller 3020i so you truly got a great bargain! And I agree they are really good in that 'cheaper than the LS50' category. No wonder they're so popular and win awards year after year.

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Mine are actually the smaller 3020i so you truly got a great bargain! And I agree they are really good in that 'cheaper than the LS50' category. No wonder they're so popular and win awards year after year.
I’ve got the 3010i’s too. Even better if the room isn’t too big

Attachments

• C1F19985-9019-4947-A8AF-1622FF3279B9.jpeg
    C1F19985-9019-4947-A8AF-1622FF3279B9.jpeg
    269.9 KB · Views: 12
  • CD771FC2-4718-4A08-9C49-1FF856E86153.jpeg
    CD771FC2-4718-4A08-9C49-1FF856E86153.jpeg
    220.8 KB · Views: 12
Reactions: Nopiano and Bokke

PeteVid

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 25, 2005
South East London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My QA Concept 20s have seen off a pair of Harbeth P3ESRs and Kef LS50s. I lived with all three pairs of speakers for a year to eighteen months. The Kef LS50s went first then I was left with the Concept 20s and Harbeths for a few months. I preferred the extra bass extension of the Concept 20s . With my 59 year old ears and in my room there was little else to chose between them . In the end I decided to cash in and sell the Harbeths . I get more satisfaction marvelling at how good £250 speakers do sound than stressing about how good £1250 speakers ought to sound.

Last edited:

Bokke

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
They look great, are you pleased with them? I have temporarily used some old Foundation stands, and I’ve had these 3020i for a week now. They were originally destined for the study, but they look so nice I’m beginning to wonder about a modest AV system to go with the new telly. They’re ridiculously good for the money, aren’t they?

hi

The q acoustics make great sound on an av system but I've also had the privilege of listening to an all round ATC series like yours and the dynamics will astound you - dead silent to war zone in a fraction a second.

if your amp can facilitate the AV bypass then id get an atc centre - use your floor standers then get 1 acoustics for all the rest - add in bk sub
cheap top class system imo

Bokke

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My QA Concept 20s have seen off a pair of Harbeth P3ESRs and Kef LS50s. I lived with all three pairs of speakers for a year to eighteen months. The Kef LS50s went first then I was left with the Concept 20s and Harbeths for a few months. I preferred the extra bass extension of the Concept 20s . With my 59 year old ears and in my room there was little else to chose between them . In the end I decided to cash in and sell the Harbeths . I get more satisfaction marvelling at how good at £250 speakers do sound than stressing about how good £1250 speakers ought to sound.
you wont believe me but in Germany a few years ago the q acoustics 5.1 sounded better than the B&W 800 series floor standers - In a hifi shop

Reactions: PeteVid

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
hi

The q acoustics make great sound on an av system but I've also had the privilege of listening to an all round ATC series like yours and the dynamics will astound you - dead silent to war zone in a fraction a second.

if your amp can facilitate the AV bypass then id get an atc centre - use your floor standers then get 1 acoustics for all the rest - add in bk sub
cheap top class system imo
Thanks for those thoughts. To be honest, I’m not much of an AV fan, having had my fill of that about 15 years ago. Although I’m sure an ATC surround system would be amazing, our TV is well away from the Hifi so I was thinking much more modestly - that is, just a bit better than the very good Canton sound base we currently use.

Reactions: Bokke

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online