Loudspeakers for amptastic or similar

robbyrtp

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Sep 28, 2009
Runcorn
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thinking of putting a little system together in the kitchen using the optical out of my smart TV. So was thinking along the lines of a cheap DAC a Amptastic mini or similar and small q acoustics speakers. All items would be on top of a sideboard.
Has anyone got any thoughts on different space saving components.

Lurch

Piss-taker & Gobshite Par Excelle'nce
Wammer Plus
Sep 17, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
At the Daventry show Alchris was driving a pair of A2? Bookshelf speakers with an SMSL amp, 160wpc. I couldn't believe the sound coming of that little £100 amp, it was a wicked little thing. For other space saving components there's the ifi Zen Blue 2, ifi Zen Stream or you could go CCA & FiiO Taishan/Chifi matchbox DAC.

Reactions: robbyrtp

Amormusic

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 27, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thinking of putting a little system together in the kitchen using the optical out of my smart TV. So was thinking along the lines of a cheap DAC a Amptastic mini or similar and small q acoustics speakers. All items would be on top of a sideboard.
Has anyone got any thoughts on different space saving components.
I've literally just been playing with stuff and done this. The Amptastic was attached to some concept 20's I picked up on here. Both the Amptastic and Concept 20's have now been sold to other wammers.

The SQ from my Naim Muso QB is far superior (unsurprisingly as it cost much more) and so the combo didn't cut it for me. A second hand QB can be picked up for around £400. Therefore, careful you don't get to this spend level, otherwise the QB becomes a better choice, imo.

FWIW, I think the Amptastics are great. I've got another one next to my Leak 20 in the living room set up as power amp, so can use as background listening, when the Leak is not in use.

The Amptastics are pretty hard to pick up. They're not often on the bay and are no longer available new.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles