Lexus CT200h - First Impressions

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I bade a not-so-tearful farewell to the company VW Passat this week: three years and 62,000 miles of the dullest driving experience this side of a Vauxhall Insignia. It was economical (averaging 64-65 mpg), cheap to run (2 services; 1 set of front tyres, 1 set of wiper blades) and reliable (only called VW Assist out twice - once when the bonnet jammed shut and once when a bit of the undertray fell off...) But my God, it was boring. :(

Anyway, the nice chap who took the VW away to the car auction left this instead:

WP_20140622_0011_zpsd4b25416.jpg

WP_20140622_0021_zps2c75cab7.jpg

So why on earth did I pick this? In a word: tax. :D My company car scheme isn't big on choice, and even though I'm a rung up from three years ago, I still only had three choices: mid-range diesel Passat, mid-range diesel Mazda 6 or this Lexus.

I really didn't want another Passat, not even in the loaded-up Executive trim. The Mazda has great looks and the most performance, but I was put off by the black-only interior and the total lack of a DAB radio, even as an option. The Lexus, in mid-range Advance trim, comes with every conceivable extra, DAB as standard and a choice of seat fabrics. And it's £80 a month cheaper in Company Car tax than the Passat. That's like a £1350 a year pay rise, right there. Needless to say, quite a lot of these are popping up in the work car park lately...

The USP of the Lexus is Toyota's Hybrid Synergy Drive. Hybrids are huge in the USA, where they simply won't buy diesels, and Toyota is the clear market leader. The powertrain used in the Lexus was pioneered in the Toyota Prius, and is currently used by various small Toyotas as well as the Prius and this CT200h.

It's a complex system: the Wikipedia article that explains how it works is very long! In short it combines an 80 bhp electric motor with a 100 bhp Atkinson-cycle petrol engine and a CVT transmission. The whole shooting match is entirely controlled by software, and its combined maximum output is something like 135 bhp. Unlike the forthcoming generation of European hybrids, the Lexus isn't a plug-in (PHEV) hybrid. The only way to charge the hybrid battery is by running the petrol engine.

There are four driving modes, selected by a rotary dial on the dashboard.

In EV (milk float) mode, the car is driven only by the electric motor and the hybrid battery. It's very quiet in this mode, but you can only go 1 km at up to 20 mph. The novelty soon wears off.

In ECO mode, the software tries to maximise use of the electric motor, and round town the EV light comes on quite a lot in this mode. It also dulls the throttle response, giving the impression that the already-heavy Lexus is towing a caravan filled with bricks. OK in heavy traffic, but otherwise quite annoying.

NORMAL mode is probably going to get the most use, finding a reasonable balance between performance and economy.

When you really want to go for it, SPORT mode re-maps the throttle response, allows the petrol and electric motors to work together to release all of the power and firms up the (electric) power steering. The daft eco-gauge next to the speedo morphs into a rev counter, and the blue instrument lighting changes to a Satanic red. :D But honestly, it still doesn't feel remotely fast. Buyers of the big-wheeled-and-bodykitted F-Sport model are going to feel decidedly short-changed.

There's no getting round it, the Lexus feels slow. It feels slower than the MX-5, probably because it IS slower. But it also feels slower than the Jimny, despite being 2 seconds quicker from 0-60. :dunno: Of course, the Jimny feels faster than it is - mostly due to the noise, the shaking and the pervasive fear of imminent death.

In truth, the Lexus feels slower than it is, and I reckon it's down to the transmission. Most cars give you clues that you are accelerating: the revs build in each gear, then there's that little shove in the back caused by the "jerk" of up-changes. All of this is what you expect from acceleration and it adds up to a subjective feeling of speed. In the Lexus, when you mash the pedal the rev counter flies up to 5000 rpm and just stays there while the car gathers speed. The relationship between the revs rising and the speed rising is broken, and there are no gearchanges. It just gathers speed in a very smooth and linear fashion. It's a well-isolated car, so watching the speedo needle move is the biggest bit of sensory feedback you'll get.

[End of Part One]

Jezzer

Unspecified Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jul 31, 2005
Uxbridge
AKA
Jezzer
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sounds exciting. I can't wait for part two! :pop:

SMEagol

Middle Earthed
Wammer Plus
Aug 13, 2008
Lancashire
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I hate to mention it in the same thread but my smart has a CVT, in automatic mode its as dopey as hell, squishing the throttle response and taking an age to go through each gear - often one too high, but the flappy paddles in manual mode make for a far more dynamic? experience. Its fun without a clutch too, its like a crap PS2 driving game!

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
That's not a CVT, the Smart uses an automated manual transmission. My brother has one, it's a bit dim-witted.

A CVT doesn't have any distinct gears.

SMEagol

Middle Earthed
Wammer Plus
Aug 13, 2008
Lancashire
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
ya haa... now I know :D sounds good though. I'd like red dash lights to make mine feel faster!

tryant

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 29, 2008
United Kingdom
I test drove an Auris Hybrid recently. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's the same engine and transmission. Dull is too kind. I'd be begging my employers for that Mazda.

