Jazz Mastering

NAM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2010
Edinburgh, Scotland
AKA
Neil
Not innappropriately improvising on a theme....

To paraphrase a previous thread, there's no need for classical 'remasters' because they are engineered/mastered adequately in the first place...

What about Jazz CD's?

Does it fall somewhere in between Classical and Pop/rock (in terms of the likelihood it will be well produced, engineered and mastered)? Does it depend on how popular it is? :p :p

florette69

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 30, 2006
Shropshire, UK
In general, I would say most jazz CDs are mastered 'properly' without any tweakery. By definition, it is a dynamic genre, and predominantly acoustic, so little post-production is needed. However, some mainstream releases have suffered in recent years, notably some of the RVG Blue Notes which sound nothing like earlier editions (i.e. narrowed almost to mono soundstage, compressed to buggery). To offset such horrors, there are boutique remasters which reverse these mistakes.

Eds1000

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 22, 2006
i've found the verve lable to be good on such things as wes mongomery,coleman hawkins,ben webster,oscar peterson,herb ellis,stan getz.theres loads more that have been remastered.

the jvc k2 20bit super coding are nice also,but i'm not sure how many lables they did remastering for,i have them from the fantasy lable.

some stuff on dcc-redone by steve hoffman.

my bluenote cds all sound good to me including rvg's.

lowendall

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 14, 2009
Scotland
AKA
happy enough
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
In general, I would say most jazz CDs are mastered 'properly' without any tweakery. By definition, it is a dynamic genre, and predominantly acoustic, so little post-production is needed. However, some mainstream releases have suffered in recent years, notably some of the RVG Blue Notes which sound nothing like earlier editions (i.e. narrowed almost to mono soundstage, compressed to buggery). To offset such horrors, there are boutique remasters which reverse these mistakes.
jesus you want to hear some of the horror stories i have picked up in teh last ten years , there is some trully bezare mixing off jazz group s and ensembles out there, and compression all over bass sounds especially ,

i have a couple of crackers, .

piano;s that need a good sessioin with a tunner is just one of my irritations, along with

mic;s shuved in to bass drums on the kit<

regards

lowendall.

jimdgoulding

Wammer
Wammer
May 5, 2008
Le workshop
Can't speak for all RVG's, but Andrew Hill's Point of Departure is a something of a disappointment. It may have been the first RVG or close, if not. The opening track, Rufuge, is in the ascendant of jazz works I've heard over the better part of the last half a century, imo. Not the least of which is Hill's own playing. A very young Tony Williams and Richard Davis compose the rhythm section. It note perfect flies!

ncdrawl

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 6, 2008
Edinburgh
AKA
Teddy Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes

jimdgoulding

Wammer
Wammer
May 5, 2008
Le workshop
I have that Shade, too, NC. Yep, the sound is phenominal. When I'm fine tuning this or that, I listen to see how clear the drunk chick's approval is in the audience on Round Midnight. And the sense of the room space in the club.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online