Integrated amps with a passive pre section ... A question

lordmortlock

Lordmortlock
Wammer
Jun 22, 2009
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've read a few articles/posts over the years in which users/reviewers add a separate active pre amp to an integrated with a passive pre section. Most have these have related to ART or EAR amps. My Almarro a318b is designed in this way and I'd like to try a valve pre up front for experiments sake.

By fully opening the passive pot are you completely defeating it? I suppose that's probably design dependent. My AN Dac output 2.0v so no issues driving the passive stage, this is more a play about to see what a high quality pre adds. Anyone tried this with the Almarro by chance?

anubisgrau

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 23, 2006
Belgrade Serbia
AKA
Gordan
By fully opening the passive pot are you completely defeating it? I suppose that's probably design dependent?
yes, it's a design dependant but most of the attenuators in zero attenuation position (wide open) are basically a piece of wire. it doesn't necessarily mean it's 100% transparent but at least it shouldn't interfere with the source impedance which is a main mess there.

basically it's a source pass position and the best when attaching an extrenal active preamp (because of its fixed impedance where no level of attenuation would affect it).

lordmortlock

Lordmortlock
Wammer
Jun 22, 2009
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Good, thanks Gordan. I like this set up well enough already but would love to hear what an AN pre or similar might add.

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Don't be frightened to experiment and see what sounds best. I use my amps with the input attenuators on the Air Tight set at about half way, so the normal listening range on the AN volume controls is around 9 - 12 o'clock.

AN pres have high gain, so having your passive volume control wide open can leave you with very little volume adjustment!

Lefty

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 8, 2005
In your town
Go for it Jake - this is exactly what I am doing with my Puresound A30. (Which has a passive pre section).

I am using a Conrad Johnson PV10al to good effect. (and a pair of Rothwell attenuators to compensate for the high gain of the CJ pre)

Lefty

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.