Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Case in point, Linn's DSP (referred to as their 'Space Optimisation' software) doesn't use room-based microphone measurements, but instead relies on generic input data (room dimensions, average furnishings categories etc).
It is rather more advanced than your description. Amongst other things, the construction of floors, wall and ceilings is selectable, absorbtion can be calibrated up and down on a sliding scale, and doors, windows and other openings accounted for - even double glazed or not. Of course, there’s nothing to stop a keen user carrying out microphone checks with the necessary extra kit. But Linn seem to mostly sell lifestyle designs/systems today, hence SO enables a dealer to get the best results when on installation they’re asked to put speakers nearer the corner (say) than an audiophile would choose.

I prefer the traditional compromise of speakers placed optimally, but I have found with some speakers that SO has improved the results noticeably. My preference remains to avoid it, however, just like I’d avoid tone controls.

Last edited:

HollyJohnsen

Wammer
Dec 20, 2021
Germany, Waldeck
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Akudoriks and Akubariks are the second tier in the Linn range, I never heard them in detail, but coming from a Majik Exakt system (second tier) I would consider Akudoriks or Akubariks as the next logical step.

I use an Akurate Exakt box in combination with a Linn legacy speaker (Keltik) and it is in principle the same system as the Akudorik, a digital active system, DAC on each channel, phase correction and optional digital room DSP which I use to great satisfaction. U do need a controller to manage it all, in my case a system hub, which normally is also a part of the Akudorik package, so the streamer is included.

Now call my biased since I’m a Linn-fan, but I would not trade it for another brand…

If one knows the Linn hierarchy, the completeness of the system and values the philosophy and of course sound, the price is what it is.. not cheap, not overpriced.

If money was no problem, Akudoriks or Akubariks where on top of my list. As always YMMV.
Well spoken. For me, the Klimax 350 sings.

HollyJohnsen

Wammer
Dec 20, 2021
Germany, Waldeck
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Akudorik is a great speaker, amplifier and digital and analog converter. I don't want to say that it is cheap, but inexpensive. I love listening to him. Make your own judgement and take your time and visit a Linn dealer. Yes, it's true, Linn fans only hear Linn. But why keep looking once you've found the music?

Blzebub

Thundering bigot
Wammer
Dec 22, 2015
Stamford, Lincs
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Linn fans like melodies and music, not a storm on a lake. We feel music and don't pay attention to sounds.
Let me guess: you've never demo'd anything but Linn gear. And how come the ludicrous Linn "Tune-Dem" involves listening to very short snatches of music, rather than entire tracks?

I've heard the top Linn gear at the factory, and it's frankly atrocious given the prices asked. Lifestyle products, not serious hi-fi.

Lurch

Piss-taker & Gobshite Par Excelle'nce
Wammer Plus
Sep 17, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yep, must admit from what I've heard being emitted by full Linn systems at shows and dealers is not good. To my ears a full Linn system is to music what a dog turd is to fine dining.

HollyJohnsen

Wammer
Dec 20, 2021
Germany, Waldeck
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There was other equipment. MBL, Burmester, Dynaudio, Mission, B&W etc. Music shredding is enough to feel how the music reaches. Which Linn products are overpriced?

Pennypacker

d^_^b
Wammer
Oct 10, 2018
Netherlands
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Let me guess: you've never demo'd anything but Linn gear. And how come the ludicrous Linn "Tune-Dem" involves listening to very short snatches of music, rather than entire tracks?

I've heard the top Linn gear at the factory, and it's frankly atrocious given the prices asked. Lifestyle products, not serious hi-fi.
For the quality given Linn is practically giving it away.

• Haha
Reactions: Blzebub

Pedro2

Pedro2
Wammer
Sep 9, 2018
High Peak
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It is rather more advanced than your description. Amongst other things, the construction of floors, wall and ceilings is selectable, absorbtion can be calibrated up and down on a sliding scale, and doors, windows and other openings accounted for - even double glazed or not. Of course, there’s nothing to stop a keen user carrying out microphone checks with the necessary extra kit. But Linn seem to mostly sell lifestyle designs/systems today, hence SO enables a dealer to get the best results when on installation they’re asked to put speakers nearer the corner (say) than an audiophile would choose.

I prefer the traditional compromise of speakers placed optimally, but I have found with some speakers that SO has improved the results noticeably. My preference remains to avoid it, however, just like I’d avoid tone controls.
I presently use Space optimisation as it facilitates sensible volume settings on my sub. It also only (directly) effects under 80hz settings which is my sub.

In the past, and particularly with previous passive setups, I found Space Optimisation to have a slightly negative effect on overall SQ as it was working on my main speakers - I experienced too much bass (and emotional engagement) removal.

Having said that, it’s definitely working well on my present system and is built into Linn streamers (a definite plus for the company). I recently bought a Umik microphone and am planning on using it soon with REW. It will be interesting to compare and contrast what this throws up against the pure mathematical calculations done by Linn’s Space modelling.

I’ve got an ambivalent relationship with Linn - they continue to make some cracking kit (for me, their streamers and possibly the ‘entry level’ LP12), but they’ve definitely dipped more than a toe into the high priced super league of manufacturers - at the end of the day, it’s business, but I’d be looking elsewhere if planning to spend £1000s or £10000s.

Reactions: Nopiano

Pennypacker

d^_^b
Wammer
Oct 10, 2018
Netherlands
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I presently use Space optimisation as it facilitates sensible volume settings on my sub. It also only (directly) effects under 80hz settings which is my sub.

In the past, and particularly with previous passive setups, I found Space Optimisation to have a slightly negative effect on overall SQ as it was working on my main speakers - I experienced too much bass (and emotional engagement) removal.

Having said that, it’s definitely working well on my present system and is built into Linn streamers (a definite plus for the company). I recently bought a Umik microphone and am planning on using it soon with REW. It will be interesting to compare and contrast what this throws up against the pure mathematical calculations done by Linn’s Space modelling.

I’ve got an ambivalent relationship with Linn - they continue to make some cracking kit (for me, their streamers and possibly the ‘entry level’ LP12), but they’ve definitely dipped more than a toe into the high priced super league of manufacturers - at the end of the day, it’s business, but I’d be looking elsewhere if planning to spend £1000s or £10000s.
There is definitely a big difference between the firts en second version of Space Optimisation, since SO only tackles 80Hz and lower the rest is up the the user self with speaker positio.

Blzebub

Thundering bigot
Wammer
Dec 22, 2015
Stamford, Lincs
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’ve got an ambivalent relationship with Linn - they continue to make some cracking kit (for me, their streamers and possibly the ‘entry level’ LP12)
The LP12 is a reasonable mid-tier TT, competing with lower-end Regas. It's nowhere near as good as a NA Dais, for instance, and the prices they are charging for it are laughable. The streamers are good, if overpriced, but these are basically computers, and computers become obsolete rather quickly.

Linn can't/don't make their own loudspeaker drivers, and it shows.

Pedro2

Pedro2
Wammer
Sep 9, 2018
High Peak
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The LP12 is a reasonable mid-tier TT, competing with lower-end Regas. It's nowhere near as good as a NA Dais, for instance, and the prices they are charging for it are laughable. The streamers are good, if overpriced, but these are basically computers, and computers become obsolete rather quickly.

I’m not sure about a lower end Rega competing favourably with an LP12 - I’ve just moved on from a Rega P2 to a modified Thorens TD160B with Rega arm. The move, for me, was a good one. I imagine that the Thorens would stand comparison with the LP12 (but at a much lower price).

Pennypacker

d^_^b
Wammer
Oct 10, 2018
Netherlands
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No

Lots of companies buy of the shelf drivers, senseless argument in this case.

This whole thread started as a question about Akudoriks, that question seems te be answered,

What’s clear to me is that you don’t like Linn and their products are a waist of money.. what baffles me is the amount of energy you are willing to put in Linn bashing, I really don’t get it, nobody is forcing you or anybody else to buy Linn products.. anyhow I will stop feeding the trolls..

CnoEvil

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Aug 7, 2018
Northern Ireland
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’m not sure about a lower end Rega competing favourably with an LP12 - I’ve just moved on from a Rega P2 to a modified Thorens TD160B with Rega arm. The move, for me, was a good one. I imagine that the Thorens would stand comparison with the LP12 (but at a much lower price).
Back in the day, I went from a Rega Planar 2 -> RP3 -> LP12/Ittok/Asak. The RP3 was noticeably better than the RP2. The LP12 was then a very big step up.

Blzebub

Thundering bigot
Wammer
Dec 22, 2015
Stamford, Lincs
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Back in the day, I went from a Rega Planar 2 -> RP3 -> LP12/Ittok/Asak. The RP3 was noticeably better than the RP2. The LP12 was then a very big step up.
I was never convinced, speed stability is not great, and there's no low bass. The engineering of the LP12 is poor when you look underneath and take it apart. Linn had to turn to SME to make the Keel for them. It's an outdated design in today's market - placing a largely-hollow resonant box under the platter is plain stupid, and the bouncy suspension is poorly designed and under-engineered. The level of potential tweakery and seemingly endless "upgrades" involved in LP12 ownership is revealing.

• Haha
Reactions: HollyJohnsen

CnoEvil

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Aug 7, 2018
Northern Ireland
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I was never convinced, speed stability is not great, and there's no low bass. The engineering of the LP12 is poor when you look underneath and take it apart. Linn had to turn to SME to make the Keel for them. It's an outdated design in today's market - placing a largely-hollow resonant box under the platter is plain stupid, and the bouncy suspension is poorly designed and under-engineered. The level of potential tweakery and seemingly endless "upgrades" involved in LP12 ownership is revealing.
I haven't owned a TT for 30 years. I can only comment on what I owned in late 70s and 80s.

I certainly think the fully spec'd LP12 has become far too rich for my blood.....but I have no intention of getting back into Vinyl.

• Upvote

TheFlash

Also available in pink
Wammer
Jun 22, 2013
Rural Leics [system 1] & Kendal [systems 2 & 3]
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm looKing forward to eventually hearing NicK's (@Nopiano 's) Linn streamer when I get the chance as I Know he's a big fan, but I have to acKnowledge my Komplete disdain for their uninventive model naming Konvention. Mind you, if the forthKoming Wam Show has a room with some Linn Kit in it I'll Keep Kalm and try to give it a fair hearing. Even if it's called the Linn KocKup, Krisis or Kondom.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online