Mains noise

GJO

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 1, 2006
Kent, ,
AKA
Graham
On most Saturdays I am plagued with mains noise,it will be fine later tonight,system sounds harsh and I have to listen at low volumes or not at all.

Our supply is from overhead cables,when I rejigged the house a few years ago I installed a seperate consumer unit,this feeds 4x single unswitched spurs for the hi-fi and 2xunswitched doubles for the telly etc.These were wired with SY screened cable,screen grounded at consumer unit and all earths run in 10mm to a seperate earth spike.

Am seriously considering a Sigmus to see if this will solve the problem as it's pissing me off big time.:Unhappy::Unhappy:

U

Umberto

GJO wrote:

On most Saturdays I am plagued with mains noise,it will be fine later tonight,system sounds harsh and I have to listen at low volumes or not at all.Our supply is from overhead cables,when I rejigged the house a few years ago I installed a seperate consumer unit,this feeds 4x single unswitched spurs for the hi-fi and 2xunswitched doubles for the telly etc.These were wired with SY screened cable,screen grounded at consumer unit and all earths run in 10mm to a seperate earth spike.

Am seriously considering a Sigmus to see if this will solve the problem as it's pissing me off big time.:Unhappy::Unhappy:
Read something somewhere about separate earth spikes. Basically if there is a fault in the main supply, your house can become the earth for the surrounding houses aswell. Have you tried earthing onto the supply earth?

The Hifi Gallery

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 1, 2005
Kinross
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
GJO wrote:

It may or may not, depends on what is causing the noise, give Isotek a phone and describe the kind of noise you get. You may have to get a mains regeneration unit, isoteks Centurion, is due in Feb but around £2k, others aree available, it may be more prudent to find source of noise, and correct it form there.

U

Umberto

Paul wrote:

GJO wrote:
It may or may not, depends on what is causing the noise, give Isotek a phone and describe the kind of noise you get. You may have to get a mains regeneration unit, isoteks Centurion, is due in Feb but around £2k, others aree available, it may be more prudent to find source of noise, and correct it form there.
thumbs_up.gif.3c8ee62eda0e86146178ab30b9facd86.gif

PAG

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 1, 2005
Wirral.
AKA
si
buy one of these m8:

mdh4.jpg

QED Qonduit 6 way filter and conditioner. £220 and REALLY works. I showed Borat at the recent bake-off, Ask him to see what he thought m8.
cool.gif.9d6c72c555b38e519336a6d9b55ca875.gif

GJO

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 1, 2006
Kent, ,
AKA
Graham
Paul wrote:

GJO wrote:
Been playing around today as it's so annoying,found the iec plug into CDP when moved increases noise levels as though it's not making good contact,the unit was in standby at the time,although levels drop when plug is removed,they don't go away entirely.

The house and new earth have been checked by my neighbour who'san electritian,have tried watering rod,which is actually a lightning spike much larger than an earth rod.Voltage checks out when I last checked when it was noisy.

It's a pain,but I bet by 8 PM it will be fine.

The Hifi Gallery

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 1, 2005
Kinross
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
pamela andersons gusset wrote:

buy one of these m8:QED Qonduit 6 way filter and conditioner. £220 and REALLY works. I showed Borat at the recent bake-off, Ask him to see what he thought m8.
ther eis certain moans borne noises that nothing like this will remove, best to find source of noise and tackle it form there first, we tried the qed, and while fine for the money, doesn't perform anything like the admittedly more expensive Isotek orion, (£405 for a 6 way)as for RA superclamp mains block (£475 IIRC)forget it, it's basically 4, 2 way plugs, and a resistor. None of these will get rid of the kind of noiseGJO describes, IMHO

PAG

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 1, 2005
Wirral.
AKA
si
Well, it sorted my mains hash out, better than an isotek (which was £150 more) anyway.
wink.png

The Hifi Gallery

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 1, 2005
Kinross
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes

Well, it sorted my mains hash out, better than an isotek (which was £150 more) anyway.
wink.png
What Isotek? I'm not saying it doesn't work, and it's good value, Even the nova and titan together will not remove ALL mians noises, they will reduce them, but some noise is impossible to remove like this, well you could remove it, but the performance of the it will be a lot worse.

But the qued is good value and it worked for you, thats all that is important.

GJO

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 1, 2006
Kent, ,
AKA
Graham
Paul wrote:

buy one of these m8:QED Qonduit 6 way filter and conditioner. £220 and REALLY works. I showed Borat at the recent bake-off, Ask him to see what he thought m8.
ther eis certain moans borne noises that nothing like this will remove, best to find source of noise and tackle it form there first, we tried the qed, and while fine for the money, doesn't perform anything like the admittedly more expensive Isotek orion, (£405 for a 6 way)as for RA superclamp mains block (£475 IIRC)forget it, it's basically 4, 2 way plugs, and a resistor. None of these will get rid of the kind of noiseGJO describes, IMHO
I did have an Orion and at the time did not notice this problem as much as just lately, changed the valves the other week to see if this may be contributing,the culprit is the amp for some reason.the noise is best described as hummingpredominatly through the midrange driver.

PAG

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 1, 2005
Wirral.
AKA
si
I think it was the Solus? (something like that) It was ok, but a different league compared to the QED. I was (and still am) a sceptic as far as mains filters go, but the QED really worked for me.

I live in an old victorain gaff, with dodgy wiring/mains and the QED sorted it big time.

The Hifi Gallery

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 1, 2005
Kinross
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes

I think it was the Solus? (something like that) It was ok, but a different league compared to the QED. I was (and still am) a sceptic as far as mains filters go, but the QED really worked for me. I live in an old victorain gaff, with dodgy wiring/mains and the QED sorted it big time.
Solus is basically a parralel filter, the orion is a bit more sophisticated, and of couse costs more.

GJO

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 1, 2006
Kent, ,
AKA
Graham
So whats the 30 day deal then Paul,obviously I would need to try one over a few Saturdays to see if it made any improvement.Send it back at my cost obviously and get a refund ??

The Hifi Gallery

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 1, 2005
Kinross
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
GJO wrote:

So whats the 30 day deal then Paul,obviously I would need to try one over a few Saturdays to see if it made any improvement.Send it back at my cost obviously and get a refund ??
pretty much!! and we have them in stock.

GJO

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 1, 2006
Kent, ,
AKA
Graham
Paul wrote:

GJO wrote:
Will call next week,Sat delivery possible ??
possible, for a little extra, or can be delivered to your place of work or another address mon/fri if that helps.
Am an sevice engineer,could be anywere during the week,could you find out the cost,by the way problem cleared about 7PM.

The Hifi Gallery

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 1, 2005
Kinross
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
GJO wrote:

Paul wrote:
GJO wrote:
possible, for a little extra, or can be delivered to your place of work or another address mon/fri if that helps.
Am an sevice engineer,could be anywere during the week,could you find out the cost,by the way problem cleared about 7PM.
£20 for Satruday am delivery

are there any businesses near you that close at 7pm?

GJO

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 1, 2006
Kent, ,
AKA
Graham
Paul wrote:

GJO wrote:
Paul wrote:
GJO wrote:
£20 for Satruday am delivery

are there any businesses near you that close at 7pm?
Costs OK will phone during the week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.