Musical Fidelity Trivista range - why is everyone selling?

gsrai

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Black Country
AKA
Gobind
Is it just me or is there a proliferation of Trivista Integrated and SACD players for sale?

I've not heard them but I do know people have mixed feelings about the KW series so whats going on?

G

They're all trying to get out before they drop a bollock. Resale is attrocious at the moment. I think the cd player isthe steal out of the two. Sacd hasn't taken off really and they all flock like sheep to the next model. I still think the old Nu-Vista range is the pick of the bunch

gsrai

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Black Country
AKA
Gobind
Yeah I know what you mean. These things were £4k a piece when new and you can see them for around £1500 each now.

I couldn't keep one in the house due to size (I would love :love:to buy the amp and would probably have the cd player to match).

Back to my x-series
cry_smile.gif.e6f167d6925baafe229b8957ba771316.gif

G

There's a guy on HFC wants £1850 a piece at the moment but think the poor bugger may have to come lower. I've heard them both and they work best together so i wouldn't split if at all possible. As usual there absolutely nothing wrong with the kit its justAM changing product lines far two quickly and flooding an already deflated market

yoda900

Wammer Plus
Sep 20, 2005
Cheshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
The market will get worse and prices will nosedive.
shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif

Bargains to be had if you haggle and buy to keep as your money will disappear in the medium term so buy to keep and enjoy.

Check the price drop in the last 12 months alone. Direct sales and discounts killing the market for Hi-fi and i've been watching it for 20yrs. :Not Sure:

musicbox

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2005
Edinburgh
AKA
Alan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm sure this was discussed on HFC forum last year. What worries me is that these units were limited production, 750, or 1200 units or such like, many went to USA and other overseas..... yet there are still so many appearing in 2nd hand sites, especially eBay. My conclusion is that they can't be inspiringtheir owners too much.

gsrai

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Black Country
AKA
Gobind
musicbox wrote:

I'm sure this was discussed on HFC forum last year. What worries me is that these units were limited production, 750, or 1200 units or such like, many went to USA and other overseas..... yet there are still so many appearing in 2nd hand sites, especially eBay. My conclusion is that they can't be inspiringtheir owners too much.
Didn't know the issue had already been talked about.

I have a friend with the units and uses some Quad electrostatic speakers and to him they sound amazing. As much as I like the look and finish I must be deaf as when I listened I thought they were good but did not think theyhis stuff was worth£12k of my money.

I'm not so sure that the market for 2 channel is depressed as this would imply a recovery. My conclusion is that lifestyle and convenience will become more mainstream so the manufacturers will have to produce AV stuff that is more musical (like my Arcam AVR250).

I reckon MF will enter the market to compete with all in one solutions as canning the x-series must have left a hole despite the claims of low sales.

I just wish I could keep the stuff as I would buy it straight away.

ErikFH

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 2, 2005
Netherlands
AKA
Erik
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
musicbox wrote:

.... My conclusion is that they can't be inspiringtheir owners too much.
Kevin Deal of Upscale Audio, which is the biggest MF retailer in the US, once (somewhere last year) replied on a a similar comment on Audioasylum, by stating that MF owners are among the mostfaithfulll to a brand. They sell to replace with newerMF stuff.

Lot of Nu Vista owners upgraded to Tri-Vista back then (some others as,asDuvet mentioned, didn't like the difference). So perhaps they move to KW series now.

MF website somewhere states that they wantto stick somelonger to the current production. If so then we might not seemuch sh A5/KW series in thefuture.

E

earl of sodbury

Whatever else Gobind, don't cry your eyes out over the TriVista range - a fully-loaded X-series stack is so very close to what Peter has that it's embarassing...

And all that cheesy gold trim... :puke:

cheers, Paul

Davewhityetagain

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
, ,
Is it just me or is there a proliferation of Trivista Integrated and SACD players for sale?
The reason MF stuff is up for sale is something is coming out ten times better at half the price which will beat anything by anybody costing 59 times as much :dude:

E

Effem

I have found that the further up the range you go with MF the less you seem to get in terms of sound quality. Very disappointed with the A308 pre and to me it was no better than the A3cr pre I bought before that.

Had an Aura pre which I sold to buythe A3cr and it was pants by comparison. Sold the A3 and bought a Magnum pre which was sublime. What on earth possessed me to buy the A308 I do not know but within a short period of time the A308 went and was replaced by the Parasound Halo 3. Smart move.

All of the these other pre's widdled all over the A308 by a significant margin and all were much cheaper than the A308. Yes the A308 was impressive looking but the poor sound, god-awful remote control,the lack of balanced connections and residuals that drop like a stone for a £2,000 bit of kit is inexcusable IMHO

E

earl of sodbury

Have to agree with Frank - sad but true, much though I love what the X-series does I wouldn't pay the new prices, and if... er...who am I kidding?, when I eventually upgrade it won't be to more upscale MF because it's just not that much better... Design is OK, possibly even at circuit level, but component quality is low - no better than budget ranges elsewhere, and I strongly suspect this is chifely what holds it back.

churz, eofs

gsrai

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Black Country
AKA
Gobind
earl of sodbury wrote:

Whatever else Gobind, don't cry your eyes out over the TriVista range - a fully-loaded X-series stack is so very close to what Peter has that it's embarassing...And all that cheesy gold trim... :puke:

cheers, Paul
Paul - fair point. The funny thing is I'm, glad I asked the question as I often wondered what the difference between the old A308 and A3.2 was (like I said earlier I didn't think that much of the Trivista when I actually heard it - it wasn't bad but I didn't understand the fuss).

Maybe I'm not deaf after all:eek:j: and the upper end MF gear isn't as good as Kessler and co. say it is.

I'm with you on full prices -the stuff depreciates worse than a car! Only by ex-dem/used that's my motto (having said that I do loke the X-series for its styling and sound, much nicer than Cyrus and dare I say it some Linn stuff)

bommer

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 25, 2005
STEVENAGE
AKA
JOHN
Effem wrote:

All of the these other pre's widdled all over the A308 by a significant margin and all were much cheaper than the A308. Yes the A308 was impressive looking but the poor sound, god-awful remote control,the lack of balanced connections and residuals that drop like a stone for a £2,000 bit of kit is inexcusable IMHO
depends on what you had partnering your 308 pre frank,

as for all the other pre's widdled all over it,umm not too sure

about that statement,seems also that(to me anyway)that mf is

happier when it is partnered with its own equipment and a decent

set of speakers;)

E

Effem

I don't as a rule knock kit John unless I have firstly owned it myself and secondlyI feel it's rightly deserved and the A308 pre I had for it's RRP selling price needs to be put into proper context. If it was half it's originalRRP I would be happy to say it's all a matter of taste and what might not have suited me could easily please many others and suit them, which I know it does, you included.

Take the Parasound Halo 3 pre for example; £600 brand new, has balanced inputs and outputs, a loop through for your AV or whatever, 4 other line inputs, two sets of RCA outputs for bi-amping, balance and tone controls, a greatphono stage, a ground lift switch, a remote control that works faultlessly every timeand it sounds a heap better than the A308 which has vague treble definition, flat imaging and a ponderous bass output and it didn't matter what power amp and speakersI connected it to as I had 3 sets at the time.

Yes it is big and heavy with a lovely lit up beast of of a volume knob, the light show at switch on is a delight, it has massive mains chokes which purport to 'clean up' the mains (which I was never convinced about),but that aside it has to sound what you paid for it and give me a plain box with no frills for less money that can deliver the sound I want. In other words, spend the money on the inside where it really counts.

As a secondhand buy it's a belter for £800 but at £2k it'sup against serious competition and not particularly good value considering it sounded not one jot better than the A3cr I had before it, which in turn isn't any better than the X series

AdamK

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 29, 2005
Bucks/Herts border
Residuals on MF are piss poor - If you want strong residuals then Naims the game.:naimee:

Thers not much KW gear around though.

Back in AugustI was offered a KW500 at a (secondhand) price that I found too tempting(6 months on the clock £2.5k as against £4k)

It was a seriously good amp but just a bit too much of a monster for the K household to contemplate (it would have saved on heating costs in the winter though
wink.gif.25d7e4815f6a2fee62f4117deebb27e0.gif
)

Anyways I moved it on at a profit through HiFiForSale
thumbs_up.gif.3c8ee62eda0e86146178ab30b9facd86.gif
:^

bommer

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 25, 2005
STEVENAGE
AKA
JOHN
Effem wrote:

I don't as a rule knock kit John unless I have firstly owned it myself and secondlyI feel it's rightly deserved and the A308 pre I had for it's RRP selling price needs to be put into proper context. If it was half it's originalRRP I would be happy to say it's all a matter of taste and what might not have suited me could easily please many others and suit them, which I know it does, you included.Take the Parasound Halo 3 pre for example; £600 brand new, has balanced inputs and outputs, a loop through for your AV or whatever, 4 other line inputs, two sets of RCA outputs for bi-amping, balance and tone controls, a greatphono stage, a ground lift switch, a remote control that works faultlessly every timeand it sounds a heap better than the A308 which has vague treble definition, flat imaging and a ponderous bass output and it didn't matter what power amp and speakersI connected it to as I had 3 sets at the time.

Yes it is big and heavy with a lovely lit up beast of of a volume knob, the light show at switch on is a delight, it has massive mains chokes which purport to 'clean up' the mains (which I was never convinced about),but that aside it has to sound what you paid for it and give me a plain box with no frills for less money that can deliver the sound I want. In other words, spend the money on the inside where it really counts.

As a secondhand buy it's a belter for £800 but at £2k it'sup against serious competition and not particularly good value considering it sounded not one jot better than the A3cr I had before it, which in turn isn't any better than the X series
you are entitled to your opinion frank and i agree with you
to regards to it's original price 2k way overpriced in anyone's eyes.
but for £725 i still think it sounds pretty good to my ears anyway:)
regards,bommer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.