Modification madness ?

mac72

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 12, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
But try and find a Sony SIT device or even a humble 2SK170. And don't even think of A spec ones or well matched N and P pairs
I agree finding N and P pairs of 2SK170 might prove quite impossible :ROFLMAO: but if you need any n junction fets 2SK170 drop me PM , I think I have few I don’t need anymore and could match a pair or two

Jazid

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Oct 13, 2009
London
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I believe that without targeted modification the end results will likely be disappointing. With insightful mods there's a decent chance of improvement.

Irrespectively, things are made to a price. As the money goes up the margin goes up and the constraint on parts is lessened; the designer has a freer hand to optimise. So modding higher end kit becomes increasingly risky in terms of success and sell-on price. I wouldn't really consider it. But mid price kit, like the player are definitely constrained. Just visit a dump and see what's in the recycling bin, they wouldn't be dumped after 10 years if they were properly built because they would still work, and be worth fixing in the event of an exceptional event. I'm not saying that player is junk nor that it can't be improved, just tweaking is an option. That option involves SMT components however, so I'd run a mile.

Russ Andrews is presumably adding some silver wire, or a linear supply and a foo fuse, or a shoo-puk crystal quantum field concentrator or something? I won't look at the website 🤑🤢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.