gobby git
Wammer
Oct 5, 2019
Lavister
AKA
Lee
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Oh my!! I’d have them uncovered like that all the time. First impression on the sound please! 
Well, first impression was "what have I done, they sound appalling".

After a brief panic attack, I started moving them around, and got something much nicer.

Today I had the chance to run the dirac room correction built into my nad streamer, amd started listening properly.

When people say they sound like being at a live venue they aren't kidding, some of the vocals just take your breath away, even some of the chat between songs is like they are in the room with you.

I'm not a great one for imaging generally, but as I was putting the mic away, after doing the room correction, it actually felt like I was walking onto the stage. No word of a lie, I looked to see who was behind me! 

I won't say they're perfect, they aren't, they aren't as detailed as my PMC FB1s, and they can sometimes sound a bit "cheap" with the wrong material in thst you dont hear anything special, but when you get it right, just wow!

More thoughts to follow when I've lived with them some more, but here's another pov.

I've moved my PMCs into a different room and connected them to a leak 130, and I listened for 10 minutes before I had to go listen to the fortes again. It was like going from hifi to a concert. 

Gizza

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Mar 12, 2011
Sutton Coldfield
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Very nice and congratulations! From what I read, they're quite revealing of components upstream. I loved the Klipsch 'La Scala' that I heard  some years ago at a dealer. Dynamics abound.... 

Last edited by a moderator:

Leem

gobby git
Wammer
Oct 5, 2019
Lavister
AKA
Lee
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Very nice and congratulations! From what I read, they're quite revealing of components upstream. I loved the Klipschorn 'A La Scala' that I heard  some years ago at a dealer. Dynamics abound.... 
Definitely revealing, I think I need a better cartridge

Leem

gobby git
Wammer
Oct 5, 2019
Lavister
AKA
Lee
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Go on don't hold back, wear your heart on your sleeve.....did you like them? :D
So far I think they're amazing. 

When you turn them up (ie when swmbo goes out) they just sing.

I was listening to strangers in the night (ufo live album earlier) and it was like being back in the 70s

Reactions: George 47

JimFin

New Wammer
Jul 17, 2021
Crystal Beach, Texas
AKA
Jimmy
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I'm running a tube integrated and have been considering replacing Zu's with the Forte.  Good to hear you're happy with them.

tuga

. . .
Wammer
Aug 17, 2007
Oxen's ford, UK
AKA
Ricardo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Leem

gobby git
Wammer
Oct 5, 2019
Lavister
AKA
Lee
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sadly since I got covid late last year my hearing has been badly affected in one ear, so not been listening much since.

I may sell them,  no point having that amount of gear doing nothing.

At least with headphones I can make allowances

tuga

. . .
Wammer
Aug 17, 2007
Oxen's ford, UK
AKA
Ricardo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sadly since I got covid late last year my hearing has been badly affected in one ear, so not been listening much since.

I may sell them,  no point having that amount of gear doing nothing.

At least with headphones I can make allowances
Have you ruled our a blocked ear?

JimFin

New Wammer
Jul 17, 2021
Crystal Beach, Texas
AKA
Jimmy
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Thanks for the input Ric.  I'll read the article.  It will be difficult for me to audition at home for any speaker purchase.

tuga

. . .
Wammer
Aug 17, 2007
Oxen's ford, UK
AKA
Ricardo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I would expect your PrimaLuna amp to easily drive Forte III or IVs.
From Stereophile's measurements it looks as though most (perhaps all) Prima Luna amplifiers have a very high output impedance.

Measurements of the Forte III impedance and phase show a difficult load in the bass and disproportionally high impedance in the treble, and thus the amplifier/speaker interaction will result in excessive treble and little low-bass.

Look here for an explanation:

Questions of Impedance Interaction

https://www.stereophile.com/reference/810/index.html

Real-Life Measurements

https://www.stereophile.com/reference/60/index.html

rdale

Wammer
Wammer Plus
May 21, 2009
Gran Canaria, Spain
AKA
Richard Dale
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
From Stereophile's measurements it looks as though most (perhaps all) Prima Luna amplifiers have a very high output impedance.

Measurements of the Forte III impedance and phase show a difficult load in the bass and disproportionally high impedance in the treble, and thus the amplifier/speaker interaction will result in excessive treble and little low-bass.

Look here for an explanation:

Questions of Impedance Interaction

https://www.stereophile.com/reference/810/index.html

Real-Life Measurements

https://www.stereophile.com/reference/60/index.html
You’ve no practical experience of either Klipsch speakers or PrimaLuna amps. You don’t apparently like either of them because of your interpretation of measurements you’ve found on the web.

I do actually have a pair of Klipsch speakers driven by a valve amp, and along with many other people I find it a great combination. I’m probably going to upgrade my amp to a PrimaLuna Evo 100 later in this year, and I would expect that amp to be a great combination with the larger Klipsches if I were to upgrade my speakers at some point.

• Upvote
Reactions: Ady

tuga

. . .
Wammer
Aug 17, 2007
Oxen's ford, UK
AKA
Ricardo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You’ve no practical experience of either Klipsch speakers or PrimaLuna amps. You don’t apparently like either of them because of your interpretation of measurements you’ve found on the web.

I do actually have a pair of Klipsch speakers driven by a valve amp, and along with many other people I find it a great combination. I’m probably going to upgrade my amp to a PrimaLuna Evo 100 later in this year, and I would expect that amp to be a great combination with the larger Klipsches if I were to upgrade my speakers at some point.
I knew you would say that. :rofl:

You confuse taste with fact though. You have the R-41Ms I believe. Interestingly the load is not too dissimilar:

https://www.******************.com/forum/index.php?threads/klipsch-r-41m-bookshelf-speaker-review.11566/

• Haha
Reactions: rdale

rdale

Wammer
Wammer Plus
May 21, 2009
Gran Canaria, Spain
AKA
Richard Dale
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I knew you would say that. :rofl:

You confuse taste with fact though. You have the R-41Ms I believe. Interestingly the load is not too dissimilar:

https://www.******************.com/forum/index.php?threads/klipsch-r-41m-bookshelf-speaker-review.11566/
You are not asserting ‘facts’, and I am not confused. I hope that anyone interested in how well PrimaLuna amps go with Klipsch speakers searches for reports based on practical experience. The reports I’ve found have been uniformly positive.

tuga

. . .
Wammer
Aug 17, 2007
Oxen's ford, UK
AKA
Ricardo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You are not asserting ‘facts’, and I am not confused. I hope that anyone interested in how well PrimaLuna amps go with Klipsch speakers searches for reports based on practical experience. The reports I’ve found have been uniformly positive.
The problem with your reason is that your “go well” is a matter of taste and “well” in this case is your taste

rdale

Wammer
Wammer Plus
May 21, 2009
Gran Canaria, Spain
AKA
Richard Dale
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The problem with your reason is that your “go well” is a matter of taste and “well” in this case is your taste
By ‘go well’ I mean the combination of PrimaLuna/Klipsch sounds good according to all the reports I’ve read. Additionaly, the amp doesn’t have technical issues with the speaker load in practice, as you think it might from your ‘theory’.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online