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
It's more or less the same car. I do zero private miles, and most of the work miles are motorway, so I'm not after excitement. The lack of DAB in the Mazda was the deal-breaker - we are not allowed to change the radio!

Jezzer

Unspecified Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jul 31, 2005
Uxbridge
AKA
Jezzer
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Toyota's current advertising: "Fall in love with driving again." :cafe:

tryant

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 29, 2008
United Kingdom
It's more or less the same car. I do zero private miles, and most of the work miles are motorway, so I'm not after excitement. The lack of DAB in the Mazda was the deal-breaker - we are not allowed to change the radio!
you'll need that radio to keep you awake.

Beobloke

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
AKA
Adam
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Toyota's current advertising: "Fall in love with driving again." :cafe:
Shouldn't that be "Fall asleep whilst driving again"?

I fell asleep just looking at the picture. Was Mibby's review any good?

Hornucopia

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 16, 2009
Bristol, , United Ki
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Was just re-evaluating my dislike of the Lexus SC430 today as one purred past me in Tetbury.

No substitute for capacity and comfort?

(But way over Car allowance levels?)

Chris, ex-LS400 owner.

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
So: it doesn't really go. But does it handle? Is it comfy? Are there lots of toys?

For the first couple of days I was a bit dismayed by how hard the ride was and how jiggly the car felt on typical British roads. Mine has the optional 16" wheels, because all the road tests said it was just awful on the standard 17" ones, but even so it felt less supple than the MX-5 :shock: . Then I checked the tyre pressures. The sticker inside the door says 32 psi; it was delivered with ... 41 :doh: .

Reducing the tyre pressures has certainly calmed down the ride, but it is still on the firm side. The handling is better than I expected: it has lots of grip and turns in smartly. Stick it in SPORT mode and you can actually chuck it around a bit. Trouble is, the electric power steering is so dead and numb that the only way you'll find out it's about to let go is after you're flying backwards through a hedge. I've driven VWs, Audis and BMWs with these electric steering systems, and they've all been bloody awful. Road tests suggest that the only company that has managed to make a good one (with some feel) is Porsche. I'll stick with the MX-5 for sprints across Exmoor.

The seats are not great either. Not as bad as the ones in the Passat, but the bolsters pinch across the shoulders, and lack of lumbar support adjustment in a car of this price (around £25k) is shameful. The mock suede fabric is nice though, certainly better than the scratchy nylon in the Passat.

WP_20140622_0031_zpsc577a54d.jpg

There are LOADS of toys. Power windows, mirrors (with power folding), auto lights, auto wipers, parking sensors, heated seats, dual-zone climate control, bluetooth, sat nav ... this Advance model actually has more kit than the next two models above it!

Most of the electronics is controlled by the screen in the middle of the dash and the wheely-joystick thing in the centre console. This is a knock-off of the BMW i-drive controller, but a bit more plasticky and not as good. Unfortunately it's Japanese, so everything is completely non-intuitive to the Western mind. Just tuning the DAB radio and connecting my phone took hours! The sat nav is close to impenetrable. There is a separate, thick manual for this, but it isn't much help. An example of its wisdom: the screen may be hard to read if you are wearing sunglasses. Solution: remove sunglasses. :doh:

You can also use the wheely-stick to control the climate system, if you are a masochist. I found it easier just to use the buttons.

Lastly, economy. Over the first 600 miles I'm averaging 55 mpg. Which is a fair bit worse than the 65 mpg that the Passat delivered. Lucky I hardly ever do any private miles! :D

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Mark Levinson?
LOL, no - you have to buy the £32k one to get that! The standard system is OK, much better with CD than DAB though.

sparkyhx

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 26, 2014
Halifax
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I like the look of these but the lowly power and the huge weight will make it feel sluggish. coupled with the quite tragic booty space, it just doesn't compute for me.

I'd be interested in what you think of the drive in relation to the Passat. Lexus are hardly renound for their dynamic handling.

I loved my Lexus LS which was LPG'd - quite simply epic (but boring) but i never felt like I needed to test it, it just wafted from place to place. It also gave the equivalent of 50mpg.

I had a second car for fun, which I drove like i stole it. I just replaced my fun car with what i thought would be a bit more user/family friendly, but still fun, - a BMW 330, and bizarely, It too, doesn't make we want to test it All I've done so far is pootle and waft around but it still puts a smile on my face like the Lex.

Maybe there is something about big(ish) engines that calmes me down. TBH I don't miss my previous car which was simply brutal and put a huge smile on my face, but the new one does it for other reasons..........i'm still going to track the BMW though - so roll on August for snetterton.

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I like big engines too - give me a 7.0 litre V8 any day :^

The Lexus is a bit numb, but handling is a lot sharper than the Passat, which was a soggy barge. It had a big boot, but practicality was limited by the small opening. The Lexus with the seats folded down is lots better.

Diesels - not for me. :nup:

Butuz

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 22, 2010
S.Wales.
AKA
Andy
I had a taxi ride home in one of these once. I was a bit pissed off that I had to pay £15 for the privilege!

Prius' were shit. Auris' were shit. Hows the Lexus? Oh just read your review. Guess that's shit too then! :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online