Michell

The_Krell

Wammer
Sep 13, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A thread for your Michell stuff :cool:

I have had two Michell turntables now, first up, my old and first TT, a '70s Focus One, with the Focus Unipivot Arm:

And my current Gyrodec SE

Ah! Happy memories. Try listening to it with the spring covers off and see what you think.

My friends used to call mine Orac - yes I was a Blake's Seven era person.

Reactions: HoopsOnToast

Balle Clorin

Wammer
Nov 23, 2020
Hi Balle , unfortunately it is too expensive in the UK to Buy this and use it only once, the laser is alot cheaper , the shakenspin is fine if you wish to go down that route, it something a manufacture may consider , the platters all seem to be a different speed , due to the tolerances in the manufacturing process, and the pulley sizes , are different on the AC to the DC , The new platter giving a more solid and extended sound, and will pick up the different ways the LP has been Produced, it is early days to comment further , atb pete
Use only once? I use it all the time for tweaking, and comparisons, the turntables do not hold one speed forever, not even from day to day is it the same exactly, it vary each and every day and hour depending on suspension setting ,leveling, humidity, temperature and whatever . Philip Broders Wow and Flutter app is a good option for free and measures speed “ countinously “, not once per revolution like your tool, Once per rev speed is barely useful for average speed over a long time and say very little about the speed quality.

Balle Clorin

Wammer
Nov 23, 2020
Michell Audio?
Well nothing is new except som layout changes on the web page. They post an update the facebook once every 9 months or so ,and new products and tweaks are talked about but nothing ever appear . I will be pleasantly surprised if anything new appears within the next 5 years . Getting good belts should be their first priority , not a new webpage . I feel the new page and name is just a marketing thing with no substance.

Reactions: Tarzan

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Michell Audio?
Well nothing is new except som layout changes on the web page. They post an update the facebook once every 9 months or so ,and new products and tweaks are talked about but nothing ever appear . I will be pleasantly surprised if anything new appears within the next 5 years . Getting good belts should be their first priority , not a new webpage . I feel the new page and name is just a marketing thing with no substance.
You don’t seem to be a fan then. Why’s that?

• Haha
Reactions: Beyond you

Balle Clorin

Wammer
Nov 23, 2020
Well I have sympathy for a small family business and love the design, and wish them well. @lostwin said my meaning in a more polite and elegant way in post 2614. What is needed of development is quite clear .

1. Better belt for better speed stability, my 12y+ belts are much better than any belts sold the last 4 years.

2. Soft feet. The present metal cone feet transmit vibration from motor and whatever it is resting on. A simple spike protector with suitable rubber layer can do good. Or a redesigned foot without spike.

3. More rubber/damping pad under motor house.To transmit less motor vibrations via the resting surface. A package with new feet and motor support pad will work well I think

4. Dampen suspensions springs . They ring . Original Gyro had damping, or someone added some sponge in the photos I saw
5. Pylon suspension option .
6. Tacho motor speed control as the Orbe for Gyro owners .

I am amazed that Michell was able to keep the prices at a reasonable level through decades, while others went out of business or inflated the prices to silly levels. I am not surprised prices had to go up now , everything that goes in to production has increased in cost and Michell are a very small scale manufacturer. I really hope they will do well in the times ahead

Last edited:

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That wasn’t very long to wait!

They’ve obviously got stuff ready to roll out. I saw the announcement on Facebook.
They couldn’t have made it clearer on FB which models it’s for but still people can’t be bothered to read it 😊

Reactions: Nopiano

lostwin

Tinker Bod
Wammer Plus
Nov 26, 2018
Folkestone, Kent
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Looks to be a slight redesign to top and bottom mountings as well.

I'm not convinced that the springs resonating was the biggest issue though, even if it is better that they don't. It's the lateral movement of the chassis allowed by not having the bottom of the spring tethered to the suspension post in some way that causes the smearing IMO. The True Point design addressed this and Solid Air followed suit (in a different way) with their Dark Star update.

Let's see though, anyone going to be the first to try?

lostwin

Tinker Bod
Wammer Plus
Nov 26, 2018
Folkestone, Kent
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Also, I wonder if the spring rate has been changed as well. I reckon it should be below 10hz to be truly effective. The way that the old springs bobbed up and down, it seemed to be much higher than that.

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Looks to be a slight redesign to top and bottom mountings as well.

I'm not convinced that the springs resonating was the biggest issue though, even if it is better that they don't. It's the lateral movement of the chassis allowed by not having the bottom of the spring tethered to the suspension post in some way that causes the smearing IMO. The True Point design addressed this and Solid Air followed suit (in a different way) with their Dark Star update.

Let's see though, anyone going to be the first to try?
I’ll be honest, I had knowledge of these a few months ago but had to say nothing 😊
When they arrive, I’ll update with my findings

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Don’t forget the Orbe can use these. If you take delivery out of the £100 (which is included) they are only about £15 more than the original

• Wow
Reactions: myles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles